EPISODE VIII - THE LAST JEDI

Mara Jade Skywalker

Excellent title. Simple, feels like something from and old serial, and has roots throughout the saga.

For those looking for hidden meaning, Luke Skywalker has been identified as "The Last Jedi" three times. The first by Yoda back in Return of the Jedi just before he dies, the second time in TFA's opening crawl, and then by Snoke in his first appearance in which he says that if Skywalker returns, the "New Jedi will rise". This third I'm guessing is the most important. Skywalker's return is an existential threat to Snoke and the New Order.

So, I'm going to go with this being a pretty straightforward title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkVDyikw8Tg

That'll be three titles named after Luke, ever more than Anakin or Palpatine!

If you wanna take the title AOTC as a point to the bad guys, thatll now make the bad guys and guys equal in title.power.

Bad guys. Good guys

TPM. Anh

AOTC. Rotj

ROTS. Tfa

ESB. TLJ

Which side will win out IX?

I do not like this name for this movie at all!

Unless it turns out in the future 1 that Episode IX will also a have a three-word title beginning with the same definite article. If that is the case then it is fine 2.

If that is not the case, if, say, Episode IX is called "Han Solo's Ghost Has Advice" or "Lightsabers Of Alderaan" or "More X-Wings For Everyone" or what-have-you, then this title for Episode VIII is bad. But if it's something like "The Next Republic" or "The Grand Finale" or "The New Ewoks" or as-you-like, then, yes, this title will retroactively seem pretty good to me.

All three of the new movies in the new trilogy being named the same way as each other sits well for me while two of them following the same pattern while the third digresses from it feels bad 3 for me.

1 Assuming there is one, of course. Here's hoping; fingers crossed; who-knows-what-could-happen; maybe everything will be okay.

2 Well, no, of course it isn't. I would still prefer a title which follows the framing of "The Empire Strikes Back" or "Attack Of The Clones" for this middle-of-the-trilogy movie and a third one which is syntactically similar to "Return of the Jedi" and "Revenge of the Sith" but, well, you can't dance at every wedding. You can't hug every cat.

3 I don't know, man. I must just exist on a different wavelength from whoever(s) is in charge of the Star Wars. Did you see that bit they cut out from The Force Awakens where Chewie just tore off the arm from the guy who was shortchanging Rey on her salvage operations, the "One quarter portion!" guy, the guy who was voiced by Simon Pegg I think? For some reason they thought that this character, this guy who was apparently entrusted with the safety of a little girl by persons unknown (unless it was a different guy of the same species in the flashback sequence) and then exploited her innate special-ness for personal gain, who literally kept food out of her mouth, for some reason they were all like "let's remove the part where he violently loses the section of his body that he used to deny her bodily sustenance with; this bit of poetic justice isn't needed, nerds will just think of it as a callback to a line from ANH and/or in general in keeping with the Star Wars ethos of grotesque bodily harm and loss of necessary extremities, it doesn't really work tonally; he loses his ship, that's punishment enough for him, right?" instead. I don't really get that. Keep that in your movie, JJAbrams & Co.! But, then again, in the new one, there's a guy who carts around a can of laser juice w/him the whole movie, the big can is what powers his cool gun and makes it fire out the lasers all rapidfire and tout suite, but does his blaster rifle like catch fire and then he has to choose to heroically sacrifice himself before the fire reaches the can of laser juice on his back, like in a sort of flamethrower situation, no, of course not, that would be an actually good death for him and instead he just dies because of a grenade (I think, don't really remember). I mean, they're not complete fools. They make him look over in his final moments at the corpse of his best pal / heterosexual life partner / fellow member of celibate monastic order / husband, like, for real husband. I don't know. Why are the titles bad? Why are the deaths and/or dismemberments bad (or, umm, missing, they removed the removal from their movie!)? Why is everything bad? How come nothing tastes good? So many questions.

Geezus H Christ. How do people put so much thought into these titles and patterns and all that. I promise you that Johnson didn't give it a word of thought. The titles fall into 2 categories the first is 3 or 4 words, quick and easy: TPM, ANH, ESB, TFA, TLJ. Or Blank of the Blank: AOTC, ROTS, ROTJ. Those are all the titles right there. And in reality for the most part its just wording you could rejigger most of the titles to fit the other way. Return of the Jedi could easily be "The Jedi's Return" or ROTS could be "The Sith's Revenge". Just like this title could easily be "Last of the Jedi".

I also love how Disney has taken the episode number out of the official titles.

Agreed, that was an unfortunate legacy of The Phantom Menace being known as Episode I for so long that it easier to market it that way.

I wish that they had enough faith to completely drop Star Wars from the title and just call it The Last Jedi and leave it at that like they did for The Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi. It just made the series feel more special when I was growing up that a sequel in this series could have a completely unique name and yet everyone knew exactly what you were talking about.

I also love how Disney has taken the episode number out of the official titles.

Agreed, that was an unfortunate legacy of The Phantom Menace being known as Episode I for so long that it easier to market it that way.

I wish that they had enough faith to completely drop Star Wars from the title and just call it The Last Jedi and leave it at that like they did for The Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi. It just made the series feel more special when I was growing up that a sequel in this series could have a completely unique name and yet everyone knew exactly what you were talking about.

I think that's just a product of the times. Plus when you look at the logos for Empire and Jedi, Star Wars is still present.

I think that's just a product of the times. Plus when you look at the logos for Empire and Jedi, Star Wars is still present.

The early-80s were right in the middle of about a 20 year period where most sequels simply had a number or roman numeral attached to them (Godfather, The French Connection, Jaws, Rocky, Superman, Karate Kid, Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, etc.). There were still exceptions of course (the Bond films continued to have completely unique names of course), and there were some numbered movies with by-lines like the Trek movies.

But Star Wars was going definitely bucking the Hollywood trend at the time by not simply calling itself Star Wars II and leaving it at that.

I don't mind the title, it implies the focus of this film is on Luke. One thing we can be sure of is we'll see a lot of him in this one. I don't think the title means he's going to die, but I think we'll get to learn more about what 'The Last Jedi' has been up to over the years...

If he does die, then does the title mean there will be no more Jedi after Luke ?

I'm actually hoping that we see General Leia use some type of force advance powers. It never stated that she wasn't a Jedi inclined. We just didn't see it. Remember the teaser with her hand taking the lightsaber? It'd be a bittersweet send off for Carrie Fisher.

The early-80s were right in the middle of about a 20 year period where most sequels simply had a number or roman numeral attached to them (Godfather, The French Connection, Jaws, Rocky, Superman, Karate Kid, Back to the Future, Ghostbusters, etc.). There were still exceptions of course (the Bond films continued to have completely unique names of course), and there were some numbered movies with by-lines like the Trek movies.

But Star Wars was going definitely bucking the Hollywood trend at the time by not simply calling itself Star Wars II and leaving it at that.

This was Lucas making films that he was looking at from the perspective of his bakcground with the serials he loved to watch. Hence why each Star Wars and Indiana Jones had their own titles and not just a number attached to each sequel.

Not original at all. But hey, hope y'all enjoy it.

Honestly the title of the film isn't enough for me to care to argue about but I'm actually with you on this one, it's my least favourite of all the SW titles. It feels somewhat fan-filmish and unoriginal. I mean, I didn't hate the "Attack of the Clones" title when it was announced and have always had an appreciation for the old serial throwbacks so the titles for the Sequel trilogy are starting to feel somewhat generic and standard compared to what has come before. It's the only time I want them to bring the cheese.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.