The Trump Administration 2017-

Ms. Spam

This thing where they're trying to discredit Fauci by pointing out his prior "mistakes" about the virus is really odd to me. Fauci made those statements based on what we knew at the time. Doesn't the fact that he has periodically updated his statements speak to his willingness to assimilate new information? Highlighting those old statements by Fauci now only emphasizes that he is someone who bases his views on evidence and empirical data. Is that really the message the white house is wanting to send? It reminds me of an argument I had here once upon a time with a creationist who said that scientists were hurting their credibility by pointing out their own previous misconceptions about dinosaurs. I guess the health experts are expected to make one claim and then defend it to the death no matter what?

If people would vote locally, where it directly effects them and they have influence, change would trickle up.

I used to agree with that sentiment, but because people often vote party above all, even to the detriment of their own demographics' interest. Not to mention the Federal Government is too strong for any local policy to make a difference.

Fauci, and the other experts that have to react before the science catches up, are in an impossible position. I know a lot of people who will never believe another word he says though, that whole lying to the public about the effectiveness of face masks so that there would be enough for the healthcare providers ruined his credibility.

This thing where they're trying to discredit Fauci by pointing out his prior "mistakes" about the virus is really odd to me. Fauci made those statements based on what we knew at the time. Doesn't the fact that he has periodically updated his statements speak to his willingness to assimilate new information? Highlighting those old statements by Fauci now only emphasizes that he is someone who bases his views on evidence and empirical data. Is that really the message the white house is wanting to send? It reminds me of an argument I had here once upon a time with a creationist who said that scientists were hurting their credibility by pointing out their own previous misconceptions about dinosaurs. I guess the health experts are expected to make one claim and then defend it to the death no matter what?

This administration just attacks everyone that doesn't suck up to it. And they use two tactics; accuse the 'other side' of exactly what they're guilty of (I don't know if this is meant to confuse or lend legitimacy) or discredit the other side-and it doesn't really matter what words and phrases they use to do so or even if the discredit is accurate. Trump's fans do not GAF. ALL they need is someone to berate and call names

If people would vote locally, where it directly effects them and they have influence, change would trickle up.

I used to agree with that sentiment, but because people often vote party above all, even to the detriment of their own demographics' interest. Not to mention the Federal Government is too strong for any local policy to make a difference.
Honestly, even at the local level, the parties are a good ol' boys club who pick and choose the candidates they want to put forth. I have a friend who is trying to move up in the local political scene and she keeps getting blocked by backroom deals and handpicked phenoms. But I also agree that the federal government is so strong that I almost see no point in states rights at this point.

- statues being torn down. The problem here is the torn down part. Despite what you think of the statues it us against the law to do it. There are proper and civilized ways to go about this. Talk to the cities. That way Frederick Douglas statues don't come down and make you look like you really didn't know Thomas Jefferson from George Jefferson.

- movies being edited or removed. Racism solved folks! A disclaimer is going to be put on Gone With the Wind. I'm going to find a copy of Soul Man on Blu-ray before that gets the axe.

- tv shows cancelled. It's more the why to me. Eventually the purity tests catch up to people and then everything gets cancelled. I will admit that Roseanne has been a better show since she was fired.

These have all been fascist acts from a mob of woke people. And to what end? Are we closer as a people? We seem to be at each other's throats even more than last year it the year before that.

I'm blessed to live a life where if I shur off the news I see a much more positive world than what I'm told there is.

You have an odd definition of the word "fascist".

A few statues have been "torn down". Many more were voted on and removed purposefully by the people with the power to remove them. Many have actually just been relocated.

I hardly think a "warning" at the beginning of a movie is even worth mentioning. We've had them for years now to warn about language, violence, and sexuality. Disney and Warner Bros added a few warnings to their content in the past year or so, and it changed nothing about them. The world goes on.

Other than Cops, what show has actually been cancelled? Because, let's be honest, Cops was on its 32nd season and it's ratings have been dismal for years. Most people I know were actually surprised it was still being filmed at all.

Taking down something you don't agree with is fascism.

I was just going off Spam's post. It doesn't matter the number that were torn down. What matters is the belief that the people thought they had the right to do it.

If the inclusion of a disclaimer isn't worth mentioning, then it wasn't worth putting on there too begin with.

I don't know what the ratings for Cops was, but I know the ratings were good for Live PD. Even cop dramas were gone after. None of them budged, smartly. Hell there were people that wanted to take Paw Patrol off the air!

It's not the acts, but the meaning behind them.

I, a bleeding heart liberal, did think they went too far with Community.

