Inauguration Day!

Ms. Spam

Trumps been in office just DAYS and I already have major complaints about every ****ing thing he's done. Hope that brings a smile to your face.

You're almost as interesting a piece of wrk as he is. ALMOST.

Everything? I wouldn't have put you as a TPP supporter.

Post of the thread. Says so much. With so little.

I don't have your talent for brevity, Brando. :)

Understatement.

And why wouldn't you have assumed I was a TPP supporter?

Because pretty much every prominent Democrat opposed it, including Clinton and Sanders.

Its main base of support was actually establishment Republicans.

It's OK, MG, to admit that maybe not everything Trump does is evil Hitler. I disagree with plenty that Trump and the GOP does.

Independent thought. Give it a try. I won't tattle on you to your liberal friends, I promise. :)

My biggest gripe so far is that everything is such a god awefully poor mess that the people who recently had a tornado tear through their town hasn't gotten help from FEMA. This transition team cares more about arguing with the press about how many people showed up on inauguration day than it does about it's own job.

Well that and they probably spent half of Monday trying to figure out where the nearest bathroom was and the other half waiting for IT to come by and help them figure out their systems now that they're on the real thing. I've read about past transitions, and it's actually pretty funny stuff how disorganized it is to have a whole new staff come in, find their username and temp password on a sticky note, and suddenly they're all in charge of the highest levels of out government just like that. And the Trump folks probably set a new bar in incompetence.

I figure there were about five guys on Wednesday that pointed at each other and said they thought it was the other guy's job to put the FEMA releases on the president's desk.

Honestly, there were donuts involved. But it was by no means a waste of time. It was an educational experience.

More seriously, your implication that I needed to "pick my battles" with my wife is demeaning. You aren't familiar with my marriage, and you shouldn't be commenting on it. It's not appropriate.

I'd enjoy discussing the current political climate with you more. Your insights are always astute and I learn a lot from you. However I fear you and I don't have enough in common anymore for there to be a fruitful exchange. The wealth disparity alone makes it hard for you to see my perspective and frankly I doubt there's anything I can say or do that you wouldn't mock and dismiss, including this post.

Oh pav, I'm not implying anything. Simply offering up two possilibites that appears to apply to pretty much everyone who participated. Not suggesting that one possibility was more likely than the other. :)

I'm disappointed to hear you don't think we have enough in common anymore. Have the battle lines really been drawn that strongly for you? I would hazard to guess that we probably have more in common than maybe any other two people left on this board, given that, at least to my knowledge, we're the only professionals here with post-graduate education and roots in the Northeast (even if yours was more temporary). Also I'm a little confused as to why you'd think my perspective is limited. After all, I understood pretty easily why Trump got elected, despite me not having anything in common with probably a good half of his voters. Something that liberals are still really struggling with.

Try me. I'm not going to mock or dismiss you, long as you give me a little bit more benefit of the doubt than say, Tex. Look, I know my initial post to you was more of a shot across the bow than it was inviting, and so I'm taking it back, OK? I didn't mean to suggest anything about your marriage pav. :)

I think you're being a bit alarmist in this thread, which I suspect is based in an emotive reaction and groupthink pressure from your peers- something that I find surprising, coming from a man of science. I don't think making comments suggesting that this administration is somehow "hostile" to the very idea of science or educated people is very productive, nor is it good for your mental health. It's an untrue statement that leads me to believe you're letting your political fandom of one side color your thinking too much. Shoot, I was pretty disappointed when my NY Giants got knocked out of the playoffs too, but I let it go after a couple days brotha.

Let's think about this for a second. I'm pretty sure the scientist that works for ExxonMobil is gonna be just fine over the next 4 years. Sh-t, he's probably grinning ear to ear. Or the nuclear physicist that works for Pantex. Or the aeronautical engineer that works for Lockheed Martin (even accounting for Trump's criticism of the F-35 project.. they're gonna be just fine).

