The Trump Administration 2017-

Ms. Spam

• 2 weeks later...

Hypothetical question for anyone that knows the answer.

Should this investigation uncover irrefutable evidence that Russia did interfere in our elections at the request of and with full knowledge of the Trump campaign and Trump himself, what then happens? If the entire election is invalidated, do we do it again? Do we kick out Trump and get Pence? Shouldn't Pence go as well since he was elected by the same campaign? What would actually happen? What's supposed to happen?

Unless there is proof that Russians interfered in the Electoral College, I don't think there is anything to be done. The EC may be just a rubber stamp nowadays, but it is the one that actually votes for the President.

Thank you for that little bit of mansplaining. :rolleyes:

I'd think it'd have to go to the next in the line of succession, speaker of the house. I don't know, maybe there'd be a special election or something? Hard to say for something with no precedent (in this country at least).

Has something similar ever happened in another country? When I get a chance I might look into that.

It wasn't intended to be mansplaining, so I apologize for any condescension. I have been trying to be less antagonistic. But what do you expect the answer to be? If I had said the situation is unprecedented, as Krawlie did, would you not have also said I was mansplaining?

Look, just tell us the answer you want, and I'm sure someone will give it to you.

What would actually happen? What's supposed to happen?

The line of succession is clearly laid out in the Constitution. Pence was elected vice-president and, lacking any wrongdoing on his part, he would become president until the next election.

Although, frankly, the whole Russia thing feels like wishful thinking more than a real scandal.

It wasn't intended to be mansplaining, so I apologize for any condescension. I have been trying to be less antagonistic. But what do you expect the answer to be? If I had said the situation is unprecedented, as Krawlie did, would you not have also said I was mansplaining?

Look, just tell us the answer you want, and I'm sure someone will give it to you.

Krawlie actually addressed my questions. Nowhere do I see where I'd asked anything about the electoral college or implied that I didn't know what it is or how our elections work. If I knew the answer, I wouldn't be asking the question.

The line of succession is clearly laid out in the Constitution. Pence was elected vice-president and, lacking any wrongdoing on his part, he would become president until the next election.

Although, frankly, the whole Russia thing feels like wishful thinking more than a real scandal.

Sure if Trump is merely found guilty of "wrong-doing", but what if, like I said, somehow it's invalidated the entire election? Because, like I said, that same invalidated election is also the one that elected Pence. So would we just get rid of both of them and move on to Ryan? Or would we, as Krawlie suggested, hold some sort of special election?

I know it's unprecedented in this country, so nobody can say for certain what would happen. What I'm asking is if anyone has any insight on what the possibilities are.

OK, fine. You didn't ask about the EC, but as I understand it the Russians could've bribed and threatened every voter in the US to get them to vote for Trump, and it wouldn't matter at all. The legally binding election results are those of the EC, so if the EC wasn't tampered or interfered with in any way, the general election results, even if they were interfered with somehow, shouldn't matter at all. That's why I shortcut straight to mentioning the EC. I didn't intend it to be a stealth insult about your intelligence or gender.

If you want to discuss the succession, then I suppose Ryan would be the President if Trump and Pence had to be removed. But I don't know of any laws that allow for special elections of the President and Vice President. Therefore Ryan would serve until 2020.

Sure if Trump is merely found guilty of "wrong-doing", but what if, like I said, somehow it's invalidated the entire election?

The simple answer is that the election can't be invalidated. Even if Trump got elected through shady means, there's no mechanism for calling for a do-over on an election.

Tyler pretty much set that precedent back in 1841. Congress hated him (if you want a history of the Senate rejecting Supreme Court nominees, look at the contempt they showed to Tyler some time), and the precedent that the VP would become president until the next quadrennial election hadn't been set yet. It was very much an open question at the time whether they would call for a new election later that year and they would have if they could. Tyler put his foot down and declared himself president, Congress was powerless to force him out, and that was that. Another 8 VPs have followed his lead and finished out a dead or resigned president's term.

There's no reason to believe that Pence would feel compelled to resign himself, or Ryan for that matter if things were to fall into his lap.

There is one interesting historical note though. The Presidential Succession Act of 1792 included a provision that if the president and vice-president were unable to fill the office, then elections would be held either that December or the next one if it was within 2 months. For example, if the conspiracy to assassinate Lincoln had successfully killed Johnson as well (as was the plan) then Lafayette Foster who was President pro tempore of the Senate would have served as acting president for about 6 months until a new president was elected even though Lincoln was only 6 weeks into his term at the time of his death.

Nothing in the current law calls for a new election though. Even if both Trump and Pence were tossed out of office, it would just go to Ryan until 2020. And if not Ryan then Orrin Hatch.

How many transcripts of phone calls by Trump and his associates have been leaked to embarrass him since the election? Obama's hit squad probably has every international phone call Trump (or anyone he knows) has made in the last 8 years. Does anyone actually believe that if there was evidence of collusion it wouldn't be on CNN right now?

Yes... I think the point was going with the next in line that was not elected by political manipulating by Russia. Pence gets the boot because he was on the ballot too.

As to the argument about wut do? I mean it's too late now. Gullible people were suckered in by propaganda regardless of where it came from. One group of believers simply out voted people who had a different idea of what constitutes news and reality. The actually voting process was not defrauded. People's choices were manipulated or pushed in one direction or another. Imagine if it hadn't been Hillary on the ballot? Would the outcome have been different?

While it is pretty disconcerting that Russia had a hand in some things and it would be good to know how far Russia mucked about in our politics, in reality people voted and we elected what we elected. The actual voting process had very little fraud.

Anyone else setting up a VPN?

Snowden revealed in 2013 that the NSA routinely defeats VPNs.

That's via targeted monitoring, not searching through backlogged history.

Wrong. They save everything because they don't know what the encrypted data is. They are cracking the keys later then accessing the data. There is no way to do it real time unless they already have the key or have compromised the local systems.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.