The Trump Administration 2017-

Ms. Spam

The GOP doesn't care about looking like, or BEING hypocrites. They never have. What in the world makes you think they give a shit about that? They've packed the courts. That's what they want. That's all they care about. They don't play the rules and have never intended to. It's fucking ridiculous that the Democrats haven't figured this out already. Trump's nominee is going to get through, I guarantee it.

Not only will it happen before Nov 3, it’ll be Amy Coney Barrett who has already recently gone through Senate confirmation, which will allow them to fast track it.

Zathras, are you open to a little fun wager? I’m willing to put my assertion that Amy Coney Barrett will be confirmed before the election against your belief that nobody will. So if someone else is confirmed, you win. If no one is confirmed, you win.

Winner gets to select a user name for the loser for a week.

Well, the other person has to be confirmed by the Senate first. Which will very likely happen with the first nominee, but the terms are confirmation, not nomination.

8 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Zathras, are you open to a little fun wager? I’m willing to put my assertion that Amy Coney Barrett will be confirmed before the election against your belief that nobody will. So if someone else is confirmed, you win. If no one is confirmed, you win.

Winner gets to select a user name for the loser for a week.

I'll take that bet. 

"I know several Trump supporters, and even more people who don’t support him but will vote for him because of single issues, most notably abortion. "

This makes me SO SAD, because the issue regarding abortion is not and has never been elective abortion vs. no abortions, it's 'who gets to tell whom if they can have an abortion or not; women and their doctors or the old white guys in DC?'

On 9/19/2020 at 6:19 AM, Zathras said:

Not saying he won't.  I know all that is required is a simple majority, but I don't think the Senate wants to even touch this until after the election because a lot of projections show the dems will take the senate.  Those in danger of losing their seats don't want to draw attention to themselves and give another reason to vote against them.  

Are you kidding? Their choice is 4 more years of Trump vs. losing the Senate. Which do YOU think they'll choose?

None of those examples come close to the horror a civil war would entail in the modern US. If you live in a big city like NY or LA you have a better than even chance of watching your children die of starvation/dehydration/dysentery/exposure. The enemy won't even bother shooting you, they'll just turn off the lights and shit in your water. 

4 hours ago, Marc DuQuesne said:

None of those examples come close to the horror a civil war would entail in the modern US. If you live in a big city like NY or LA you have a better than even chance of watching your children die of starvation/dehydration/dysentery/exposure. The enemy won't even bother shooting you, they'll just turn off the lights and shit in your water. 

Actually, this exact scenario is mentioned in the comments.

He also fails to run a simulation of what happens if Trump has an overwhelming victory. This is not something I would ever want, and yet, at this stage it might be the only way we don't implode. Four more years of bullshit and maybe (?) then we's get back to the usual of standard old white man GOP jerk off vs. a democratic peace-nik who is so polarizing it continues to divide the party.

Let's also keep in mind here that not all Trump supporters are the crazy civil-war starting types of people. They're the loudest for sure, but they're not in any way in large enough numbers to do catastrophic damage. Half of my family are trumpers, and none of them would actually take up arms against the other side, regardless of what their FB pages might suggest. Many of them are just blusterers. All bark, no bite. There are definitely those who aren't, but they're in the minority there. 

Remember also, just because they keep repeating the term, there's nothing about trumplicans that is a "silent majority". They're not silent. They're not the majority. They weren't the majority last time. 

And there are still "adults in the room". Our military leaders don't like, support, or respect Trump. Some of these people might not have the balls to stand up to a sitting president, but I can almost guarantee you that they'll have the balls to turn their backs on a lame duck. Same with many of the Rs in office right now. They hated him before, they'll hate him when he loses them their seats and power. 

That's not to say that there won't be violence and damage to our republic, just that it's likely not as apocalyptic as we think. 

Here’s the thing - it doesn’t take a lot to make things go south really fast. One side does something, the other side retaliates, you have Trump openly encouraging violence against the people trying to steal America, and suddenly those people who would never do anything are at the very least going to grab their guns whenever someone “wrong” shows up in their neighborhood, because that’s obviously a terrorist from BLM or antifa.

I have relatives who are Trump fans too, and they wouldn’t necessarily go start something, but they sure would trust him that those people are coming to destroy their homes.

Honestly, I am more scared of what kind of riots happen if Trump wins, actually. READ: I do NOT want Trump to win.  Just saying if he does win, the riots will be worse than the Raiders winning the Superbowl. The people who hate Trump are far more likely to riot, than the other way around. But either way, it will be a shit show.  We are only talking about degrees of said shit show.

This started long before 2016. Trump is the symptom, not the disease.

Fozzie put the bullseye right around my fear. A common theme in history is that at a certain point people stop driving events and get caught up in the avalanche. The French revolution started with some fiscal reforms, then the dominoes started falling, then the heads started falling, then the countries started falling.

It only takes one Gavrilo Princip, and we have a wannabe on every corner. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.