The Trump Administration 2017-

Ms. Spam

I don’t get the Pelosi hate. I don’t think she’s worse than any other recent Speaker. It isn’t a job for a decent person, or anyone who potentially wants a different job in government. Pelosi seems reasonably good at it, and is one of the few who can even moderately connect the different factions of the House Democrats. I mean, I get the Republican hate, because they’re going to hate anyone, but why do non-Republicans have such strong feelings?

She is hella stupid, gives embarrassing soundbites, and is an easy target.

In terms of inside baseball stuff, she's not liked by some in the party because she's very protective of her own power via funding and such. Basically, you get on her bad side, you can kiss your chances for advancement and possibly your seat goodbye. You can decide for yourself whether that makes her effective.

I don't buy that. I think they thought they would have a better shot if Trump wasn't performing for the cameras.

I was trying for nice but I can definitely see your point and agree. I don't know if you can actually negotiate with Trump. If things don't go his way he hopes the lawyers can fix it - as he's probably the most litigious business owner I've ever heard of. He's an entertainer type personality and is not committed to one particular thing besides getting rich. Even the staunch GOP side of my family can agree he's basically giant ego first and nothing else comes from it. The thing that kills me about that meeting is he's sticking to this wall even after his original promise was Mexico would pay for it. And now he's arguing childishly with people his age about funding for his wall through Congress. There's so much I can do with 1.5 billion offered instead to make the border more secure. Hell they're already tearing down the concertina wire put up by the Army when he deployed them here to protect the border.

More than likely his personality is why he's going to have a hard time hiring a new chief of staff when Kelly leaves.

I don’t get the Pelosi hate. I don’t think she’s worse than any other recent Speaker. It isn’t a job for a decent person, or anyone who potentially wants a different job in government. Pelosi seems reasonably good at it, and is one of the few who can even moderately connect the different factions of the House Democrats. I mean, I get the Republican hate, because they’re going to hate anyone, but why do non-Republicans have such strong feelings?

She is hella stupid, gives embarrassing soundbites, and is an easy target.

In terms of inside baseball stuff, she's not liked by some in the party because she's very protective of her own power via funding and such. Basically, you get on her bad side, you can kiss your chances for advancement and possibly your seat goodbye. You can decide for yourself whether that makes her effective.

She's Californian which I think people - at least here in Texas - think is BAD. I just want new people to learn and make things happen. It's part of who I am as a teacher. We should challenge ourselves and I think it would be good for newer Congressmen/women to learn this job and do it. There's a lot of dumb stuff said especially over a career spanning hers. Other representatives have said some dumb sound bites too. And yes, protecting her power structure. Definitely agree with that.

Mattis resigned. Looks like basically in protest to the sudden Syria withdrawal yesterday. That's simultaneously mundane (quaint even) and more important than a lot of the things making up the news cycle.

Yup. It's on the mind of a lot of my military friends. I teach in a school with a lot of military families and last nights Christmas Choral Concert was rife with guys and gals listening to their kids and kinda sounding out the idea of Mattis retiring and what it may mean to them. This is big news to them and really impacts them. No telling who's going to step up and fill the void because Mattis was pretty smart. A lot of improvement was happening internally. Syria withdrawal is serious and shows a real lack of understanding by Trump of how the world works and his love of Russia.

Mattis really clashed with Trump over some things though and Syria was just the final straw. Trans people serving and the parade and sending troops to the border. I read his letter and he's super tactful but still some how manages to convey some pretty strong points.

More than likely his personality is why he's going to have a hard time hiring a new chief of staff when Kelly leaves.

Looks like he already has one applicant:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2018/12/12/jose-canseco-volunteers-president-trump-chief-staff/2296413002/

Is this the beginning of the Idiocracy? :D

OMG! I hope so!

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-denies-pelosi-aircraft-for-foreign-trip-in-response-to-call-for-state-of-the-union-delay

Lol. This is the kind of stuff I'd think about doing if I(me as is not potential politician me) were president. I've joked at Bucs games before that if I had the power I'd have the opposing team bus stopped by cops on the way to the stadium and have the players frisked.

Not a good look, but we left "presidential" a long time ago. Thanks for the laugh though.

I saw this and laughed out loud. This becomes really bizarre though because at the heart of it is thousands of employees being asked to work without pay. I sometimes barely have motivation for my second job or grading papers or getting ready for school at the end of the night but if you worked for the TSA would you want to go to work with lots of weird passengers without getting paid on your feet all day?

If you mean is there enough publicly available evidence, the answer is a resounding no. If all of the reports from unnamed sources turn out to be true, then probably.

Republicans aren't voting to impeach or convict Trump unleas Republican voters move away from him, so the idea that he would've been impeached is probably not true.

We need more workers to process claims faster right now.

In any of the shutdown negotiations, has anyone said anything about this? All Ive heard about is steel slats and DREAMers. I would think that budgeting for a hiring increase in immigration would be win/win and a big selling point - creates jobs in the US, and processes through the asylum claims faster. But what do I know?

Do you guys think there is enough evidence now that the Russians and Trump did conspire to mess with our democracy?

No.

But I do think the stuff that came out about Cohen lying under oath at his request - if proven true - is still pretty damning.

Maybe. Who knows anymore.

I think someone above is right about real estate dealings and laws being broken. Republicans won't breach that because it would look bad considering what they did to Clinton on Whitewater. I definitely think we should start seeing some tax returns. Trump is weak so he's just not going to get much blame because he can't even spell hamburger which plays to others manipulating the events for their benefits better. But sometimes I think it's all fake so these guys fall on their swords for him like Cohen and Manafort and his sons and he's going to skate off free. Which makes my sense of justice really feel bad - like it is shirked by a kid I trusted but now I give the beedy-eye too. I hope he dies a pauper like a few other presidents.

I think someone above is right about real estate dealings and laws being broken. Republicans won't breach that because it would look bad considering what they did to Clinton on Whitewater. I definitely think we should start seeing some tax returns. Trump is weak so he's just not going to get much blame because he can't even spell hamburger which plays to others manipulating the events for their benefits better. But sometimes I think it's all fake so these guys fall on their swords for him like Cohen and Manafort and his sons and he's going to skate off free. Which makes my sense of justice really feel bad - like it is shirked by a kid I trusted but now I give the beedy-eye too. I hope he dies a pauper like a few other presidents.

We live in a world where typing on our cellphones leads to typos and autocorrect mishaps all the time. Trump does it he makes news. Coffee, Melania, and hamburger misspells make front page news. Ben Shapiro suggested that if feeding Clemson hamburgers and pizza makes headlines then maybe just maybe you're life isn't as bad as you might think.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.