EPISODE VIII - THE LAST JEDI

Mara Jade Skywalker

I have a facial scar from where I got punched in the face and my glasses were punched hard enough that it broke the skin and basically opened a hole in my cheek. I have a great pic of it where there's blood all over my face, a big hole under my eye at the top of my cheek and bruising all around my eye from the punch. It got glued back together and nowadays you don't really notice the scar unless I point it out, but you can see it. I may have actually posted the pic on here years ago when it happened.

Actually, no, I got jumped after closing up the store I was guarding by three guys. Two of them dragged me off to one side while another tried kicking the door in. He failed so I caught a fist to the face and they ran off. I think I got lucky to be honest, it could have been a lot worse, but I'm also glad it was me and not one of the older women or young girls that work there (I was one of only about 5 guys working there out of a core staff of about 15 or so).

16649118_10154564989998920_9280267555742

These are a few of my lightsabers. Narratively, they are the same one. Left to right, this is how they appear in ANH, ESB and TFA. Each movie made changes to the aesthetics despite the fact it was the same lightsaber. I obsesses over it enough I have three versions of it on my shelf. I am a huge lightsaber nerd.

You know how much this effects me enjoyment of the movie?

ZERO.

Yeah but you can't really see anything, his hand is in the way. Could be a totally rad scar being hidden there.

That's true. This is the only shot we got of Kylo in the trailer. Maybe there'll be more to it. So really I'm going just by what the director said. Right now I see the pic on the right and think back at how Rey got him and wonder how he still has his right eye.

16649118_10154564989998920_9280267555742

These are a few of my lightsabers. Narratively, they are the same one. Left to right, this is how they appear in ANH, ESB and TFA. Each movie made changes to the aesthetics despite the fact it was the same lightsaber. I obsesses over it enough I have three versions of it on my shelf. I am a huge lightsaber nerd.

You know how much this effects me enjoyment of the movie?

ZERO.

That's exactly the kind of stuff a "nerd" would notice. But nowhere in any of those films do they do close up, still shots all the way around the hilt to show its exact detail. It's always being held by someone and in constant motion, so it's always half covered up by hands or we only see one side of it. About the only time we actually see a saber's detail up close is when Vader is examining Luke's green one in ROTJ when they are talking on Endor.

Kylo's face won't be something we just get glimpses of and it's not like the scar is on his hand or other body part. He's a main character that'll be in many scenes and I'm sure we'll get close ups of his face. That's why I think the lightsaber comparison is reaching.

That's a beautiful collection by the way.

Maybe the lightsaber comparison is reaching, but you certainly do get enough shots of the lightsaber to tell the difference between the movies. When Obi wan hand it to Luke in A New Hope, when it's caught in the snow in ESB, and when Rey discovers it in TFA.

Yes but you also have to figure the lightsaber is a tool. Maybe after Mustafar Obi Wan made adjustments to it during all his alone time on Tatooine, figuring he could make improvements to it for Luke's sake. Maybe Luke wore it out and broke parts of it between ANH and ESB? I mean, that lighstaber has been around for over 20 years by the time he starts seriously using it. Maybe parts had to be replaced here and there. So it's not a drastic idea to think that the lightsaber doesn't look exactly the same throughout the films seeing the timeframe those films actually take place in.

This made me wonder where Luke learned about building a lightsaber. And where he found the time?

Don't tell me there's a time bend where only a couple weeks pass on Tatooine while Han is Jabba's prisoner but for Luke was much longer. In Star Wars logic a year is always still a year.

This made me wonder where Luke learned about building a lightsaber. And where he found the time?

Don't tell me there's a time bend where only a couple weeks pass on Tatooine while Han is Jabba's prisoner but for Luke was much longer. In Star Wars logic a year is always still a year.

YouTube is a brilliant resource, there's tutorials for all sorts of things on there

Yes but you also have to figure the lightsaber is a tool. Maybe after Mustafar Obi Wan made adjustments to it during all his alone time on Tatooine, figuring he could make improvements to it for Luke's sake. Maybe Luke wore it out and broke parts of it between ANH and ESB? I mean, that lighstaber has been around for over 20 years by the time he starts seriously using it. Maybe parts had to be replaced here and there. So it's not a drastic idea to think that the lightsaber doesn't look exactly the same throughout the films seeing the timeframe those films actually take place in.

Saying Luke tinkered and Maz had somebody rebuild it explains changes-- but so does saying Bacta heals scars on weird ways.

As for lightsabers and the big changes, sure you can explain changes film to film. But they change shot to shot sometimes. But yeah, obviously a prop doesn't get the same level of visibility a face does. My point more was obsession with details doesn't have to have anything to do with liking a movie.

And you want nerdy? Here's the nerdiest thing I've ever done:

http://wannawanga.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/SW_Lightsaber_Guide.1.16.17.pdf

Saying Luke tinkered and Maz had somebody rebuild it explains changes-- but so does saying Bacta heals scars on weird ways.

Yeah - the scar could almost be explained away with plastic surgery and whatever under current modern technology. In the Star Wars universe, I saw a guy's hand get cut off only to be replaced 10 minutes later with what was almost a replica. Since that was set, what 20 years before TFA? I can believe the effects of a significant lightsabre cut ending up looking like an emo scar.

I understand the critique that the placement of it was moved - and it does in a way speak to the criticism that Disney/Lucasfilm aren't properly thinking through some of the story threads beforehand. But I don't think the issue deserves the level of attention its getting. The scar moved maybe an inch and they gave a satisfactory explanation for it - it looked stupid on film. But we're all hardcore fans of a movie series that is littered with story inconsistencies, this one doesn't really seem significant enough care enough about.

Yeah - the scar could almost be explained away with plastic surgery and whatever under current modern technology. In the Star Wars universe, I saw a guy's hand get cut off only to be replaced 10 minutes later with what was almost a replica. Since that was set, what 20 years before TFA? I can believe the effects of a significant lightsabre cut ending up looking like an emo scar.

I understand the critique that the placement of it was moved - and it does in a way speak to the criticism that Disney/Lucasfilm aren't properly thinking through some of the story threads beforehand.

No-- see this is my other point. The second anything happens that somebody doesn't like it's freak out and blame Disney.

I already went on and on trying to point out Disney has nothing to do with it, and the OT and PT especially are full of continuity errors and poor planning.

Do we even read other post before just saying the same things we already said?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.