Inauguration Day!

Ms. Spam

Time will tell what's going to happen. Maybe Trump will turn out to be a very bland president who.didnt change very much for the better or for the worst

His administration will be remembered (probably celebrated by a large part of the population) for his Supreme Court selections. The wall after that.

Michelle Obama's IDGAF face was superb! Hats off to you, ma'am!

She was being an asshole--bitter on the way out. However, contrary to some of my colleagues treating her like some God-Mother of Earth, I do understand sandbox level behavior is not the hallmark of the Right alone.

I don't read Michelle's reaction that way at all. Without being her, we can't say what she was feeling but she wasn't being an asshole. I personally thought she was upset but life changes are hard. Not everyone can be Hillary Clinton wearing white and not even getting a handshake while she attends the inauguration of the person she lost to.

Yeah what happened yesterday was great. I really hope these people keep sounding off because they just make the Trump movement even stronger.

I would understand if they protested after he fucked something up but to do before he's done anything is just stupid. Let's see what this guy can do before we come down on him.

The American people saw through the bullshit. They don't care about open mic comments about grabbing *****, they just want something different. Millions of women rolled there eyes at that comment and voted for Trump.

And Seth if you really think I've posted hateful stuff here I'd really like to know what you're talking about. I've just followed everyone else's lead here. The problem you have with me isn't what I say, it's that we disagree on everything and you simply don't want to hear it. I'd really like to meet you in real life so that you could see that I'm just a regular guy who wants everyone to be happy.

Back to Trump let's see what he can do. If his plan with the tax cuts and the tariffs improve the economy then great. If they don't , vote him out. If his rhetoric about illegal immigrants and radical Islamic extermists resullts in something horrible then vote him out.

I could go on and on but you get the point. The protesters and the violence have less to do with Trump being president and more to do with people being childish. These are people who refuse to look at the big picture. The concept of delayed gratification is completely lost on these folks, among many other things. And they will cry about it. Literally.

Personally I like the division because I think it will make us all stronger. The reason why we have elections is to avoid civil war. It just works. We'll have riots, but less people die that way. There is no war of the roses with the current system, and we should be proud of that.

We live in a meritocracy (Ameritocracy?) and if Trump totally sucks people will be right to complain and he'll just go away. Until then shut the fuck up and give the guy a chance.

Are you saying that because something similar happened in the past that it is acceptable for it to continue? Or are you asking, indirectly, why there wasn't similar outrage at similar behavior?

There was outrage, just from the other side of the political isle. It's all about partisanship. That's why it all rings hollow to me.
Are you saying that feminism is partisan?

I was at my local protest (Madison, Wisconsin) because I support my wife and my friends, of whatever ethnicity or faith or beliefs. I've also tried reaching out to my representatives in Congress who are supposed to listen to me and my concerns. The protests are just another way to get the attention of those representatives. They can ignore individual phone calls (Senator Ron Johnson's office doesn't even answer the phone nowadays), emails, and letters, but the volume of correspondence can't be ignored. The protests can't be ignored. It worked for the Tea Party, didn't it? All the Tea Partiers bitching for years started to get them what they wanted. It's only smart to go with what works.

Guest El Chalupacabra

But setting limousines on fire and chaining yourselves together and other ridiculous, infantile displays of protest does no one any favors. The far left has done nothing but embarrass themselves, and the nation in general. The thing I fear is the reincarnation of Occupy Wall Street and other freak child protest movements. Especially since the first round was when someone they actually liked was president. Imagine what they will do, now that someone they actually hate is president. The 1960s Noam Chomsky protester tactics of the crazy left is totally played out. The rest of us tune you freaks out. Shut the eff up and deal. Grow up, bide your time, and field a candidate worthy of voting for. That's what you do if you want to make a real, lasting change.

I agree with this personally, but again, I don't think it's going to change public perception much. Truth is, rioting, protesting, direct action and so forth are deeply romanticized in the canon of "The Church of Liberalism" as Carrie Mathison calls it. No small number of people world wide, and these politically connected and engaged people, no doubt watched video footage of Antifa running about setting limousines on fire, smashing Starbucks windows (the irony!) and punching alt-right luminary Richard Spencer in the head during an interview (not that he didn't have it coming, but still ...) and think "right on! That's how real social change happens!" It might be strategically wise for the progressives to change their tack and start trying to make overtures towards other groups or even rebranding themselves to an extent, but I wouldn't expect it unless they lose in 2020. They seem to be confident that the long term demographic trajectory - the "old white dudes" dying off and being replaced by younger, hipper cohorts - working in their long term favor.

Trump is ultimately going to punch his own ticket here, one way or another. He'll enjoy incumbent advantage in 2020. Plus the house of reps - already heavily gerrymandered, is likely to remain in GOP hands through 2020 given how dominant the GOP now is at the state level. While Trump had an icy relationship with much of the GOP establishment during his campaign, I really doubt they'll act to obstruct him much in congress given how partisan party voting patterns tend to be. It's quite unlikely, I think, that GOP representatives will vote against their own guy to a degree that would obstruct Trump's agenda and thereby support the democrats. So there's that as well. Trump will be unpopular in most mainstream media, but again they preach to the choir more or less, and Trump has proven himself adept at circumventing this and communicating with his base of support more directly via social media - his twitter account especially (follow him on twitter if you're not already, it's definitely worth it!) and he might even be able to continue playing the whole media thing to his advantage by coming across as the underdog in the face of a hostile media apparatus and "fake news." Hell, I cheered out loud when he came out and called Buzzfeed a "failing pile of garbage." About time somebody did.

