The Trump Administration 2017-

Ms. Spam

I went back to visit my family stomping grounds 2 summers ago and had a family dinner party with my dad's best friends. They asked me if I'm allowed to have a gun at work. This was totally mind-boggling to them that I am forbidden from bringing a gun to work. But don't I feel unsafe? I think a lot of rural folks think that there's a shooting and mugging on every corner in The City. I explained that where we live, violent crime is not so much an issue as property crime and that a lot of it is car break ins or burglary when they know no one is home. I have never been mugged or pickpocketed or had a gun pulled on me. (Some guy did try to grab my purse in Paris when I was a teenager, but a teacher grabbed his arm.) I've lived in the suburbs my entire life, and where I grew up in the Chicago suburbs was practically Pleasantville. I never felt unsafe walking to school, riding my bike around the neighborhood, or anything like that. We did lock our doors, I have friends in rural areas who don't. But rural folks have bought the narrative that cities are unsafe. There are certainly pockets, and the town where I work is a little trashy, but its more likely that someone will break a window to steal the change in my car than I get shot.

I’ve had some similar experiences visiting my parents in rural AZ. People in small towns really eat that shit up. There were multiple men open carrying at the goddamn PARK in a town with virtually no violent crime (loads and loads of drugs though. My wife was flipped off at a red light and the only reason it could possibly have been for was the California plates on the car. Another funny one specific to CA, people seem to think there are major earthquakes on the regular and how can we possibly live there when it happens all the time. 

On 10/17/2020 at 12:35 PM, monkeygirl said:

I'm exploring this right now. I've asked my therapist to help me because I came out of a discussion with a woman I really like, who is smart and who disagrees with everything I hold dear and the same for me to her. I can't 'fix' her (nor does she need fixing) so I decided to fix me. My therapist offered some homework. I'm to watch "the Vow", check out a journalist named Matt Talby, a book called "Why Liberalism Failed" by Patrick Deenan and a podcast called "Unspeakable" by Meghan Daum. Anyone know any of these?

Oh! Me! I do! I'm going to reply privately because I don't want to deliberately post in that specific thread! Sorry! (Oops. Scratch that plan.)

I have read Patrick J. Deneen's book, did not like it, and don't think it'll help give you particularly concrete answers as to why a smart person you like would disagree with you.

Matt Taibbi was a good writer, very accessible style, sharp, but I think the last couple of years have sort of ... broken? him. As it has done for us all, certainly. I'm guessing he might be more able to offer up something close to what you're looking for.

No clue on the documentary or the podcast.

On 9/20/2020 at 6:46 PM, Zathras said:

I'll take that bet. 

Well, we’ll find out as early as Monday. Seems like a definite thing unless something huge happens.

3 hours ago, Official Fozzie Fan Club said:

LOL!  Well you won fair and square, Fozzie! 

By the way, thanks for not changing it to something like Senor Poopypants!

I considered Trump Train, but decided that was too much. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.