What the **** is this Darth Maul ****?

Darth Ender

Outside of seeing the movies, I am fairly out of the loop with the latest Star Wars news and rumors. Last night I stumbled on the fact that Disney brought Maul back. I thought he was dead.

I have heard good things about Rebels and Maul was one of the few awesome things of the PT so I am open-minded about this whole thing. Is his reintegration into the story make sense or does it feel forced?

He's been alive since TPM, he basically escaped after being cut in half and hid away for 10 years going mad in the process. The clone wars introduced his two brothers Savage and Feral (true story) who eventually tracked down Maul after a tip off form some darkside cult sisters. When they found him he had spider legs (another true story) but eventually they got him some super battledroid legs (yet another true story) as they teamed up to have revenge against Kenobi. Maul and his brother then killed a load of Jedi and had a few unresolved encounters with Kenobi. I think thelast we see of Maul in the clone wars is Palpatine killing his brother and overpowering Maul in a battle, forcing Maul to retreat.

Since then Maul has been hunting down sith and jedi artefacts to make himself all powerful and in Rebels has been grooming Ezra - the main Anakin-like character. The episodes with Maul have been entertaining.

I seem to remember in an interview years ago that George Lucas said he wanted Obi-Wan to cut Maul in half to signify that Maul is gone and not coming back. Does anyone else remember Lucas saying something like that? If he did, I guess he changed his mind...wouldn't be the first time. :D

I also remember him saying that one of the main things with the prequels was Palpatine having to go through a few apprentices before he finally gets Vader.

Found it:

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/star-wars-archive-george-lucas-1999-interview/

It's not about him... ha, ha, ha. Obviously everyone likes the villain better than they like the heroes, that's sort of a tradition. And obviously I was trying to make a villain who was sufficient to replace Darth Vader, because Vader was such a great villain, I needed something to stop people saying, "ah, what a wimpy villain next to Darth Vader." I wanted something that revealed a little more understanding of what an apprentice is, because this is obviously where this is all going. At one point, when Obi-Wan kills Darth Maul, he just fell in the pit. I looked at it and thought this isn't going to work because, if people like him enough, they're going to want him to come back and they're going to assume somehow he gets out of it. So I had to cut him in half to say that this guy's gone, he's history, he ain't coming back. I'll come up with another apprentice. The whole issue of having apprentices, poor Darth Sidious trying to replenish his apprentice supply, is one of the main plot points.

Wait-- George Lucas had a great thought, then years after went back on it tenfold to make it dumb? NO WAY!

But yeah-- it was a big surprise in TCW that Maul was alive and had a couple of arcs. TCW was cancelled before anything was resolved, so they picked up the thread in Rebels and have implied this season he and Obi-Wan will meet again.

I seem to remember in an interview years ago that George Lucas said he wanted Obi-Wan to cut Maul in half to signify that Maul is gone and not coming back. Does anyone else remember Lucas saying something like that? If he did, I guess he changed his mind...wouldn't be the first time. :D

I also remember him saying that one of the main things with the prequels was Palpatine having to go through a few apprentices before he finally gets Vader.

Found it:

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/star-wars-archive-george-lucas-1999-interview/

It's not about him... ha, ha, ha. Obviously everyone likes the villain better than they like the heroes, that's sort of a tradition. And obviously I was trying to make a villain who was sufficient to replace Darth Vader, because Vader was such a great villain, I needed something to stop people saying, "ah, what a wimpy villain next to Darth Vader." I wanted something that revealed a little more understanding of what an apprentice is, because this is obviously where this is all going. At one point, when Obi-Wan kills Darth Maul, he just fell in the pit. I looked at it and thought this isn't going to work because, if people like him enough, they're going to want him to come back and they're going to assume somehow he gets out of it. So I had to cut him in half to say that this guy's gone, he's history, he ain't coming back. I'll come up with another apprentice. The whole issue of having apprentices, poor Darth Sidious trying to replenish his apprentice supply, is one of the main plot points.

I remember that, but how did losing apprentices drive the plot? Maul was in TPM for a hot minute and a duel and Dooku entered AotC at the beginning of the final act and died not even at the end of the first act of RotS. Why couldn't Maul/ Dooku be the same person? Just turn Maul into a former lost padawan of Qui-Gon or some shit.

He's been alive since TPM, he basically escaped after being cut in half and hid away for 10 years going mad in the process. The clone wars introduced his two brothers Savage and Feral (true story)

I've been watching Clone Wars just recently for the first time. Maybe I forgot already, but I don't remember this Feral guy. Savage Opress became Dooku's apprentice and later he tracked down his brother Maul. Is this Feral guy someone retconned in Rebels?

Oh and SW cartoons are not canon.

But they can be! We just had Saw from TCW show up in Rogue One, after all.

He's been alive since TPM, he basically escaped after being cut in half and hid away for 10 years going mad in the process. The clone wars introduced his two brothers Savage and Feral (true story)

I've been watching Clone Wars just recently for the first time. Maybe I forgot already, but I don't remember this Feral guy. Savage Opress became Dooku's apprentice and later he tracked down his brother Maul. Is this Feral guy someone retconned in Rebels?

Feral was in TCW during season three when he fought Ventress with Savage! I don't think they've mentioned him at all in Rebels.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Monster

It's canon. Even I, who absolutely abhor The Clone Wars, consider it canon. Possibly Rebels as well, even though it is Disney canon, if my favorite Star Wars EU chronologist's reasoning is sound. But I will probably not watch it until an end to the series is in sight, just as I binge-watched the entirety of The Clone Wars on Blu-Ray.

In my opinion, where the show really shined was in the episodes involving the clones. The plots were sound and the characters were very interesting. Mostly everything else was crap.

The whole canon/ non-canon argument is ridiculous to me because this is all, you know, fiction anyways. Just like the stories you like. The whole point of Star Wars is to bring enjoyment.

Who gives a shit what not real thing actually did not happen versus something else that did not happen?

I didnt say they cant be enjoyable, its just I refuse to acknowledge them as canon because the animation wouldn't fit if I was watching I-IX. Im sure there will be plenty of new star wars live action films without episode numbers, and when that day comes itll prolly annoy me too. For now I'm one of those people who call Rogue One Episode 3.5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.