EPISODE VIII - THE LAST JEDI

Mara Jade Skywalker

Your attitude speaks plenty. You have said plenty of things making it clear that you are planning to hate the movie. Disney is bad. Etc etc etc

I couldn't say if you were down on TFA before it came out, but it wouldn't surprise me.

He should be lucky to even have a face still.

You know, it's pretty incredible what they're doing with Bacta these days.

It's just astonishing what they're able to accomplish with bacta these days.

In story scar reduction expo; Bacta

And done.

I, too, am glad that they're going bacta basics with this.

First: seems like some people here misunderstood the MINOR scar controversy (and I emphasize minor because even the person originally quoted in the story pointing it out didn't seem that bothered). It wasn't about the scar shrinking, it was about the scar moving. But really nobody seems to care so posting on here that you aren't bothered by it and can't believe others are, just kind of shows you didn't even read the article.

Second: I can't defend hating TFA and liking AOTC, but I do agree with Lord Darth Hunter that the scar thing (which no one cares about) is not the same as most other little film goofs. The point that the bigwigs at Disney Star Wars could have put a little more thought into that when they were making TFA is not unreasonable; this is a big deal production at this point - it's not 1980. So yeah, a bit strange for that to happen, but let's not get carried away.

The point that the bigwigs at Disney Star Wars could have put a little more thought into that when they were making TFA is not unreasonable; this is a big deal production at this point - it's not 1980. So yeah, a bit strange for that to happen, but let's not get carried away.

This isn't an attack at you, but FIRST I want to address the "Disney big wig" monster people love to blame for everything they don't like. REY IS TOO GOOD! DAMN DISNEY BIGWIGS! WHERE'S MARA JADE!?-- DAMN DISNEY BIGWIGS! KYLO'S SCAR MOVED! MAN THOSE DISNEY BIGWIGS ARE THE WORST!

They are blamed for every little thing from action figures, to casting female leads, to daring to make movies at all.

I've said this before, but I will say it again-- there are no Disney Bigwigs.

I mean, sure, there are technically. It's a company after all. And YES, they do have standards and practices when it comes to their movies-- for example, no one can smoke in a movie that Disney distributes. But is there a bunch of Disney corporate officers making a bunch of decisions, large and small, arbitrarily for Star Wars?

No.

Disney owns Lucasfilm. Bob Iger promises his shareholders a Star Wars movie every year. Christine McCarthy, as CFO, decides how much money the various divisions get, including Lucasfilm. Like Marvel and Pixar before them, Disney bought Lucasfilm as an asset to share IP and make profit off of. Did they shake things up? Assign some officers? Sure. But by and large, while all of Disney's various divisions answer to Iger, they run themselves.

Kathleen Kennedy runs Lucasfilm. She hires the writers and directors. The Directors hire the production staff. Every movie, despite being a unified universe from the same company, likely has different production designers and crews. As long as the movies are ready on time and make money, Disney could give a crap what Kennedy decides to do.

In the case of Kylo's scar, the person responsible claimed responsibility-- Rian Murphy. He said they tested the scar as it was in TFA and it was very distracting visually, so they cheated it a few inches and cleaned it up.

Simple as that.

And from that, we get people losing it that the Disney corporate monsters are making a terrible movie. I know that's not exactly being said in this thread, but the sentiment is out there.

Back to the issue here-- I strongly dislike people who like to lurk around and constantly talk shit about how terrible a movie they haven't seen is going to be.

Now don't get me wrong-- prejudge all you like. I see trailers all the time and decide, welp-- that movie is going to blow. What I don't do, is decide to take part of an ongoing community conversation about the movie while looking for any little reason as evidence it's going to be terrible and ruin people's joy.

I wait until I've actually seen the movie to ruin people's joy. At that point, argue away. But if you want to cry and moan over an inconsequential detail, guess what. You've already decided to not like the movie, and you're going in ready to hate it. I don't demand people like TLJ. They can hate it all the want. But wait to see it before you decide to come to a thread and be negative as hell.

