EPISODE VIII - THE LAST JEDI

Mara Jade Skywalker

I think changing the scar on Kylo was the right call. It looked stupid before in the center of his forehead, and it was a bit too wide. Now, that it is thinner and adjusted to the right a bit, it gives character, rather than making him looked like a deformed freak you can't take seriously. I also like the idea it looks closer to Anakin's for the parallel. I just assume part of the scar fully healed, and he has a new scar on the forehead. Maybe Snoke punished him or something.

I think the real question is YTF doesn't he have his helmet on anymore? If you get your face all disfigured, why not wear a helmet to prevent that from happening again?

The poster they put in the theater. ROTJ had three. The one above, which was actually the Revenge of the Jedi poster, which was revised later, then the one of just Luke's hands and the blue lightsaber blade, then the classic Struzan one.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-04-26 at 11.17.15 AM.png

So here's something I never noticed before...

I'm pretty sure that's not legit. I have the Art of book, and one of the Knights has a helmet that is superficially Mandalorian looking, but it's not a T-visor, it's more like Isaac Clark's helmet from Dead Space. That looks to me like a photoshop job from a hopeful fan trying to see something that isn't there.

• 4 weeks later...

I was reading the Vanity Adair article and realized they should have let Mark Hammill write TFA:

"Now, remember, one of the plots in the earlier films was the telepathic communication between my sister and me," Hamill said. "So I thought, Carrie will sense that Han is in danger and try to contact me. And she won't succeed, and, in frustration, she'll go herself. Then we're in the situation where all three of us are together, which is one of my favorite things in the original film, when we were on the Death Star. It's just got a fun dynamic to it. So I thought it would have been more effective, and I still feel this way, though it's just my opinion, that Leia would make it as far as she can, and, right when she is apprehended, maybe even facing death. Ba-boom! I come in and blow the guy away and the two of us go to where Han is facing off with his son, but we're too late. The reason that's important is that we witness his death, which carries enormous personal resonance into the next picture. As it is, Chewie's there, and how much can you get out of [passable Chewbacca wail] Nyaaarghhh! and two people who have known Han for, what, 20 minutes?"

Except that this then robs the new characters of an agency. I get his point, and if this was meant to be the story of what happens to Luke after ROTJ, this would make sense. But it isn't.

It would be like Obi-Wan and Vader having a big emotional moment in ANH. They had their quips, but it wasn't that deep. If they had gone into more depth and talked more emotionally, it would have made Luke's reaction to Ben's death less powerful. Granted in ANH we didn't have the connection to those characters like we do Luke in TFA-- but people seem to forget that Luke is there as a catalyst. He's more or less the Death Star plans. The story is Rey's and to a lesser extent, Finn's.

Except that this then robs the new characters of an agency. I get his point, and if this was meant to be the story of what happens to Luke after ROTJ, this would make sense. But it isn't.

When I listened to those ideas by Hamill, I was like "wow, Mark's got some great ideas," but then I had to wrestle with the fact that it would steal spotlight from this trilogy's leads.

Mark's other comment about an untrained Rey snatching the lightsaber from Kylo instead of Luke in TFA has the same issue. I am sooooooo glad Luke didn't show up just then. It's a great entrance for Luke...but it leaves Rey, THE main character, with nothing to do.

Besides the lightsaber snatching was such a nice, juicy Excalibur-type moment. Such a great opportunity would have been wasted giving it to Luke.

I've seen this out-of-context remark from Hamill all over now. If you go back to the original material, after he says all this he concedes that after seeing the film he realized that JJ and Kasdan did the right thing.

Mark's other comment about an untrained Rey snatching the lightsaber from Kylo instead of Luke in TFA has the same issue. I am sooooooo glad Luke didn't show up just then. It's a great entrance for Luke...but it leaves Rey, THE main character, with nothing to do.

Besides the lightsaber snatching was such a nice, juicy Excalibur-type moment. Such a great opportunity would have been wasted giving it to Luke.

We all know damn well everyone in every theater across the world would've lost their marbles had this actually happened, bad writing for Rey or not.

Sure, but instead they played the long game instead of just going for an easy cheer. We'll find out in the next couple years if it was the best call.

We all know damn well everyone in every theater across the world would've lost their marbles had this actually happened, bad writing for Rey or not.
No doubt, but then Disney would lose millions of dollars because then every theatrer would have to be shut down for a day to clean up all the ejaculations.

People cheered when Rey got the lightsaber in every single showing I went to. And I saw it a lot of times.

In the two showings I went to in two different states (the side effect of the films being released in December, so I get to watch it once at home and another when visiting my folks for Christmas) the audience cheered when the SW logo came up right before the crawl, when Rey says "the garbage will do" as we got our first shot of the Falcon and when Han did the "Chewie, we're home" line. That's it.

My point in showing Hammill's quote was that I liked his ideas in terms of the OT characters. Naturally if you just take TFA as written and change stuff based on his suggestions, you will ruin what TFA was trying to establish. I'm suggesting TFA shouldn't have been made the way it was at all and go with something more akin to what Hammill was pushing there. Although at the same time I concede it's too late for that. The actors are too old to be front and center of the story. As evidenced by Fisher's passing, rebooting the franchise with the old characters was a huge risk.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.