Nothing is for certain, of course. He could well lose in 2020. But I doubt that will occur as a result of public frustration with liberal smugness, political correctness or dumb radicals rioting and blocking traffic. That tends to happen in blue state territory as is, and for "the Church of Liberalism", condescending white male guilt are the sermons they've gathered to hear and obstructionist civil disobedience are the sacraments they've gathered to fast and tithe for.

That is exactly why I am a registered independent, and not a democrat. I just can't get on board with the immature and crazy attitudes of a lot of far left dems and academia liberals. They are the left's version of the crazy, end is nigh bible thumpers who stand on street corners holding up signs. Even if there is a topic I might even be inclined to agree with in principle, that behavior is such a turn off, that I become indifferent or actually side against them.

As much as I thought the Tea Party was full of crazies when they were protesting especially during Obama's first term, and the fact that I still believe that some of the more extreme Tea Partiers and the later Trump supporters were motivated by prejudice (maybe not out and out racism, but xenophobia), I have to say that their protests were not nearly as destructive or divisive as the extreme left (IE Occupy Wall Street, BLM, etc).

Both parties have some ideas I agree with. I may lean more left than right, but I consider myself a centrist. It's just a shame that there seems to be no place for that mindset in American politics. Sometimes, I feel like people who are of similar mindset as I am are almost as rare as unicorns. There surely isn't enough to make a difference in elections. It's always the extremes on each side that win out.

I was at my local protest (Madison, Wisconsin) because I support my The protests can't be ignored. .

YES.... THEY...CAN!!!

But do it anyway. It's cute.

You're not the intended audience, not really. Unless you're a member of Congress. You're certainly unlikabale enough to be one.

I've made the required efforts through the proper channels. I've written and called my representatives, expressed my concerns about policies and goals of the President and Congress. There's no indication that they're listening. What do you recommend I do? Sit on my ass and wait to be screwed over?

Nope. The literally millions of people protesting nationwide and the white house literally using the term "alternative facts" to try and lessen the impact isn't proof at all of the fact that people notice and it might make a difference. MILLIONS of people are wrong, but Tex is right.

MLK should have just stayed home!

All those Boston Tea Party jerks too.

There couldn't be a possible reason as to why our Constitution literally speaks to the right to protest.

I've made the required efforts through the proper channels. I've written and called my representatives, expressed my concerns about policies and goals of the President and Congress. There's no indication that they're listening. What do you recommend I do? Sit on my ass and wait to be screwed over?

Just vote accordingly. That's how little of a voice any of us has.

I hear they serve Happy Meals in concentration camps so you should be fine.

Nope. The literally millions of people protesting nationwide and the white house literally using the term "alternative facts" to try and lessen the impact isn't proof at all of the fact that people notice and it might make a difference. MILLIONS of people are wrong, but Tex is right.

There couldn't be a possible reason as to why our Constitution literally speaks to the right to protest.

Nothing about that post makes any sense other than me being right.

If you're going to address fake news, please do so intelligently.

Why do you post things like that, Tex?

I did vote accordingly. My candidates didn't win. The winners are still supposed to listen and represent me. I'm not seeing any sign that the Republicans that represent me listen to me or desire my future vote. In the meantime I'll just have to write, call, email and protest until November 2018. But I'm not going to shut up just to make you feel comfortable.

I'm a straight white male so you'd think I'd be fine for now, but I'm educated and a scientist, so I'm facing a government that is actively hostile to my interests and goals. Facts don't matter to the Trump administration; if facts are so important to you, Tex, by all means tell your dear leader to respect them.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh man. Here I was ready to get mad, and now you bust this out? Not only do I not take you seriously, but now I am suddenly relieved of any angst and anger you were causing me, You're a troll, attention whore, and a clown, and it's obvious to everyone.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh man. Here I was ready to get mad, and now you bust this out? Not only do I not take you seriously, but now I am suddenly relieved of any angst and anger you were causing me, You're a troll, attention whore, and a clown, and it's obvious to everyone.

Well you're welcome. Sometimes the kids just need to be put in time out.

Could deal with a little less name calling. But then again, you are a liberal. That's kinda your thing. Feel better now?

Really love the typed laugh. Doubt you have the ability laugh in real life unless it's at someone else's expense.

Cute kid, you are. But you should probably lose some weight. Being fat doesn't make you tough doughboy.

Because he is a troll. Go look at the Carrie Fischer thread. He repeatedly posts things that are obviously said to get a reaction. That's all he wants and his last post proved it.

Well this is a place where people love to mock celebrity deaths. I just chose to mock a celebrity death that meant something to Star Wars nerds.

Really a shame about George Michael, isnt it?

God I love you. If you seriously get mad at anything I say, on a ****ing messageboard, you should probably take the pacifier out and learn to walk.

I love all you guys

Says I'm wrong. Says I don't bother him. Posts three times to get a rise out of me. Troll 101.

Well the three posts part is correct. Definitely said you were wrong, proving my point(s) in the process.

Does it bother me? No. Good stuff. FAKE NEWS.

Troll 102 I guess? Or do people only have a voice if you say so? If that's the case i vote yes just for the entertainment value.

Keep up the good work, Seth.

I did vote accordingly. My candidates didn't win. The winners are still supposed to listen and represent me. I'm not seeing any sign that the Republicans that represent me listen to me or desire my future vote. In the meantime I'll just have to write, call, email and protest until November 2018. But I'm not going to shut up just to make you feel comfortable.

I'm a straight white male so you'd think I'd be fine for now, but I'm educated and a scientist, so I'm facing a government that is actively hostile to my interests and goals. Facts don't matter to the Trump administration; if facts are so important to you, Tex, by all means tell your dear leader to respect them.

How is it hostile to your interests?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.