EPISODE VIII - THE LAST JEDI

Mara Jade Skywalker

The one point I'll argue in your list is whether it makes sense narratively. So far, we've seen 1/3 of the story, and that third was entirely missing Luke, who is saying this. I say that there's a 90% chance that it's Ben/Rey, but it doesn't necessarily mean that. Luke also wasn't afraid in ROTJ, of either his father or the Emperor. Both were extremely powerful. And I don't buy that "raw power" necessarily means "untrained power". It could easily mean power itself. For anyone who does believe that it means untrained, do a quick Google of the phrase "raw power" and "raw strength." Both give plenty of examples of that phrase being used in a manner that doesn't mean "untrained".

Still struggling with Finn (he's reacting to everything like we would if we were suddenly transported to the SW universe, but he's not one of us) and Snoke anything is still crap (still want someone to kill him ASAP), but like that shot of Rey in the rain and what looks like Luke powering up the Falcon using the Force.

(wish I hadn't watched the linked-to @gracerandolph reaction. I keep thinking she'll say something insightful one day, but she never does.)

I saw that, but it doesn't seem likely that there's a master switch that turns on everything. The impression I got was that he just waved his hand over the panel (although he does press something) and the Falcon just woke up (not literally, just lots of things being switched on at once).

Guest El Chalupacabra

Assuming there are no cut scenes in the trailer, like TFA or R1, I am more convinced now that Luke was just defeated in a dual, when he says "it won't go the way you think." In that trailer, it looks like it was Rey that defeated him. Makes me wonder if unlike Obi Wan and Yoda who didn't try to physically stop Luke in TESB, if he was trying to stop Rey from leaving her training, and got his ass kicked.

Luke doesn't use the Force to power on the Falcon. You can see him reaching behind himself to the controls.

Actually, I think he used his force cool power, like the Fonze.

Guest El Chalupacabra

More misdirection. He's not saying it to Rey, he's saying it to Kylo Ren or at least some other bad guy.

Maybe. I originally thought he was saying that to Kylo.

Either way, I am thinking someone had just kicked Luke's ass. I think between EU building Luke up to ridiculous, almost god-like power levels, and everyone expecting to see Luke kick ass, I am thinking we may actually get the opposite, and see a broken-down, washed up Luke who knows a lot of stuff, but like Obi Wan and Yoda, is too old to do anything but pass the torch and train Rey.

More misdirection. He's not saying it to Rey, he's saying it to Kylo Ren or at least some other bad guy.

Maybe. I originally thought he was saying that to Kylo.

Either way, I am thinking someone had just kicked Luke's ass. I think between EU building Luke up to ridiculous, almost god-like power levels, and everyone expecting to see Luke kick ass, I am thinking we may actually get the opposite, and see a broken-down, washed up Luke who knows a lot of stuff, but like Obi Wan and Yoda, is too old to do anything but pass the torch and train Rey.

Oscar Isaac in Vanity Fair:

"So to be there, and to watch Mark revisit Luke, particularly in these scenes we were shooting towards the end of the film, was bizarre and jaw-dropping. It's like when you see an old band re-unite and go on the road, and they don't quite hit those high notes anymore--though in this situation it's completely the opposite. It's the fulfillment of where your imagination would take you when you imagine where Luke would go, or what he's become."

Guest El Chalupacabra

Doesn't mean anything other than Oscar Isaac commenting on Mark Hamill's acting. In fact, I hope Luke is weaker than everyone is expecting because it best explains why he must train Rey in the first place. I think it just makes the most sense. I know everyone wants that Rogue One Vader moment with Luke, and we will probably get something like that, but if we do, I hope it is more something like his last hurrah where he has his back against the wall, and he knows he's going to die, so he goes into a f*ck it all, berserker mode, and dies a heroic death, saving the younger generation to carry on the fight. Having Luke show off his power to appease fans just for the sake of fan wank the same way EU has treated Luke, diminishes the Luke character, IMHO. YMMV.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Nah, Luke is powerful, otherwise why would Snoke care about him.

Is he as powerful physically as the EU portrayed? Probably not. But he's still powerful. The book I'm reading now is the perfect description of his abilities.

And I definitely DO NOT need to see him die in this movie. Or any movie.

I should rephrase what I mean because he is obviously a threat to Snoke (my working theory is Snoke is disfigured because Luke defeated him years ago)....I think Luke is powerful (compared to the average Sith or Jedi), but not the off the charts powerful EU makes him out to be, nor do I want to see that.

But compared to his prime, I think Luke will be weaker than people are expecting, and I think he is definitely weaker than Kylo, Rey, and possibly Snoke.

As for Luke dying, if they do kill him off, I hope they save that for Episode 9. I am not necessarily clamoring for him to be killed off, I am just saying if they do have Luke go all out and display his maximum power level, it should be used in a way that means something beyond appeasing fanboys who want to see Dragonball Z style fights in Star wars or superhero movies. To me, a heroic death makes the most sense to display his power level. Also, if there are going to be Episodes 10-12, and Luke isn't going to be in them, then I would like to see his character's story arc come full circle, like Obi Wan's, and let him go out strong.

Why wouldn't the Falcon have a master switch? How else would it be activated and deactivated? Surely there's something akin to an electrical circuit breaker panel on the ship.

There's a large push-button just above the cockpit door to our left.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if there is a chance Luke could fly an XWing in this movie? I mean think about it, Luke got to that island somehow. Doesn't seem like someone dropped him off. Seems like he went on his own. So here is my thinking. Rey goes off to help the Resistance against Luke's wishes. Luke stays behind. Luke then decides, either on his own or maybe through some talk with Yoda/Obi Wan ghosts that maybe he should go and help Rey. However he is there on that island by himself at this point. So what's he to do? Go find the ship he flew to the island in the first place, an X-Wing, and fly it back into the fray.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I wonder if there is a chance Luke could fly an XWing in this movie? I mean think about it, Luke got to that island somehow. Doesn't seem like someone dropped him off. Seems like he went on his own. So here is my thinking. Rey goes off to help the Resistance against Luke's wishes. Luke stays behind. Luke then decides, either on his own or maybe through some talk with Yoda/Obi Wan ghosts that maybe he should go and help Rey. However he is there on that island by himself at this point. So what's he to do? Go find the ship he flew to the island in the first place, an X-Wing, and fly it back into the fray.

I think there is a good chance.

Star-Wars-8-Luke-Skywalker-X-Wing-clue-h

Disney's Lucasfilm doesn't think about things like that. They are thinking about what would look cool. Luke in an X-Wing! Hell yeah let's do it.

If he likes flying an X-wing, why would he not fly one? Also, he flew an X-wing all through Legends, which, you know, wasn't Disney.

(For what it's worth, he's still using one during the Battlefront II story campaign, which takes place after Endor, and one of the stories in The Legends of Luke Skywalker has him still flying one.)

I think--and hope--he's either flying the Falcon or in the gunnery turret.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.