If you see it, hate it, and have reasons-- by all means, let's argue.

The point that the bigwigs at Disney Star Wars could have put a little more thought into that when they were making TFA is not unreasonable; this is a big deal production at this point - it's not 1980. So yeah, a bit strange for that to happen, but let's not get carried away.

This isn't an attack at you, but FIRST I want to address the "Disney big wig" monster people love to blame for everything they don't like. REY IS TOO GOOD! DAMN DISNEY BIGWIGS! WHERE'S MARA JADE!?-- DAMN DISNEY BIGWIGS! KYLO'S SCAR MOVED! MAN THOSE DISNEY BIGWIGS ARE THE WORST!

They are blamed for every little thing from action figures, to casting female leads, to daring to make movies at all.

I've said this before, but I will say it again-- there are no Disney Bigwigs.

I mean, sure, there are technically. It's a company after all. And YES, they do have standards and practices when it comes to their movies-- for example, no one can smoke in a movie that Disney distributes. But is there a bunch of Disney corporate officers making a bunch of decisions, large and small, arbitrarily for Star Wars?

No.

Disney owns Lucasfilm. Bob Iger promises his shareholders a Star Wars movie every year. Christine McCarthy, as CFO, decides how much money the various divisions get, including Lucasfilm. Like Marvel and Pixar before them, Disney bought Lucasfilm as an asset to share IP and make profit off of. Did they shake things up? Assign some officers? Sure. But by and large, while all of Disney's various divisions answer to Iger, they run themselves.

Kathleen Kennedy runs Lucasfilm. She hires the writers and directors. The Directors hire the production staff. Every movie, despite being a unified universe from the same company, likely has different production designers and crews. As long as the movies are ready on time and make money, Disney could give a crap what Kennedy decides to do.

In the case of Kylo's scar, the person responsible claimed responsibility-- Rian Murphy. He said they tested the scar as it was in TFA and it was very distracting visually, so they cheated it a few inches and cleaned it up.

Simple as that.

And from that, we get people losing it that the Disney corporate monsters are making a terrible movie. I know that's not exactly being said in this thread, but the sentiment is out there.

Back to the issue here-- I strongly dislike people who like to lurk around and constantly talk **** about how terrible a movie they haven't seen is going to be.

Now don't get me wrong-- prejudge all you like. I see trailers all the time and decide, welp-- that movie is going to blow. What I don't do, is decide to take part of an ongoing community conversation about the movie while looking for any little reason as evidence it's going to be terrible and ruin people's joy.

I wait until I've actually seen the movie to ruin people's joy. At that point, argue away. But if you want to cry and moan over an inconsequential detail, guess what. You've already decided to not like the movie, and you're going in ready to hate it. I don't demand people like TLJ. They can hate it all the want. But wait to see it before you decide to come to a thread and be negative as hell.

If you see it, hate it, and have reasons-- by all means, let's argue.

Whatever man. fuck you know about it anyway?

Second: I can't defend hating TFA and liking AOTC, but I do agree with Lord Darth Hunter that the scar thing (which no one cares about) is not the same as most other little film goofs. The point that the bigwigs at Disney Star Wars could have put a little more thought into that when they were making TFA is not unreasonable; this is a big deal production at this point - it's not 1980. So yeah, a bit strange for that to happen, but let's not get carried away.

And that's exactly why the issue with the scar bugged me. I have high expectations for these movies, especially when the studio has planned them out years in advance. When the people in charge come out at cons and put up this slick, fancy PowerPoint saying, check it out everyone, we have a SW movie planned for every year from now til 2020, I'm hoping they're actually thinking these through. This isn't Friday the 13th where Jason's look changed with each movie because the director thought it would look cooler or the studio didn't care or had the money to do it right. So knowing full well what cutting Kylo's face in half in the first movie will mean for subsequent movies, I would think that's something they thought about in advance. At that point someone needed to say, hey, what exactly is he going to look like after this? He still has two more movies to appear in. No one did and so now we have the new director changing it up to how he likes it better.

