EPISODE VIII - THE LAST JEDI

Mara Jade Skywalker

That shot at 1:30 - was that part of Rey's vision in TFA (with Luke and R2-D2)? And at 0:54, is that Kylo Ren's destroyed helmet on the floor?

By the way, did anyone else think of that "Breathe, just breathe" song during the first part of the trailer? I can't get it out of my head when watching the trailer. I don't even like that song. Also, the shot at 0:40 reminded me of the Man of Steel. I was almost expecting Rey to take off like Superman.

Overall, I thought it was a cool trailer. I can't wait for the George Lucas Special Edition. :D

Thus finding the balance in the force. The most powerful "Jedi" would be one who embraces both the dark and the light. Not being too far on either side...right in the middle, finding balance in the force.

Kind of like, say, Rey bisecting Luke and Kylo on the poster?

Thus finding the balance in the force. The most powerful "Jedi" would be one who embraces both the dark and the light. Not being too far on either side...right in the middle, finding balance in the force.

Kind of like, say, Rey bisecting Luke and Kylo on the poster?

And Luke being larger than Kylo. Showing he understands the balance, and Kylo continues to fight it. That was something I thought was really interesting in TFA. Instead of being tempted by the dark side, he was tempted by the light and fought it. Maybe Luke comes to a higher understanding and embraces some of the dark. It would fit with him in ROTJ. Moving more towards center. That could be the meaning behind "balance".

And yeah I think the general consensus is that this is a flashback to Luke and R2 coming back upon his burning Academy, which is close chronologically to the shot of Luke putting his hand on R2 from TFA.

k9MOXXF_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Flashback... or flash forward... DUN DUN DUN

What I glean from this is:

Jedi got wiped out, Luke brought them back, and got wiped out again. He thought to himself, what the hell do we keep doing wrong? He went looking for answers, went as far back as he could, and discovered some major critical flaws in the Jedi- probably about how to manage the darkside, bringing their own destruction upon themselves and more importantly others (balance, etc). This leads him to his conclusion that the Jedi must end. Since Luke is most certainly a Jedi, he's okay with sending himself on a suicide mission.

These ideas aren't exactly aren't exactly ground-breaking. They've been mentioned before around here. I even remember myself (before TFA even came out) the idea of Luke being some kind of "reluctant hero". It certainly appears that way by this trailer.

These trailers are always misleading, let's remember that. Some line of dialogue that seems so important and gets completely over-analyzed turns out to be kind of minor.

Here's my big theory: That line where emo Luke is all "whatever dude, the Jedi are over" is from his first conversation with Rey. He doesn't want to train her or do any of this and then she convinces him. That's all. It's the old put-the-beginning-at-the-end-and-make-it-seem-like-a-climactic-line-when-it-isn't gambit.

I found it underwhelming. It's the exact same trailer we got for TFA. Luke voice over, then show Rey, Finn, Poe and BB-8. Next Kylo with ignited saber. Cut to Phasma looking bad ass, then fight scenes, ends with voice over again. With more viewings I saw a few more things I didn't notice the first time.

On the Nerdist trailer breakdown, Jessica Chobot went all out to try and find things to make this movie mirror ESB. And boy was she reaching. Let's hope more Luke and less clumsy sidekicks does this movie justice.

The one shot we got of Kylo he had a small linear scar on his face. I would've thought the way Rey almost burned his face off in TFA would've done more damage than that.

And yeah I think the general consensus is that this is a flashback to Luke and R2 coming back upon his burning Academy, which is close chronologically to the shot of Luke putting his hand on R2 from TFA.

k9MOXXF_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Flashback... or flash forward... DUN DUN DUN

I think Rey will hallucinate again.

I think the Rey hallucinating is important because that is a call back to Luke hallucinating Vader in ESB.

However the line about the Jedi ending I think is not a big deal because as I remember that whole line from Maz in the TFA trailer just ended up being some whatever moment.

I found it underwhelming. It's the exact same trailer we got for TFA. Luke voice over, then show Rey, Finn, Poe and BB-8. Next Kylo with ignited saber. Cut to Phasma looking bad ass, then fight scenes, ends with voice over again. With more viewings I saw a few more things I didn't notice the first time.

Was that Luke at the end with "Jedi must end" line? I thought it sounded like Benicio, but I'm just on my phone here.

I think you're right on this one.

To me, it looks like Luke is saying the last part of that line at 1:40. Also, someone on YouTube caught this:

LISTEN CLOSELY AND YOU CAN HEAR:
0:38 - Luke: "Reach out"
0:46 - Leia: "Help me Obi-wan"
0:51 - Darth Vader breath
0:53 - Ben Kenobi: "Seduced by the dark side"
0:59 - Yoda: "Training you'll need.. To be a Jedi"
I didn't notice that stuff until someone pointed it out. You do have to listen closely.

Just like with Evil Luke speculation from TFA, if the theme is that there's no good and evil, just people who have misunderstood it and need to be in the gray, I'm out. Not saying they can't do it well, but 100% not the Star Wars I'm interested in.

Besides, they already tried it in the books and then realized it was a shitty concept that had to be abandoned. Think about that: it was an idea that was too bad for the EU.

Just like with Evil Luke speculation from TFA, if the theme is that there's no good and evil, just people who have misunderstood it and need to be in the gray, I'm out. Not saying they can't do it well, but 100% not the Star Wars I'm interested in.

Besides, they already tried it in the books and then realized it was a ****ty concept that had to be abandoned. Think about that: it was an idea that was too bad for the EU.

Yeah...I don't know either. I didn't read many of the books, but I'm not sure how I feel about the shades of grey idea. Its...not the star wars I recognize in any real way. I DO want new ideas, however. I just don't know how I feel about THIS one; it sounds to me like it might be a mistake. We'll see.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.