The Trump Administration 2017-

Ms. Spam

Whatever Warren did or didn't claim in the past, she apparently recognized this issue as enough of a liability to warrant taking the gambit to try to nip it in the bud before the 2020 race starts (which, btw, basically starts next month as soon as the midterms are over).

She has to have known it could backfire, but she must have decided that it was better for it to be aired now before the race got underway. It seems like an unforced error in a lot of ways at the moment, but it will be interesting to see its continued effect, if any, once we move into the 2020 cycle.

Can anyone here be convinced of anything? Especially by anything posted here? Literally the only thing that I'm ever convinced of by reading the Lyceum is that everyone here is a jerk and unwilling to consider anything other than their own biases.

Ten years ago when I was here I was a militant atheist liberal sjw, now I'm just atheist. I've been convinced of lots of things, it just takes convincing. I'm a sceptical person by nature, but I don't have my head in the sand.

45+ for my age. I am actually pretty conservative. I believe I should get the right to own a weapon at home but I think we have to limit things right now because America is not responsible at all. I think gays should get married. I don't care what they do in their own bedrooms. People who own businesses where they may potentially not want to provide their service to a customer should realize this is the cost of being a business and move along as well as customers who insist that this place do it. I'd like to see a change to our lawsuit like culture (they're actually developing an app to sue people on your phone) like tort reform. I want a fiscal budget that is met without some sort of craziness. I would like to see genuine reform on immigration. Most immigrants I have met want to work and are not free loaders. I'd like to not cringe at the vocabulary level of my president. He should have read some books and have a sense of decorum or at least a context of the moment. I'd like term limits. I think Congressmen should pay for their own health insurance. I am realistic on gas and oil industry but would like to see more ecofriendly things going on. It's actually cheaper to be ecofriendly. I'd go democrat or republican if someone can just fill that bill for me.

I miss the old high school debate days, when me and my buddies would have heated debates, with some people trying to support positions they didn't even agree with, just for the sake of argument. Then we would all get together at our evening hangout ( an old railroad boxcar), where we would smoke a few and drink a few, and debate again, this time for real chips and no subject was taboo. That's what the Lyceum was to me when I was directed to it. I learned a lot here.

From the little I know about the Monkeything, it has probably met one of the people I argued with, him being one of those Seattle musicians these days. He was an actual liberal. With an open mind. Learned a lot from him too.

I'm not sure that a lot of these arguments are actually trying to convince someone of one way or the other.

Is there anything wrong with that? I gave up hoping to convert someone outright many years ago. It's more a feeling that it's more it's important to get your views out into the world. If they're solid, you'll get a few people to subtly change their views sometime down the road because they'll stick. Sometimes life isn't about "winning" as much as it's about playing the long game. And my own views have also altered as the years have passed.

Let me give one example. Around 2010 or so, I started developing my own reaction to the simultaneous increase of identity politics as a pillar of the Obama administration's electoral strategy and the Republican calculus on immigration which sought to divide voters into sub-categories and have them vote accordingly. Early on, the Republican divide on immigration was actually more important. So I started developing my thoughts on tribal politics and seeding various real life and internet spots (I was invited to write in a couple of moderately popular sites back then) with the idea.

People disagreed with me. The Republicans that had swallowed the amnesty for votes logic never gave an inch.

Lo and behold, things have changed and a lot of the rhetoric I was using 8 years ago is now being used by bigger entities than myself. Now, obviously, they're not taking their marching orders from me. But I was a part of the seeding from a thousand different sources that finally came together as a critical mass when 2016 approached and laid the tribal politics problem bare.

Bomb bomb bomb bomb ba bomb! This has the stink of someone trying to cause disruption before the midterms. Or at the very least have their handy work in the news.

Yeah, I was arguing with some teachers at work about this. Some say it's an act of terrorism but I would not be surprised if it is just a frustrated Democrat trying to stir up feelings so we vote. The bombs that guy sent around Austin were much more sophisticated. I am just glad no one was hurt. It's politics and some people get really wrapped up. Don't let politicians get you down.

I'm sure the typical Republican conspiracy theorists have already explained that it's all a liberal conspiracy, but the guy they arrested is a registered Republican and apparent Trump supporter.

But I'm sure it's just a Democrat trying to create a stir. Definitely.

I was under the suspicion that the person/persons doing this were pranksters trying to do some high level punking. The list of people these bombs were sent to was just too obvious. I was waiting for the report that Alec Baldwin and Kathy Griffin had gotten packages. As of now it seems it was just some guy with problems.

I've passed that building in Miramar a few times. Never noticed it was an FBI facility.

I went to a very Jewish high school in Arizona and they were much more casual but in some areas I can imagine where there is more prevalent hate it would need gates. We had some churches burned around the NW part of San Antonio recently by some hate groups. The local Synagogue is very open though and we have good interfaith relationships throughout US.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.