LGBTQIAPK

Marc DuQuesne

Marc sorta has a point. The alphabet chain really is kinda silly.

Can't we just start using a term like "non-heterosexual" or something?

I mean, with race and ethnicity, we just label non-whites usually as "minorities." Not HBAOWEITHA;FKVNOXICFH, where the H means Hispanic, B means Black, and on and on.

Not sure why we can't do that with sexual orientation as well.

But, can we start with who "we' are? Who gets to make the edict?

Because I have a lesbian sister-in-law that is offended if I don't know what every letter stands for. Makes is a real bitch when they add a new one every week.

Are you sure this is all that offends her? Could it more that she's more bugged by your possible attitude, real or perceived, that the

idea of sliding-scale sexual identity is silly to you? I sort of doubt the entire conflict rests on unwieldy acronyms, but I don't know what your

interactions with your SIL are like so I'm just guessing. Does it matter that she's gay in this context? I'm asking sincerely-you offered that

and again-I don't want to assume your motive.

Marc sorta has a point. The alphabet chain really is kinda silly.

Can't we just start using a term like "non-heterosexual" or something?

I mean, with race and ethnicity, we just label non-whites usually as "minorities." Not HBAOWEITHA;FKVNOXICFH, where the H means Hispanic, B means Black, and on and on.

Not sure why we can't do that with sexual orientation as well.

I'm not saying there should be an edict. By 'we' I mean society in general.

A term will probably organically emerge in time anyway. It's just too unwieldy to use the string of letters; like if I"m giving a public speech or something, it just sounds silly and ruins your flow by spelling out a bunch of letters when you want to say something like "I support policies that benefit the L-G-B-T-Q-I-A-P-K community."

What term eventually arises, I assume will likely come from the community itself. Maybe it'll start with something like "those with diverse sexual orientations" and eventually it'll be shortened down to a one or two syllable word (or acronym) that's quick/easy to say.

Usually it starts with our intellectual betters deciding to change English and then it flowing down to style book edicts (particularly for news organizations), University guidelines, and textbook changes.

Usually, without permission from the folks that think the changes are unnecessary and stupid. They just have to go along with it because progress.

How and why do you know this...

:rolleyes:

Everyone knows that.

Because I have a lesbian sister-in-law that is offended if I don't know what every letter stands for. Makes is a real bitch when they add a new one every week.

I don't know what your interactions with your SIL are like so I'm just guessing.

That is the truth of it, and it isn't your fault. I haven't given any background. The offense is not real. We joke around with each other. She is 18 years younger than my wife and I have known her since she was 2. I knew she was gay before she did. As the only Atheist in the family I was the only one not throwing the hell card. She says I am her brother not because I am married to her sister but because she doesn't remember me not being around.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.