EPISODE VIII - THE LAST JEDI

Mara Jade Skywalker

Not original at all. But hey, hope y'all enjoy it.

Honestly the title of the film isn't enough for me to care to argue about but I'm actually with you on this one, it's my least favourite of all the SW titles. It feels somewhat fan-filmish and unoriginal. I mean, I didn't hate the "Attack of the Clones" title when it was announced and have always had an appreciation for the old serial throwbacks so the titles for the Sequel trilogy are starting to feel somewhat generic and standard compared to what has come before. It's the only time I want them to bring the cheese.
If the movie is good enough, I won't care how "meh" the title is. Though with "The Last Jedi", I am wondering if Rey will find the power of the glow.

The Focus of the last film was Luke ? Lol ! He was in it for about 30 seconds. The story revolved around his unknown whereabouts, not the character.

I did say he was the macguffin. But the entire plot was driven by that macguffin. And the fact Luke left everything behind says a lot about his character. This movie might just let him get a word in, but his depicted actions already said a lot.

Anyway I wonder if the title doesn't have a typo. Maybe it's The Lasat Jedi, and it'll feature that Wookiee-prototype character from the current cartoon, Zilbo Baginses or whatever it's name is.

Yeah, most notably, The Last Jedi was the title of a novel by Steve Perry and . . . some other guy. Don't ask me how good or terrible the book was as I have never read it. If I remember correctly, Jedi Cool may have reviewed it.

Other than that, it was used as a story arc back in the old Marvel days. A similar title--Last of the Jedi--was the name of a series of junior novels starring Obi-Wan Kenobi set in the time between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.

So yeah, not very original at all.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Kylo is the last of the Knights of Ren, so I doubt it.

I'm thinking The Last Jedi could also mean just like the Sith are now extinct and have (apparently) been replaced by Snoke and the Knights of Ren (Kylo), maybe Luke is the last of the jedi, and if he dies, the jedi become extinct, and something must replace the jedi in a similar way. Rey becomes trained in the force, and is a light side user, but perhaps never becomes a jedi. Maybe Luke finds out the Jedi way has been flawed all along, and that the only way to stop Snoke and Kylo, is that the jedi need to become extinct, and make way for a different and/or new type of light side force user. Which is Rey.

El Chalup, I think your theory about this being a transition from the old Jedi-Sith dichotomy has been floating around and it makes a lot of sense.

Luke already showed that he was moving away from it in RotJ as he flirted with the darkside and let his emotions dictate his actions (as opposed to the old Jedi ways of detachment).

It's perhaps hinted at in Rey's moment of "awakening" as the glow from both the red and blue lightsabres fall on her face. Perhaps she realizes that it's not about the light vanquishing the dark, but about uniting the two extremes and finding peace in moderation. Balance between attachment and detachment, love and hate, power and poverty, etc.

Here's an article from the other day that discusses it further: http://uproxx.com/hitfix/star-wars-last-jedi-theory/

Guest El Chalupacabra

Curious - how do we know Kylo is the last?

Unless I am remembering it wrong, I believe Snoke said as much to Kylo in TFA.

Edit: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Knights_of_Ren

Knights of Ren are referred to in the past tense. Still trying to see if I can find the quote...

Edit #2:

Supreme Leader Snoke: There has been an awakening. Have you felt it?

Kylo Ren: Yes.

Supreme Leader Snoke: The dark side, and the light. The droid you seek is aboard the Millennium Falcon in the hands of your father, Han... Solo.

Kylo Ren: He means nothing to me.

Supreme Leader Snoke: Even the Knights of Ren have never faced such a test.

Kylo Ren: By the grace of your training I will not be seduced.

Supreme Leader Snoke: We shall see, Kylo Ren. We shall see.

That must be the dialogue I am remembering. So, I do have to make a correction there. Snoke's quote seems to be present tense, too, and there is a case to be made there are more Knights of Ren still around.

I could have sworn he said "Last of the knights of Ren," though. My bad.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.