The Trump Administration 2017-

Ms. Spam

As for the merits of the discussion itself, last I checked the use of irritants to disperse mobs chucking deadly weapons at law enforcement was an uncontroversial practice even on our own citizens. No child or anyone else suffered any injuries in any reports I could find (other than a lady who managed to accidentally impale herself in a totally separate incident). I looked and didn't see any pictures of children being pepper sprayed directly to the face or any evidence that the border patrol went went rogue and mistreated anyone.

There's a lot of emotionalism involved, but this just seems to be low-level crowd control to protect the border control officials from potential injury at the end of the day.

I saw some things I can't find. Thing is, Trump and the GOP CREATED the situation. They could have easily and simply handled it our of the public eye but they chose to make it a GOP photo op. I'm not trying to shame them over this-simply stating fact. To me, it doesn't matter much to the discussion whether or not someone was seriously injured-it's the whole ball of wax and how obvious and lame it is.

I saw some things I can't find. Thing is, Trump and the GOP CREATED the situation. They could have easily and simply handled it our of the public eye but they chose to make it a GOP photo op. I'm not trying to shame them over this-simply stating fact. To me, it doesn't matter much to the discussion whether or not someone was seriously injured-it's the whole ball of wax and how obvious and lame it is.

It's a fact that Trump created 10,000 people pretty much none of whom actually qualify for asylum (even if a small proportion of them once did, they don't, or at least shouldn't, now that the country they're currently standing in has offered them visas)?

We can go back and forth on which side is using them as a photo op if you wish. However, your blaming Trump for the problem is more than a little ridiculous.

By her logic I guess we are to believe that Trump’s “racist” stance has actually encouraged immigration. Too funny. Can’t have it both ways. Unless you’re a constant complainer devoid of logic, that is.

There’s only so much you can do for people. You can’t save them all.

From a work perspective I’ll tell you that I write programs that basically compensate for the mistakes that my coworkers make. For the most part they’re good people, but in so many cases they’re so bad at what they do they should simply be glad they don’t work at Walmart. They complain anyway.

I do have empathy for the migrants, but they are lost in a sea of opportunists. Perhaps I am wrong, but I don’t see a way to save the kind souls from the “bad hombres”.

If that’s to cynical or cold for you, I understand. I just can’t justify the risk of bringing these folks in.

If someone was banging on your door at 4 am would you answer it?

One of my core issues with conservatives is what appears to be a basic lack of human empathy.

This thread has done nothing to dissuade this.

You sure it's not making blanket judgment about people based on political beliefs? There is a difference in talking about the process of all of this as opposed to showing how much we care. I can't speak for the others, but I do feel for some the people involved in this. I say some because I don't think everyone in the caravan is there for the same reasons. I heard a stat earlier today that as of now about 9% of people processed so far actually qualify for asylum.

One of my core issues with conservatives is what appears to be a basic lack of human empathy.

You sure it's not making blanket judgment about people based on political beliefs? There is a difference in talking about the process of all of this as opposed to showing how much we care. I can't speak for the others, but I do feel for some the people involved in this. I say some because I don't think everyone in the caravan is there for the same reasons. I heard a stat earlier today that as of now about 9% of people processed so far actually qualify for asylum.

Of course it's a blanket statement, that's what politics are now. I'm not saying all conservatives have zero empathy, but it certainly seems like everyone who has zero empathy is a conservative.

<shrug>

The current system of intentionally broken borders for the gain of businesses and politicians has gotten tens of thousands of people killed and/or sold by human traffickers long before they ever reach our borders. And lately there's an increase of women and children following that path. A successful caravan, whose press coverage has been focused on the women and children, being allowed into the United States will only redouble that trend and lead to more exploited children, young women forced into a life of prostitution, and corpses of each.

Empathy is relative I suppose.

Of course it's a blanket statement, that's what politics are now. I'm not saying all conservatives have zero empathy, but it certainly seems like everyone who has zero empathy is a conservative.
I don't live in a border state so I've never seen this first hand. My wife, who lived in McAllen TX for a few years has. She's seen the good and she saw it get bad when it came to illegals coming back and forth. Being a teacher she taught kids whose parents crossed the border just so their kids could get an education. She also feared for the safety of her and my step kids because they were on the outskirts of town, dealing with illegals who would try to find places to hideout knocking on doors and sometimes assualting those who did open the door. My wife is a Democrat. She didn't care about policy. Just personal experience.