Driver, I agree about the false notion that the "Disney bigwigs" interfere with these films. But that's my point. The fact that Lucasfilm has the money and freedom to make them as they see fit is exactly why these details bug me. In fact if Disney was screwing with it I would give them a pass. "Well Rian Johnson and Kennedy are trying but the Mouse House has their arms tied." Going back to my Friday the 13th example, that franchise was distributed by Paramount only to cash in on the slasher craze of the 80's. They didn't give a crap about the films. They just hired whoever came cheapest and put stuff out there to make money. Lucasfilm, from Kennedy on down to the people in the wardrobe department, have a lot more love and care for this franchise than that. So I expect a lot more from them on all of this because of it.

I went into TFA with huge expectations. Abrams, Kennedy and everyone else involved with the film said all the right things. Then upon its release I heard everyone gush about it so even more so. Then I got ANH 2.0. Huge letdown. There's no reason to think that the reverse won't happen. I'm hoping it does.

The scar moving proves that Hoth=Starkiller Base. It is a corollary to Luke's Tauntaun scars from Hoth.

**sorry, haven't been here since the early prequel days and this reminded me of some of the battles over theories like Naboo=Dagobah and Palpatine isn't Sidious, etc.

When I said "bigwigs at Disney Star Wars" I was just using it as playful shorthand for all the people you proceeded to then list accurately. I could have said "Lucasfilm", but I thought it sounded less funny.

I agree with LDH, it's just surprising that a franchise with this level of oversight didn't plan that out. I'm not bothered by it and I didn't think anyone else was. It's just a bit surprising. I think Rian Johnson made the right decision and I can't wait for Ep 8. I think I might pee myself.

When I said "bigwigs at Disney Star Wars" I was just using it as playful shorthand for all the people you proceeded to then list accurately. I could have said "Lucasfilm", but I thought it sounded less funny.

I agree with LDH, it's just surprising that a franchise with this level of oversight didn't plan that out. I'm not bothered by it and I didn't think anyone else was. It's just a bit surprising. I think Rian Johnson made the right decision and I can't wait for Ep 8. I think I might pee myself.

The thing that we as fans tend to forget is that NO ONE puts the movies under the same level of scrutiny as we do. I belong to a lightsaber community and it absolutely boggles the mind of some people there that the props are inconsistent. No lie, there are 4 narrative lightsabers in the OT, and they are represented by almost 40 different props with variations you can see onscreen.

Fans obsess and see things mainstream audiences, and filmmakers do not.

And again, in the case of the scar, it wasn't an oversight. It was a conscious decision made by the director.

And again, in the case of the scar, it wasn't an oversight. It was a conscious decision made by the director.

Your point about the OT lightsabres is kind of why I said this isn't 1980; Back then less attention was paid to these things...and it's clear GL didn't really care (either because he wanted flaws to lend to the throwback b-movie feel or because he just didn't care about that stuff).

But there are continuity/script supervisors on films for this exact reason -- to make sure things are kept as consistent as possible. Again, I have zero problem with the decision to move the scar over, but to suggest that the producers of this Star Wars series don't care about consistencies is preposterous. That's all we are saying. Not saying that it's a big deal or or even a mistake. Just that it's surprising that when placing the scar on Adam Driver's face for that two-second shot in TFA, they wouldn't say, "hey, he's going to have this scar for two more movies, let's make sure it looks good". I guess JJ thought it did and that was his decision to make, but if the people above him didn't have any thoughts about that (and surely the producers, etc. at Lucasfilm can have some input into a decision like that), I find that a little odd.

I'm not disagreeing with any of that.

(But seriously, even in TFA there's about four different versions of Luke's old lightsaber... and let's not even mention the fact it's a hybrid of the ANH and ESB versions when it should be straight ESB).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.