EPISODE VIII - THE LAST JEDI

Mara Jade Skywalker

I think the issue is kylo Ren having a nice big scar for the sake of showing how she gave him a nice big scar. She really got him good and we should just see that. It's not a fight for power between the director and fans. I don't think it's nitpicking either. Showing Anakin and Luke with cool golden robotic arms is nice and science fictiony and cool and it would have just been cool if kylo had a nice big ugly scar instead of some cute little distinguished scar. Move it over by all means but don't make it smaller come on now. Of course I do have to wait to see more shots of him...

Yes but you also have to figure the lightsaber is a tool. Maybe after Mustafar Obi Wan made adjustments to it during all his alone time on Tatooine, figuring he could make improvements to it for Luke's sake. Maybe Luke wore it out and broke parts of it between ANH and ESB? I mean, that lighstaber has been around for over 20 years by the time he starts seriously using it. Maybe parts had to be replaced here and there. So it's not a drastic idea to think that the lightsaber doesn't look exactly the same throughout the films seeing the timeframe those films actually take place in.

Saying Luke tinkered and Maz had somebody rebuild it explains changes-- but so does saying Bacta heals scars on weird ways.

As for lightsabers and the big changes, sure you can explain changes film to film. But they change shot to shot sometimes. But yeah, obviously a prop doesn't get the same level of visibility a face does. My point more was obsession with details doesn't have to have anything to do with liking a movie.

I agree on that. Otherwise we'd never be able to enjoy any films. As you can tell from my profile pic, I'm a nerd for 80's slasher films. Talk about inconsistencies. That lightsaber guidebook is pretty awesome. I think that's the first time I've ever seen pics of the lightsabers with Luke and Vader's hands still attached to them. That reminded me of a short story that appeared in Star Wars Galaxy magazine back in the late 90's called The Emperor's Trophy: https://na01.safelin...jBo=&reserved=0

If you just take out all the parts with the Noghri it makes a nice little side story about Vader's first meeting with Palpatine after ESB: https://na01.safelin...dTs=&reserved=0

That game looks awesome. I can't wait to play it. I had read somewhere here before that you wrote Leatherface. I'm a big fan.

I accused you of reaching with your lightsaber inconsistency comparison, so now I'll do the same:

Your example of how the studio doesn't care about the continuity of Texas Chainsaw is what I was really getting at with TLJ. Not because I think this one thing ruins the film or anything. I'm thinking more of the future. If Lucasfilm is willing to let a director make a change like this, especially while the old guard who's been there from the beginning and helped Lucas build this company from the ground up is still in charge, I'm wondering how long it'll be before directors/writers/actors get bold and start making real changes, stuff that's more noticeable/drastic simply because they didn't like how something happened in a previous film or they want to make their own mark. Especially down the line when the current regime retires or leaves and new people take over Lucasfilm, people maybe propped up by Disney.

As you have pointed out, it's a false notion that the Disney corporate suits are interfering with TLJ. But I'm wondering if maybe the higher-ups should. Not Disney, but the heads of Lucasfilm such as Kennedy, to make sure that stuff stays within range and doesn't start getting out of hand. Like I said, I'm reaching but I'm arguing for Lucasfilm to watch its franchise carefully before it goes the way of Terminator, retconning previous films and completely doing away with major characters and storylines for the sake of a new sequel.

The prop community is generally up in arms about it. I blow it off-- but some don't. They just can't understand why a production designer or propmaster won't take the time to pay attention to detail.

What it comes down to is time and money. Every second spent doing something for a movie costs money-- there's never enough money or time-- even on the biggest franchise in movie history. No one sweats the tiny details the way that we do as fans. In the eyes of a studio, they need to service fans for goodwill, but they still need to make the movie for a much bigger and general audience. The sort of audience that isn't as invested and just wants to be entertained for a couple hours. THOSE people always take priority.

I wish every movie would take the care to keep continuity tight-- like the love and care put into the BTTF movies? It should always go that way.

The prop community is generally up in arms about it. I blow it off-- but some don't. They just can't understand why a production designer or propmaster won't take the time to pay attention to detail.

What it comes down to is time and money. Every second spent doing something for a movie costs money-- there's never enough money or time-- even on the biggest franchise in movie history. No one sweats the tiny details the way that we do as fans. In the eyes of a studio, they need to service fans for goodwill, but they still need to make the movie for a much bigger and general audience. The sort of audience that isn't as invested and just wants to be entertained for a couple hours. THOSE people always take priority.

I wish every movie would take the care to keep continuity tight-- like the love and care put into the BTTF movies? It should always go that way.

Didn't Back to the Future stop having the car look frozen after time travel because it was too much of a pain in the ass to do it?

I think they implied it still happened with some vapor, but never did the full on ice block action outside of the first movie. Also in the second movies, every time the Delorean appeared it kept moving and they'd cut to another shot.

Saying Luke tinkered and Maz had somebody rebuild it explains changes-- but so does saying Bacta heals scars on weird ways.

Yeah - the scar could almost be explained away with plastic surgery and whatever under current modern technology. In the Star Wars universe, I saw a guy's hand get cut off only to be replaced 10 minutes later with what was almost a replica. Since that was set, what 20 years before TFA? I can believe the effects of a significant lightsabre cut ending up looking like an emo scar.

I understand the critique that the placement of it was moved - and it does in a way speak to the criticism that Disney/Lucasfilm aren't properly thinking through some of the story threads beforehand.

No-- see this is my other point. The second anything happens that somebody doesn't like it's freak out and blame Disney.

I already went on and on trying to point out Disney has nothing to do with it, and the OT and PT especially are full of continuity errors and poor planning.

Do we even read other post before just saying the same things we already said?

Do you even read comments before responding to them, seriously? I know you already pointed out Disney doesn't have much to do with the franchise - a point I've made myself in another thread well before you had that rant anyway, so yeah don't need to remind me of something I've already pointed out. The exact point I am making in the comment in this thread was that the OT and PT are full of continuity errors, so why is this small one such an issue when it's easily explained anyway?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.