Growing up in South Florida I do know about Cubans and Haitians coming to shore on a regular basis. My best friend in high school came over during the Mariel boatlift. I also had Haitian friends who were not treated as well socially as the Cubans were. Unfortunately the percentage of crap Haitians were higher than the crap Cubans so they were defined by the few.

Should we start thinking about what a Pence White House will look like? I think Trump's about to throw a bunch of people under the bus. At least Manafort is off to jail and Cohen too but will he throw Ivanka and his sons on the dumbness that was surrounding his campaign?

Met! My best friend graduated a few districts over from Mission High. I know about that weirdness about being careful coming home and announcing yourself or wondering about a knock on the door. But didn't hear much about assaults. She was in high school at the height if illegal immigrants coming in. Usually they just went through the backyard and moved on. My Mom and Step-Dad in Tucson had a few break in and stay in their second home near Patagonia. After a while Karl just started leaving the backdoor unlocked and no valuables that they could take. They would leave bottled water too. The immigrants would move on in a day or two. Some left notes apologizing.

In El Paso when Dad was stationed at Ft Bliss a lot of my best friends were from the other side of the border when I was in Catholic kindergarten. They'd cross with their parents every day to go to school or Mass on Sunday and then go back and it was a lot easier to cross back then. You'd just have to declare your citizenship and giving a reason why you were going at the border crossing. Didn't even need an ID and we went over a few times because the restaurants were good on that side. Now you need a passport and it takes a long time to get through by car because of checks for drugs.

I'm only telling you what her experience was that she told me. My step daughter said she hated it there. My stepson liked it, but he was an infant then. My wife loved the people there, but with her ex husband being a dead beat she said she it was hard feeling safe when she had to be the protector. She talked about how they used to go back and forth on the weekends to Mexico with no problem. Over time it got worse and they stopped going because it was more of a hassle. She says if sure started in Texas she would have found a teaching gig in Dallas, but she moved back to Ohio for a year before moving to Florida.

She's keeping in touch with the teachers she taught with on Facebook and keeps telling me we need to take a trip there. She talks with such reverence for the kids she taught and a lot of the people that came across the border. She also acknowledges there needed to be something done with the border.

It's a fact that Trump created 10,000 people pretty much none of whom actually qualify for asylum (even if a small proportion of them once did, they don't, or at least shouldn't, now that the country they're currently standing in has offered them visas)?

We can go back and forth on which side is using them as a photo op if you wish. However, your blaming Trump for the problem is more than a little ridiculous.

Please follow along properly-that was not aimed at you-it was in response to something Poe Dameron said, not something you had offered. And again, you toss out ridiculous hyperbole you can't prove...10,000? That's as much as 10X the actual amount, you know. And 'pretty much none of whom actually qualify for asylum'? What on Earth could you possibly base this on? Trump and the GOP created the focus on this event-that's what I was saying.

'your blaming Trump for the problem is more than a little ridiculous.'.

If you understood or acknowledged to grasp what I'm saying to Poe, you wouldn't say this. Who do *you* believe ordered the military to go to the US/Mexico border. Everything I've read and seen says it was President Trump who gave the order. Are you saying he lied about that? Or that someone else gave the order?

I find it funny people claimed anyone won that display. I just watched the footage and I laughed and was thought whatever.

I would have thought that Pelosi and Schumer would have realized that if they stroked Trump a little bit (not like Stormy) , they would get more of what they wanted. I'm kinda glad they don't get it, but man they are so clueless.

I don’t get the Pelosi hate. I don’t think she’s worse than any other recent Speaker. It isn’t a job for a decent person, or anyone who potentially wants a different job in government. Pelosi seems reasonably good at it, and is one of the few who can even moderately connect the different factions of the House Democrats. I mean, I get the Republican hate, because they’re going to hate anyone, but why do non-Republicans have such strong feelings?

As for Pelosi and Schumer stroking Trump, I think they tried that and it worked until they were out of the room, and then he turned back into himself. Why try when you know he’s not going to budge on anything you want because Fox and Friends tells him no?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.