The Trump Administration 2017-

Ms. Spam

He swore that he wasn't doing anything without his wall. He specifically said, multiple times, that he wouldn't consider a temporary reopening.

I don't see any way around calling it him caving.

If I'm playing this game I see that the federal workers not getting paid is hurting me. What I would do is to allow the three weeks for negotiations all the while claiming that I have no belief that Democrats are willing to do anything out of spite of me. If there weeks comes and goes with no money then I'd shut it down again. What his plan is I have no idea. If there is no money then yeah he caved. Right now it's wait and see.

This has a negative ramifications for the Dems as well. If Trump feels showed up, just try getting any of their pet projects across his desk.

Trump reached a compromise that was essentially the compromise which was proposed by congress in December. He caved, and on the day another associate was brought into court in shackles.

As for the wish that congress could just be shut down, that its non-essential, well, I hate to direct your attention to the Star Wars Prequels but... ;-) lol

This is like a reprieve. It's only good for three weeks.

I feel like this maybe a turning point. A lot of things keep happening. Maybe we'll have a Pence Presidency soon. But I've felt this way before.

I don't know if it is caving but Trump has not saved face. He has lost ground. Democrats have neither gained nor lost. It is all a matter of what happens in the next three weeks.

I'm talking about my point of view. If it were me I'd go on before television and ask why the government can spend $3 million dollars to research lesbian obesity, but we can't fork over $5 billion for border security. That's just me.

For him politically he had to see he was losing support based on the fact that people were going without paychecks. Still this is just a three week deal.

Afterthought:

I do get the budget point Met was making. :-)

His target of comparison was just very poor.

It could be more effective to compare and weigh prior expenditures on border security or national defense. eg. the roughly 1+ billion for border upgrades in 2017/2018 (with roughly 400 million to walls/fencing for 2017 and roughly a billion more for 2018). Or maybe the roughly 400 billion in lifetime committed costs (with a roughly 90 million per jet) for the F-35 fighter.

My comparison was to show that there are things the government spends money on that many of us would shake our heads at. You go after Trump for spending his own money to pay off former mistresses only to find out there is a congressional fund for just that!

I'd like to think if Trump laid out a plan for border upgrades instead of just "the wall", this could have gotten done already. Though at this point I think any physical barrier on the border will be seen by Democrats as Trump's monument. That's why they are fighting it so hard.

On a less serious note, I pray that we get a space force. You know he'll ask for a Death Star. A big beautiful one. One without an exhaust port that leads to the reactor. You put that shit in my head Torch lol.

Call me crazy, but while it will make a dent, I don't see how a wall is going to halt the hordes of people from trying to get access to the USA. They'll just start taking boats. If people want in enough, they will find a way wall or not. The mongols breached the great wall of china several times and over threw a dynasty.

The vast majority of undocumented people in America don't crash the border, they come in on visas and simply never go back. They come in on planes, which last I checked, are not effected by walls.

While I am at it-- most rapes are committed by men Who already know the women they assault, the only jobs immigrants take are ones most Americans think are below them, illegals do not waste tax money or abuse social services because if they did they'd be caught, and 90% of domestic terrorism is local grown conservative white crazy dudes...

The bad hombres do not exist at the level Trump says. We are a country founded on an open door policy.

The immigration issue has nothing to do with security. It's been inflated and positioned as such simply because there is such a large influx of people the government does not want to pay the money needed to process them and has the assumption that they will be a burden on the system (which is crazy because if they were legal workers they could be taxed). Mexico in particular takes the blsme because we share a border and they are a nation of poor brown people which our society has been programmed to distrust since the 50s.

It is an over simplification and an awkward justification to say there is a congressional fund to just to pay off mistresses and that is the same as Trumps issues with hush money.

There is a legal defense, discrimination, sexual harassment fund. When things are brought to the courts* then the process has its fees and restitution paid via that fund. This is clearly and markedly different than completely avoiding courts, using media outlets and campaign funds to pay hush money to accusers.

In case the delineation which Im saying exists is not obvious... One situation has gone through a legal process, the other has not.

Edits: Hastily typed, rearranged, noted change with the publicity of the cases being a point when it is not necessarily so. Basically, it is a more complicated scenario than to just say it is the same as bribes, hush money payments. The process needs to revamped to force congressional members to pay out of pocket when found at fault and the event needs to be public, perhaps with confidentiality agreements to protect victims or whatever. More educated people than me need to figure it out, certainly.

Afterthought: I suppose its, at the moment, one of those RPG ethics/morals graphs... true, legal, neutral, chaotic. Im with you (Met) on the questionability, obviously, just that the system is being abused and its flawed. It is totally an ugh, Its complicated, thing.

*There are supposed to be quotes around the word courts, but my mobile version of Nightly seems to despise apostrophes and quotations. Anyway, I dont know if it is like literally the court or some kind of arbitration and there is a difference.

I'm at work so all I really have time for is simplification. I understand what the funds was for. Like you said though there is a problem with us footing the bill for whatever transgressions these people have had. And how many have occurred that there needs to be a special find for it?

We live in a world where people are just unhappy with their lives. Maroon 5 gets heat for performing at the Superbowl halftime show. Now the actual performance is getting slammed as safe and boring. I thought it was fine. If it were a regular concert people would have been happy. But no political tinge, no nod to Kaepernick, and good God no a man cannot show his nipples if Janet Jackson can't. Maybe people are just upset that they didn't win money on their prop bets.

If there's no real outrage, report on the five tweets that are upset and fan the flame to get clicks.

Also, safe and boring is the definition of Maroon 5. They aren't Rage Against the Machine or Public Enemy.

That's what I meant. There was a story in my Google feed this morning and there was one on Yahoo. Hell my daughter started clapping when he took his shirt off. She loved it.

As for the game I actually liked that there score was low. Granted it was more bad offense than good defense it was a change from what we've seen all year. It actually got more exciting for us during the fourth quarter because my son in law was in the fan duel $50,000 pool. He finished first (with a few other people) and got a $6,012 pay out. Pretty cool.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.