EPISODE VIII - THE LAST JEDI

Mara Jade Skywalker

Just like with Evil Luke speculation from TFA, if the theme is that there's no good and evil, just people who have misunderstood it and need to be in the gray, I'm out. Not saying they can't do it well, but 100% not the Star Wars I'm interested in.

Besides, they already tried it in the books and then realized it was a ****ty concept that had to be abandoned. Think about that: it was an idea that was too bad for the EU.

I think this is where it's going. Maybe the Bendu in Rebels is foreshadowing this concept.

I don't think it's about "shades of gray" for the characters. Good and evil exist, but they have nothing to do with The Force. Kylo Ren orders a whole village killed when they were already prisoners, that's evil. He didn't use The Force to give that order, he just gave it. Tarkin blows up Alderaan as an interrogation technique, that's evil and he never used The Force a day in his life. My take on what is given us in this trailer potentially is 2 fold:

1-The Force is not good or evil, there are no sides to it. It just is. If I gave someone billions of dollars they can either use that money to help people or they can use it selfishly. The money itself is not good or bad, there is no lightside money or darkside money, it's all just money. The same thing for The Force. There is no lightside, there is no darkside. It's just The Force.

2-What we know of the The Force thus far is but a fraction of what it really is. Using it to move objects or trick someone's mind is all well and good but in the grand scheme it's nothing. Luke has discovered some forgotten knowledge on The Force.

On the Nerdist trailer breakdown, Jessica Chobot went all out to try and find things to make this movie mirror ESB. And boy was she reaching. Let's hope more Luke and less clumsy sidekicks does this movie justice.

Seems rather desperate of her. Fans should stop expecting the ESB lightning to be caught again. Its not going to happen. Its not 1980 anymore, where that kind of film was daring, rare and flipped audience expectations on their collective heads (many were just looking for a repeat of the good times of ANH). This era of filmmaking has films--fantasy in particular--all trying to "go dark" often for no justifiable reason. Hell, GL--the creator himself--tried it with AOTC (and a bit of ROTS)...hammered the "its gonna be like ESB" plot points, and it(largely) fell flat, coming off like a film trying to be dark just because the most celebrated episode happened to get it right for the right reasons.

Yeah, this is SW, and there's a certain amount of dark themes always present, but I hope this reaching Jessica Chobot's desire for TLJ to clone ESB remain hers--and not what appears in the movie.

My take on it was that Luke was referring to the potential of the force and not just the dark side and the light. I didn't feel it was just a matter of going "grey". I thing it was more down to limits of the the Jedi Order's understanding of the force.

Maybe he thinks the Jedi must end because their ways do not begin to realise the potential of the force. The Force has Awakened after all.

There will always be dark side and light side references depending on the use of the Force though.

Over-analyzed (intentionally for fun), but this piece was a lot of fun to read:

http://www.polygon.com/2017/4/15/15303952/star-wars-last-jedi-luke-end-of-jedi

Basic thesis is that Luke has realized the Jedi shouldn't exist as a secular army with power that puts them above the law.

It would be like giving the Vatican an army of super-priests that could go to any country and enforce Catholic law.

You know, like the Inquisition.

Star Wars always avoids shades of gray, but I've always personally thought Luke redefined being a Jedi since he came back from the dark side.

Personally I never felt Luke went to the darkside and came back. I always felt like yeah he was angry and he used that anger to defeat Vader but that doesn't mean he went to the darkside. To me anger is a normal human emotion and to try to eliminate it is to basically try to stop someone from being human. Now you can't let it completely control your life, that is the darkside. But having a moment of anger when someone threatens the life of your sister and then shortly after calming down is not the darkside.

And to me that is what Luke is going to learn. That some of the Jedi teachings have perverted the earliest beliefs of the earliest Jedi. That you cannot stop being from being angry or afraid or from feeling attached to other people. Those emotions are part of the basic human experience and to try to eliminate them from someone is basically stopping them from feeling basic emotions.

That is what Luke learns in those books that nothing about the Force is inherently light or inherently dark.

Personally I never felt Luke went to the darkside and came back. I always felt like yeah he was angry and he used that anger to defeat Vader but that doesn't mean he went to the darkside. To me anger is a normal human emotion and to try to eliminate it is to basically try to stop someone from being human. Now you can't let it completely control your life, that is the darkside. But having a moment of anger when someone threatens the life of your sister and then shortly after calming down is not the darkside.

And to me that is what Luke is going to learn. That some of the Jedi teachings have perverted the earliest beliefs of the earliest Jedi. That you cannot stop being from being angry or afraid or from feeling attached to other people. Those emotions are part of the basic human experience and to try to eliminate them from someone is basically stopping them from feeling basic emotions.

That is what Luke learns in those books that nothing about the Force is inherently light or inherently dark.

Bingo.

Choc is bang on the money in this discussion.

And Pav brings up a cool point. If alien races experience different emotions then their experience and relationship with the force could be completely different. Could make for some characters. Though I don't think Disney will stray too far from a human emotional/ethical.

I kind of like where it is going. It means that characters are responsible for their actions, decisions and destinies, rather than disowning those things and crying 'the force did it' when someone goes bad. Seems like they might be heading thematically in the direction of "own your shit" so to speak.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.