EPISODE VIII - THE LAST JEDI

Mara Jade Skywalker

What about The Naked Gun movies?They used numbers in the sequel titles, but not sequentially. Unless I missed 30 and 5/6ths of the films in the series....

Every 4 minutes 45 seconds of the Police Squad series were equal to one full movie.

It's pretty impressive when two people who are never wrong have opposing stances!

Do I really have to take equal responsibility on this one?

Did anyone mention that in the opening crawl of TFA Luke is described as 'The Last Jedi'??

I do recall one clever (roguishly handsome) chap mentioning it.

For those looking for hidden meaning, Luke Skywalker has been identified as "The Last Jedi" three times. The first by Yoda back in Return of the Jedi just before he dies, the second time in TFA's opening crawl, and then by Snoke in his first appearance in which he says that if Skywalker returns, the "New Jedi will rise". This third I'm guessing is the most important. Skywalker's return is an existential threat to Snoke and the New Order.

Post Godfather II sequels not using numbered titles?

• Indiana Jones
  • the Next Generation Trek films
  • Lord of the Rings / Hobbit
  • Fifty Shades series
  • Rock n Roll High School Forever
  • Nolan's Batman trilogy
  • MCU's Captain America, Thor, & Avengers films
  • Harry Potter series
  • Dirty Harry series (3 released after Godfather II)
  • Underworld series
  • Percy Jackson series
  • Fantastic Four / Rise of the Silver Surfer
  • Vacation series
  • 28 Days / Week Later
  • Resident Evil series
  • JJ Abrams Star Trek series
  • Blade Runner / Blade Runner 2049

Prominent films, low rent sequels--the works over the course of 4 decades, and that's just scratching the surface.

Almost all of those were released more than 20 years after The Godfather: Part II, which does more to confirm my statement than reject it. If you want to set a point where it started to end, it would probably be with Batman Returns in 1992 after which the numbering system slowly fell out of favor.

And before you make another list, I specifically said there were exceptions. I'm commenting on a convention that was popular at a time, not making a hard and fast rule. You're not proving me wrong by listing a few movies that bucked the trend.

You posted "The early-80s were right in the middle of about a 20 year period where most sequels simply had a number or roman numeral attached to them." The point was that in the same period you mention, there were a large number of non-numbered sequels--enough not be referred to as exceptions.

It's pretty impressive when two people who are never wrong have opposing stances!

[curse hand waving]May you find yourself with Trump in his Mar-a-Lago bedroom...the same weekend Meliania is out of town....[/curse hand waving]

You posted

I'm not even going to pretend to know what you think you got me on, or how recent movies (including one that won't even release until October) have any bearing on the subject.

I'll go ahead and make this as simple and clear as possible. Between The Godfather: Part II (ironically given what it would become, Coppola thought it was Shakespearean) and Batman Returns, the vast majority of both major and minor film franchises were numbered. There were exceptions, but they are only exceptions. If the movies during that time frame were as numerous as you suggest, I'm sure you would have led with them instead of being forced to reach back before my earliest example and well beyond the time I suggested (including one that won't even be released until October!).

I can name as many numbered sequels as you want from that era. In addition to the big ones I mentioned there's Lethal Weapon, Exorcist, Predator, Friday the 13th (mostly), Nightmare on Elm Street, Beverly Hills Cop, Toxic Avenger, Die Hard, Porky's, Terminator, Halloween, Psycho, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Omen, First Blood/Rambo (which kept the numbering through two distinct titles), Death Wish, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Gremlins, Robocop, Problem Child, Child's Play, Hellraiser, Poltergeist, Smokey and the Bandit, Oh God!, Airplane!, Breakin', Meatballs, Caddyshack, Grease.

That wasn't a stretch, all those came off the top of my head and I'm sure I wouldn't have any trouble naming another 20 if I started looking them up.

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove, but just let it all rest because you make us both look like asses when you argue over a nothing statement that is rather easily provable.

<Shrug>

Highlander, Amityville, Pet Semetary, House Party, The Neverending Story, Young Guns, The Fly, Police Academy, Crocodile Dundee, Short Circuit, Iron Eagle, Arthur, Revenge of the Nerds, Creepshow, Teen Wolf (Too), Look Who’s Talking (Too), House, Care Bears, Missing in Action, Class of Nuke ‘Em High.

I think I'm up to like 60 by now.

<Shrug>

Highlander, Amityville, Pet Semetary, House Party, The Neverending Story, Young Guns, The Fly, Police Academy, Crocodile Dundee, Short Circuit, Iron Eagle, Arthur, Revenge of the Nerds, Creepshow, Teen Wolf (Too), Look Who’s Talking (Too), House, Care Bears, Missing in Action, Class of Nuke ‘Em High.

I think I'm up to like 60 by now.

..and I was just scratching the surface on the list I posted. Again, non-numbered sequels was not some exception in the period you refer to, but you're free to believe whatever you desire.

By my count, in the whole of your two separate lists, you managed to come up with 3 franchises that didn't already have non-numbered sequels in that period. So we're at 20:1 right now. That seems rather exceptional to me. I'm sure you'll eventually think of more (here's a handful, 48 Hours, Blue Lagoon, Romero's Dead series, Alien), but don't bother straining yourself too hard, because no matter what, I doubt you'll ever get the figure below 5:1, which still sounds rather exceptional.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiding this just in case. There's not much in it but I don't wanna potentially spoil someone if they don't want it.

All I've read is she's a high ranking Resistance leader who's trying to claim power after the Republic got blowed up. Apparently her and Poe are in a power struggle, though why he's that high up sounds weird to me.

I've been thinking about Lucasfilm's response to Carrie Fisher's death, and the fact that only rumors said that it messed up plans for episode 9. I'm starting to suspect they haven't said much about it outside of saying they wouldn't do a CG performance because she actually dies in TLJ.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.