Chang was a Dark Elf/Drow. Anyone who knows the franchise knows that they have jet black skin and white hair and that it's not a race thing as in where on Earth your ancestors came from, but race as in Not Even Human and Not On Earth. Are they going to change all the covers of the Drizzt novels, too? Because ANY Drow depiction would be considered racist by this metric.

Shirley did make that "hate crime" remark as part of the exposition to explain to the non-geeks what Chang was dressed as, so, they did know they were hanging a few toes off the edge. But, let's also consider the context of the episode - the Study Group banded together because they suspected Neil was suicidal, and they wanted to basically keep him on suicide watch by playing D&D with him. I feel like that's a pretty important message to censor along with something that resembles something bad but on closer inspection isn't.

When it comes to statues... we all cheered when it happened to Saddam's in Iraq. That's really my only opinion about the statues.

Movies? I don't totally understand how Gone With The Wind is any worse than Song of the South, and I don't understand why Disney can't release SooS, even just on Blu-Ray, with the same disclaimer GWTW will get, as part of the historical record. I don't think it's cool to just make your mistakes vanish when every man, woman, and child knows the lyrics to the chorus of Zipidee Doo Dah. But when it comes to Splash Mountain, a redo is long overdo simply because while you may be able to sing "Zipidee Doo Dah, Zipidee Ay" into a crowd and get a chorus back of "my oh my what a wonderful day!", no one has seen anything from that movie in decades, and most people think it's an old folk song like Oh Susannah, not Disney. What are kids going to be more excited to ride, Splash Mountain, or Tiana's Bayou Adventure?

Cancelling cop tv shows? I don't have much of an opinion as I'm not a fan. What I do have is that it's been six years since Black Lives Matter started drawing attention to police brutality, and these shows have been airing this whole time, and they never once addressed the issue or changed their filming POV to emphasize good policing practices? I mean, if they did, that's awesome and this is terribly unjust. But if they still sensationalized criminals and lionized police officers taking rowdy people down, they are admittedly part of the problem.

Taking down something you don't agree with is fascism.

And there we have it. The dumbest thing anyone has ever said on Nightly, period.

And with that, Im going to be gone for a while because Im afraid reading this kind of drivel will make me dumber.

For me it's posts/memes that are like this that are passed around that illustrate how weirdly the other side thinks things are. Like the evil they ascribe to the opposite party while they're embracing some pretty perverse ideas and evil themselves. These people propagate this meme but they don't want women to have access to birth control or abortions, love certain flags while I'm sure others (rainbow flags) probably make them nuts and feel like their marriage is on shaky ground because gays are wanting the rights to get married. In the end it's just people who can't handle change and are just sick and tired of it. LOL But I am sad that a lot of movies I was looking forward to this summer are not going to be out for a LONG while.

You know the Paw Patrol thing was a trolling joke, right?

It shouldn't be. Paw Patrol is the absolute worst ****ing kids show I have ever seen.

Laughing at everything

Dumb adults

No sense of urgency/time

It makes PJ Masks look like a Christopher Nolan movie.

So if tearing down a statue equals fascism, does that mean the fascists were the ones took down Saddam's statue when that whole set-up happened?

Fascism gets branded about willy nilly these days by just about everybody. Often what people think of as fascism is just various traits of totalitarian authoritarianism (which obviously is reprehensible too) but fascism has some pretty specific identifiers beyond the crushing of politcal/ideological dissent.. for instance an obsession with national decline/failure and a longing for a return to a mythical golden past, the rejection of modernism, a cult of unity/energy/purity to restore national strength, a mass based party of national militants, a government without ethical or legal restraints that practices internal "cleansing", a focus on expansion of boarders, a national pariah for the people to rail against as a common enemy, and a highly cultivated sense of image/design with popularised versions of esoteric symbolism drawn from the mythic national past.

Sure, tearing down statues fits in there somewhere but it's hardly the only hallmark of fascism. Likely fascists would erect more statues than they would tear down.

When it comes to statues... we all cheered when it happened to Saddam's in Iraq. That's really my only opinion about the statues.

Saddam's statue was torn down 8 months before he was captured, by people who lived under his rule. The statue was built by his regime as part of his cult of personality. He was judged by his subjects by the standards of his time. His statue was also probably destroyed as much out of fear of the Americans as hate for Saddam.

There is a massive difference between that and tearing down a statue of Columbus because he doesn't stand up to the moral standards of today. How many people from 350 years ago do? Columbus doesn't need to be erased, he needs balance. Teach people about the atrocities he committed (making him no different than everyone else at the time), and about how he was the one with the wrong idea about the shape and size of our planet (he was a pear earther).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.