Now, will the whole cottage industry of scientists that have cropped up around academia and non-profits still be fine? I dunno. Maybe, maybe not. But if that's the concern, well then just say that instead of being all hyperbolic about it. Now that's probably a comment and concern I could understand- after all, who doesn't get a little worried when the gravy train looks like it might be ending? But let me offer to you a different perspective. Today much was said about how apparently the Doomsday Clock was moved 30 seconds closer to midnight by the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, for basically no other reason than the fact that Trump was elected. So, now apparently we are closer to doomsday than most of the time during the Cold War, a time when, you know, we actually had a legitimate risk of a nuclear war with Russia. And why? Because of an election. It's like, really? Come on.

I know that you do more hard science, and I'm not trying to loop you in with this tomfoolery, but for every one of you, there's of 3 of them. And this is an organization that has 15 Nobel Laureates as sponsors by the way, peddling this "science." Maybe you can understand now, why plenty of educated Republicans like myself, are not particularly disturbed when certain GOP elements go on the warpath, even if I believe in Jesus about as much as I believe in sobriety. If you're gonna become political with an overt agenda, then you can't be surprised when you're treated like just another political lobby.

To be fair, it's not just scientists in academia. Not at all. It's people of my background too- I had a political science degree in undergrad. Well sh-t, talking about cottage industries, let me tell you about the whole think tank scam in DC of these NGOs that basically do nothing, employ tons of poli sci majors with middling IQs that produce bullsh-t "scholarship," and are basically just living high off the hog until their chosen party wins (and then they cycle into made up positions at the State Department). Apparently many of these people on the GOP side came begging for jobs in the Trump administration and never got the call since they'd been blacklisted for being Never Trumpers. You can imagine how wide my grin was. I had one friend who was like this, working some retarded fake job at some random conservative think tank who a couple days after the election (and presumably being rejected for a position) went into near hysteria on FB and has been non-stop posting about how we can surely expect the Four Horsemen to come down from the sky any day now since Trump was elected. I could barely contain my laughter. Actually, I'm lying... I didn't contain anything and laughed for probably about 10 min straight. So no, it's not just a you problem. (btw, I'm using "you" in the rhetorical sense in this post, I don't mean you personally).

Anyways, just some things to think about pav. You don't have to have the guard up 24/7. You don't necessarily have to be culturally signaling all the time. It's OK to admit that maybe you're just pissed because you know where your bread is buttered. And it's OK to maybe admit I might have a point here and there... I get it, you could obviously not say this in front of your peers, since agreeing with a Trump supporter on anything (even just a possible Trump supporter) is a fireable offense in your circles, but again, just some things to think about.

we're the only professionals here with post-graduate education

AHEM

My ivory tower bell rang, too. I didn't pay all that money for nothin'.

Also I've got nothing of substance to add, I just wanted to put pen to paper that I think Tex is a pretty miserable human being. That's all, thanks!

Aw I'm sorry Tank. I guess I was talking about professionals in the traditional sense, although come to think of it, there's no good reason why someone in the entertainment industry should be excluded from that. My apologies.

I wouldn't say I'm bothered by anything he's done. Most of it is just rolling back policy to where we were in the Clinton era.

But do I disagree with some of it? Sure. I practice what I preach, Tank. The wall's a good example- not a big fan. Its primary purpose is mainly just one part political theater, one part a symbolic show of strength, but practically speaking, it will likely not do much and has a high possibility of becoming a taxpayer boondoggle. Some of the other actions Trump has taken are much more effective at actually doing something about illegal immigration (e.g., ending 'catch and release,' putting pressure on sanctuary cities, etc.).

Guest El Chalupacabra

No need to take it further man. The apology was a real one.

I place significant value on educational attainment and highly respect those that seek it. My assumption was an unfair one and unfortunately probably reveals something quite negative about me, I understand that.

Apology accepted, at least by me.

Edit:

I flew off the handle, and I was saying something no better than what I accused you of, and ended up just embarrassing myself. Sorry about that.

