The Trump Administration 2017-

Ms. Spam

I wonder if Florida Homeowners Insurance asks if you live near an alligator repository and your insurance rates go up based on your proximity to alligators?

Why would they ask? Insurance companies know substantially more than you do about trends in the area. As for whether it increases homeowners rates, I'm not aware of alligators causing substantial property damage, but if they do it would be considered. I don't have a ton of experience with homeowners claims in areas with large numbers of gators. Otherwise you have little to no liability for wild animals, so that wouldn't increase your rates.

Your rates go up for factors that may cause the insurance company to pay more. If there's no exposure to the company paying more, they don't care.

Yeah, if I was still in the private sector I could probably provide more statistics. I could maybe even try digging for more specifics, but that's the general theory.

It's why your rates may go up if there have been more accidents in your area, or involving people who drive your same car, regardless of your driving record. Because they're interested in potential as much as actual.

It's also why insurance companies won't insure homes with certain breeds, or will write exclusions for damage caused by them. A pitbull isn't necessarily going to be violent, but if it is, the potential for extensive harm is greater than most other breeds.

• 2 weeks later...

Lawsuit is stupid. They should've named it something better, though. Roughly half of the country is going to hate whoever is in the White House, no matter who is is. By calling it presidential, they brought all of that into it.

I don't know if I can convey the feeling that I sense rising out here in the hinterlands. It is a primal rage in a lot of ways. The local radio station I am always yacking about (because it has proven an accurate gauge of where rural America is really at) played Twisted Sister for all the bumpers on Friday. Every caller was furious with the freak show our political system and main stream media have become.

It takes quite a bit to get Orrin Hatch to say "I'll talk to you when you grow up". A polite person to his core. The less polite are on the verge of rash action. I hope we can focus the energy.

I think you can count the number of people who have had their reputations enhanced while being tied to Trump on one finger. Haley played a high-wire act of being independent, and sometimes even critical of Trump, without ever receiving Trump's, or the mob he holds at bay's, scorn for two years and smartly left after receiving her foreign policy creds while Trump's doing a victory lap on Kavanaugh, trade, and the economy and with Trump lavishing praise her way. If nothing else, that demonstrates considerable political deftness.

I've always liked Haley. She's a well-blended mix of smart, likable, tough, attractive, tries to maintain decency, and is a pit bull. I would have voted for her in 2016 if she'd run. 2024 is a long time away for a politician lacking any obvious prospects for employment, particularly in this day and age, but looking far into the future, she and Ben Sasse are the two Republicans I'm looking to support.

So Elizabeth Warren releases a study that shoes she "might" be at best 1/32 Native American. And the study is not definitive. Why even release it?!? There are already those that are saying that the findings don't add up. Why oh God why? I thought these were smart people. She should just shut up about the Indian thing and never bring it up again.

My wife is an 8th Native American, my kids then 16th (if I understand the genetic math thing). While we dont claim cultural connection, nor seek financial aid or memberships etc, there isnt anything wrong with acknowledging heritage and history and allowing that knowledge to enrich your life/outlook.

Whether that relates to how Senator Warren has lived, I dunno.

Anyway, its a new week, everyone... so let us all do our best to remain bitter judgmental ***holes about everything. ;-)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.