The Trump Administration 2017-

Ms. Spam

Cities have a right to govern themselves to within the laws set forth by the constitution. Nothing restricts sanctuary cites in issuing id's and making it easier for police who have to work with a budget to enforce the laws. I'm bad at "phrasing" but I think that's the gist of what I get from this. Local police only focus on ordinances and laws that work within that framework. I sometimes think this comes down to the difference between states rights and being in the Federal way as it were.

I'd rather live in a sanctuary city though. It's safer and people trust the police instead of never reporting crime or asking for assistance when crime happens so we can work to encourage trust and foster a safer city than turning into a police state where it is harder to stop violence. But I'm a democrat and my focus is different. I'd rather work on getting less crime and having people that come forward and bear witness to get people who commit crime off the street as well as a community willing to even talk to police instead of be rude and distrustful. Let's fix things that are actually broken instead of focus on dumb things that waste money like a wall.

I think this is what's killing me about this administration right now. Fiscal responsibility went out the door. It's about appeasing a minority of fearful people. What happens when no one trusts anyone and you can't go out any more? But you'll still have that wall costing money and resources much like sending all those troops to the border when there's already National Guard units there sent by the state to help the border patrol while people get a tiny cut in tax money but things are going up like health insurance, co-pays, things you need to buy daily, financing a car or getting a kid through college without a second mortgage.

They are subject to those things. The law you quoted has to do with the actions of cities and states, and has nothing at all to do with whether or not individuals are subject to the laws of the United States.

If an undocumented immigrant is caught speeding, they're getting in trouble. If they break a federal law, they're subject to punishment.

Rather than try to make stuff up to support the Moron-in-Chief, change the Constitution. Because his plans are going nowhere.

Jeff Sessions resigns. I'm not sure how I feel about this. Of Trump's minions he had a purpose and enacted it. He was actually doing the job for which he felt called to do. There are few in his administration that are doing things and he was. I may not have agreed with his agenda for the Justice Department but immigration is down. (But much like the economy it was going down before Trump took over because Obama was enforcing borders too).

Mueller maybe coming out with something soonish? Is this even a smart move? Wouldn't Trump want a potential enemy closer?

I would not be surprised if Whitaker quashes the Mueller investigation while as interim, and is soon after replaced.

Fears already coming about this. I think there was a march called for 5 PM today to say that they want Mueller to finish his job unimpeded.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest El Chalupacabra

Caught it this morning. Pure comedy gold. I actually like Chris Wallace. I have no idea if he is a left or right leaning guy, but he comes off pretty much an objective journalist and straight shooter, and even he seems on the verge of rolling his eyes a couple times.

When America has positioned itself for its entire history as the land of the free, and one our core manifestos says we will take the poor and huddled masses, you can't expect people without access to the mainstream media in third world countries who are fleeing horrible conditions in their home countries to not see us as the promised land.

I'm not saying we should have open borders, but I am pretty sure there's a middle ground between that and tear gassing little kids.

Whether or not you think immigrants should stay out of our country, if an unarmed woman with a child in her arms asks you for help and your response is to injure them, you are a monster.

It's so weird to think that our country is becoming this radicalized form of Christian Jihadi's. Like a zero sum game where no one is the winner. We are becoming what we hate. I tried this argument on my step-Mom when we were playing games Sunday night and a 60 Minutes segment came on where we watched them at the border in California. I was like, this is what Jesus didn't want. Do you know the Roman's were considered occupiers and were hated and they oppressed people demanding things for the army and Cesar? Would your Jesus want you denying people the right to ask to come across the border and receive help? I even tried saying it would be cheaper than the wall. I think they have these ideas that they're coming here to America to get on welfare and drunk drive and kill people. Many of these people have relatives here in the states that will help them and once here will find jobs and work - and pay taxes that give them rights to services much like a plain white citizen who's been here for a few generations and want Social Security and Medicare. No budging was had by step-Mom but she stopped saying that this sending of the Army should be done.

If you actually listen to the reason why identification cards are wanted in cities that are sanctuary cities and thought it through you'd say "Damn, that makes more sense for prevention and safety than fighting forest fires by raking the forest floors!"

Flags planted gotcha.

So let me get this straight? The belief is that border agents deliberately and maliciously tear gassed women and lchildren? The belief can't be that a situation got of of control, non lethal force had to be used, and women and children got caught in the mix? Of course not.

The point was this was never going to go well. The caravan forced their way into Mexico. That wasn't going to happen here. Trump or no Trump. The sheer number of people involved told you the system couldn't handle the numbers.

Spam, I couldn't disagree with what you just said more. The hyperbolic view of how people view immigration(or most political views these days) is what's wrong. If you're for strong borders it doesn't make you a xenophobe.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.