And to everyone else, I know it's been a problem of mine in the past year with other posters at Nightly, too. I have no excuse, and I apologize for that as well. I will do my best not to be so argumentative in the future.

I place significant value on educational attainment and highly respect those that seek it. My assumption was an unfair one and unfortunately probably reveals something quite negative about me, I understand that.

I, who apparently have a good bit fewer educational credentials than a lot of people on this board, am not bothered by any of CM's statements in the least.

Damn, I've been served. My paltry little Assoc degree in environmental science, BS in biology, and masters in biosafety and biosecurity don't measure up. Ima go cry in a corner now. Wish I was one of the smart kids.

Or maybe it's the being from the Northeast that trumps (see what I did there?) my ign'unt southernness.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I, who apparently have a good bit fewer educational credentials than a lot of people on this board, am not bothered by any of CM's statements in the least.

Degrees don't always guarantee intelligence, or that one will do intelligent things. I've proven that more than my fair share of times around here.

As the only high school dropout I am aware of around here let me just say, **** all y'all. I know some stuff.

Well said. I know plenty of people with all kinds of letters after their names who don't know enough to get in out of the rain. PhD = piled higher and deeper.

I wasn't bothered by them either, but it's just so rare to find something clearly factually wrong in her post that I felt the need to chime in despite the fact that I mainly just lurk in the Lyceum besides throwing in an occasional attempt at a joke. I don't like to participate partly because it is too easy to get overly emotional when discussing politics and also because I spend most of the day reading, writing, and talking about serious things that it's nice to just argue about why they close bastdoors.

I am working on my Masters but I honestly think I'm dismissed because I seriously don't take posting on a message board, well, seriously. Sometimes it's about poking the bear with me for a reaction and I really don't care what people think of me. The most I assume of any of our readership on this board is that they can read and - hopefully - comprehend. I do miss Pong. He was super smart trolly and had post-graduate work under his belt too.

CM actually brought up a point close to home: the wall Trump wants to build. It is a giant waste of time and resources. The best way to actually build the wall is to increase technology along our borders I think and go with a virtual wall where drones and other tools are used to monitor the border. We already have walls in cities along the border. The manufactured scare tactics of terrorists coming across our borders created anxieties about the border but really it's more about drugs and weapons than terrorists. This 20% tariff Trump wants to impose is something I've been reading about this week. Not really sure what impact that will have yet.

Trumps been in office just DAYS and I already have major complaints about every ****ing thing he's done. Hope that brings a smile to your face.

You're almost as interesting a piece of wrk as he is. ALMOST.

Everything? I wouldn't have put you as a TPP supporter.

Post of the thread. Says so much. With so little.

I don't have your talent for brevity, Brando. :)

Understatement.

And why wouldn't you have assumed I was a TPP supporter?

Because pretty much every prominent Democrat opposed it, including Clinton and Sanders.

Its main base of support was actually establishment Republicans.

It's OK, MG, to admit that maybe not everything Trump does is evil Hitler. I disagree with plenty that Trump and the GOP does.

Independent thought. Give it a try. I won't tattle on you to your liberal friends, I promise. :)

I'm not a Democrat, though, prominent or otherwise. But now I get why you'd think the way you do about this. And I'll admit when Trump does something that's not evil when he actually does something that's not evil. Independent thought? You mean things like being an avid supporter of the 2nd Amendment when almost all my friends are terrified of guns? Or still thinking the Electoral College is a good idea though most liberals want to now get rid of it? I'll consider it.

For the record: I also wasn't offended by CM's post. I was just poking fun.

It's a fair assumption (at least from my posting from afar). I know pav is in science or (academia?), I know CM has been in law (and/or finance?), and they have the requisite degrees for that. I also know because they frequently lend their expertise in those areas to discussions. I couldn't really tell you about too many other posters educational backgrounds, even the ones I'm friends with on facebook and get tons of regular updates from!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.