EPISODE VIII - THE LAST JEDI

Mara Jade Skywalker

Guest Robin

It appears that either Luke has come to the conclusion that "earthbound" perspectives will forever taint the Will of the Force and thus the Jedi must end. Or Luke has come to the conclusion that the Jedi (and or Force users in general) as we've been shown them to be must radically change to better comply with the Will of the Force... thus technically "ending the Jedi".

Afterthought: Either way it's probably safe to assume Luke didn't just impulsively decide this given the trailer showing and hermitage implication that Luke has been sitting there just being all Zen and listening to the Force.

It appears that either Luke has come to the conclusion that "earthbound" perspectives will forever taint the Will of the Force and thus the Jedi must end. Or Luke has come to the conclusion that the Jedi (and or Force users in general) as we've been shown them to be must radically change to better comply with the Will of the Force... thus technically "ending the Jedi".

Afterthought: Either way it's probably safe to assume Luke didn't just impulsively decide this given the trailer showing and hermitage implication that Luke has been sitting their just being all Zen and listening to the Force.

i had an inkling that he says this to Rey BEFORE she convinces him to train her

Guest Robin

In a very Forrest Gumpian way of everything happening at the same time, both that idea and both possibilities I presented can all work together pretty well.

Afterthought: Either way it's probably safe to assume Luke didn't just impulsively decide this given the trailer showing and hermitage implication that Luke has been sitting their just being all Zen and listening to the Force.

i had an inkling that he says this to Rey BEFORE she convinces him to train her

Interesting point.

Finn in some sort of chamber--a scene from his rehabilitation? Or the rumored reconditioning at the hands of the First Order? If the latter turns out to be true, I expect (want) some soaring emotional threads between Finn & Rey running throughout the film, considering how close they are.

Luke, Luke and more Luke. Even in the few seconds he appears in the teaser, he still pulls in viewers with force (heh-heh) --the effect he had on the OT.

Rey's clips seem to suggest she will carry the same weight of "I am alone in this campaign" even if she has Luke as her master. However, I would like to see her friends play a more direct role in her journey than (for example) Han & Leia in ROTJ, where they were--more or less-sidelined.

Guest Robin

Maybe that isn't Finn at all but instead another FN "model" Stormtrooper.

Afterthought: I don't care about OldU or NuU explanations if there are any about FN or Troopers or rainbows or ice cream maker guy parentage (okay, maybe that one). Either it's on screen or it's just a "legend".

I lean toward Luke saying the Jedi must end before Rey turns him around. From Luke's point of view it makes sense-- the Jedi were tricked into the clone wars because they were to blind to the possibility of things going in a way they did not forsee, Luke tried to restore the order and lost everything-- maybe he just thinks it's more trouble than its worth.

The poster is the greatest Star Wars poster ever, outclassing even the beautiful Empire Strikes Back poster.

Now onto the trailer, I think it's great. First off it's the first words we've heard Luke Skywalker say since 1983, that's pretty cool. I love seeing actual books holding ancient Jedi knowledge. Not holograms or holocrons or whatever, but actual old looking books. Just makes it seem ancient. I wonder if that book we see Luke pointing out with the Jedi symbol on it is "The Journal of the Whills". Not that the title of the book matters but would be pretty cool.

Next we have the sequence with Luke asking Rey to reach out and what she sees and she says "the light, the dark, the balance..." and Luke replies "It's so much bigger than that". Now obviously this could be trailer trickery and mean nothing but taken at face value that changes everything about Star Wars. Up until now Star Wars has had good guys and bad guys, bad guys wear black, use the dark side. The light has been fighting the dark and so on. Luke is basically saying "yeah, that's small potatoes." Again, could be mixed up dialogue but it could mean something huge.

As for the "The Jedi must end" line, I said this earlier in this thread and I still think it has merit:

They are purposefully the last Jedi. Luke agrees to train Rey on the condition that it ends with them. They have to defeat Snoke and Kylo so he will train her to that purpose. However between his father and nephew he has seen the corrosive power of the dark side up close and personal and believes that the power of The Force is too great for many to handle.

So he trains Rey, they are The Last Jedi, it ends with them, There will be no more Jedi.

At least according to Luke, weather that lasts or not is up for grabs.

Since the title of the movie was released I kept thinking that "Jedi" isn't really referring to individuals. I kept thinking it was referring to the whole "religion". In the sense that you don't need to follow the specific teachings of the Jedi in order to be a light side force user. Just as Kylo Ren is a dark side force user but he is not a Sith.

My theory is that Luke originally wanted to follow and teach the way of the Jedi. Sticking to their strict rules and adhering to the teachings. But when Kylo Ren turned to the dark side, Luke decided that he needed to find the first Jedi temple and learn about the earliest days of the Jedi. He finds that the early teachings were much less strict and methodical than the more recent teachings. Knowing that the slow training, strict rules, and avoidance of everything dark side had a tendency to push some less patient students to embrace the dark. Obi Wan tells Anakin that only a With deals in absolutes. But that isn't true. Yoda states that once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. That statement in itself shows the Jedi also deal in absolutes.

Luke then decides that the Jedi, as a strict "religion" needs to come to an end and light Jedi can continue without strict adherence to the Jedi teachings. Even allowing himself to dabble with the dark side in order to be a complete force user.

Thus finding the balance in the force. The most powerful "Jedi" would be one who embraces both the dark and the light. Not being too far on either side...right in the middle, finding balance in the force.

I think this would solve some issues in the prequels as well. Because instead of "balance" being about numbers, it would be about finding that balance within forces.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.