What are the odds we see a foce-ghost Anakin play a role in Kylo's character arc?

DANA-kin Skywalker

Well, they had no problem using an old character (Han) to drive the overall story AND play a role in Kylo's character in TFA.

Kylo didn't think too highly of Han as a father. He said as much. He clearly idolizes his grandfather; I can accept the fact maybe the force spirit of his idolizations could cause Kylo to do some soul-searching if he told him how much being Darth Vader sucked.

Okay, new character or at least one present in the story, such as Luke or Leia. But I'd question the use of Anakin, or even Obi Wan or Yoda as a force ghost when they've had minimal impact to Ren's story - again, why not show up before he killed his own Father? No he didn't think highly of Han but killing him is still highly significant.

However wouldn't be at all surprised that if we do see Force ghosts they show up for Luke and in turn Rey. I could see Ren being frustrated/angry that the ghost of Anakin Skywalker appears to Rey and not him. I think that would work better for the story, not that Anakin's force ghost plays a role in his arc but the absence of him does.

HC-Anakin Ghost might best be used via voiceover and quick dream sequence due to meditation. Kylo Ben would be trying to concentrate about McGuffin and HC-Anakin Ghost would speak to him. Kylo Ben could then deny it as real, choosing to continue to believe his intrepretation of his grandfather.

It would be one of those subtle/not so political mirrors that SW likes to do. At the same time it pulls in more lore/relations for Anakin to this saga and furthers the downward spiral of Kylo Ben.

Afterthought: This serves as an echo to prior films, as SW is very fond of doing because of it's fantasy structure. Kylo Ben denying a truth that HC-Anakin Ghost tells him works the same as Luke initially denying a truth that Vader told him in ESB. Even better thematically that it's Anakin in both moments.

I always liked the theory that Rey is a reincarnated Anakin, sent back to finish the role of the chosen one and heal the galaxy. Rey's interactions with Kylo would take on an even deeper significance.

I have mixed feelings about that. On paper, I think I like the idea of the Force every so often "choosing its champion" by giving a chosen one great power to...bring balance or whatever the hell the Force wants in the galaxy. It's kind of a neat idea that makes the force mysterious and all powerful. However, when you interpret it literally, such as "Rey IS Anakin reincarnated", or Rey=chosen one, Ani=chosen one therefore Rey=Ani, as driver said it makes things clumsy and awkward. So, they probably wont do this.

What they probably WILL do is put a spin on the same idea like so: they won't outright SAY she's the chosen one, but simply imply the hell out of it by making her unusually super-duper powerful. The explanation for this will include language like amazing potential, the will of the force, it's choosing you as it's champion, embrace your destiny, yada-yada-yada. She'll gaze at the lightsaber, referencing the force vision in TFA, go do the thing, save the universe making the force happy again.

I always liked the theory that Rey is a reincarnated Anakin, sent back to finish the role of the chosen one and heal the galaxy. Rey's interactions with Kylo would take on an even deeper significance.

I have mixed feelings about that. On paper, I think I like the idea of the Force every so often "choosing its champion" by giving a chosen one great power to...bring balance or whatever the hell the Force wants in the galaxy. It's kind of a neat idea that makes the force mysterious and all powerful. However, when you interpret it literally, such as "Rey IS Anakin reincarnated", or Rey=chosen one, Ani=chosen one therefore Rey=Ani, as driver said it makes things clumsy and awkward. So, they probably wont do this.

What they probably WILL do is put a spin on the same idea like so: they won't outright SAY she's the chosen one, but simply imply the hell out of it by making her unusually super-duper powerful. The explanation for this will include language like amazing potential, the will of the force, it's choosing you as it's champion, embrace your destiny, yada-yada-yada. She'll gaze at the lightsaber, referencing the force vision in TFA, go do the thing, save the universe making the force happy again.

I can see it being treated like that. One of the first lines in TFA was something like "without the jedi there can be no balance to the force." Finding the jedi (or whatever was actually said there) is being equated with "bringing balance to the force," and we all know its Rey that's responsible for the former. So we are kind of already being told in a round about way that Rey is bringing balance.

I'm not actually expecting Rey = Anakin, but I disagree that it wouldn't be cool. I like the idea of the chosen one as some kind of spiritual force being that can take on different avatars: first Anakin, then Rey. It would go a long way toward explaining how we see the Anakin force ghost in ROTJ when Anakin never learned the trick from Qui-Gon. Its his natural state. And the SW saga wouldn't be about Luke, or Anakin, or the Skywalker family, but about the chosen one. I know I'm dreaming here, but I think It'd be awesome.

I dislike very much this idea of Rey = Anakin Reincarnated. I believe it is so bad it would be an insult to fan fiction to even say it's a fan fiction like idea... and I dislike very much fan fiction.

Two Ideas I do dig for Rey, but still don't see them as high percentage possibilities, are:

1. Rey is somehow related to Kenobi. Maybe this is a plot line that gets laid out in the saga films and then flowers in a Kenobi spin off film like Rogue One and Red Cup. The upside is this brings Kenobi back into relevance. The downside is this likely requires a ton of nuEU backstory and I dislike very much that shit.

2. Rey is Ben Solo's daughter. We don't know Ben's age nor Rey's age. Sure we know the actors ages, but that doesn't mean anything. It could be why Ben is so interested in the news that Han, BB8 and company are traveling with a girl. The upside is this contains Rey's story to the saga and doesn't make Luke a deadbeat (because if he was just running away anyway why wouldn't he take her with him if Rey is his??). The downside here is Ben makes no mention of it during her interrogation, neither do Han or Leia but it's not necessarily a deal breaker.

Afterthought:

In regards to #2, it doesn't need to be a deal breaker that Ben doesn't reference this to Rey during interrogation nor Han and Leia saying anything IF Rey was hidden similar to Luke and Leia. Yes, I know TFA shows this, but does it? It could be showing the second hiding attempt of her.

Perhaps Rey was living in hiding with her family, that being her mother and Great Uncle Luke. Maybe Ben turns into Kylo either when his daughter is a new baby or shortly before, lending credence to both Kylo, Han and Leia not recognizing Rey and yet feeling something about her.

So... the second hiding attempt which is shown in TFA is because Kylo finds the mother and Luke. The mother is then killed and Luke disappears perhaps to make Kylo want to look for him (thinking his daughter would be with Luke and not just on some planet).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.