Resurrecting deceased actors via CGI.... ethical or not ?

the trumpet player 2

I think that's most of the OT/PT characters that appeared in Rebels. Just off the top of my head, the only ones who appeared in the OT/PT and had different voice actors in Rebels were Tarkin, Obi-wan, Leia and Bail Organa, Wedge Antilles...seems closer to 50/50 than "a few exceptions", and out of those, two were played by now-dead actors (Leia doesn't count as Carrie was still alive when her episodes were recorded).

I thought it might be him too, but apparently the voice actor for Ben Kenobi in Rebels during the episode was different to the Obi-wan VA from Clone Wars. They used the TCW VA for the transmission that Kanan has a copy of, but a different VA for the Maul episode. Check the IMDB page, there are two different VAs listed.

Is this tangent really becoming a debate? The main PT actors and big name actors (Hayden Christensen, Natalie Portman, Ewan McGregor, Sam Jackson, Chistopher Lee) didn't voice their characters. That was LDH's point. What are you arguing? That the actors who could use the paycheck did some voice work?

I just imdb'd Clone Wars and I only see Anthony Daniels and Ahmed Best reprising their roles.

Oh and the movie looks like Jackson and Lee did play Mace and Dooku. Still, that sounds like a few exceptions to me. Either way, this has little to do with the discussion and I really hate myself for arguing this.

Thanks Filthy Jawa for understanding my point. Kyrian, that's why I mentioned there were exceptions, which only strengthens my point, the one person that is the subject of this thread, Carrie Fisher, did not voice Leia two seasons ago.

I read some news about the Fisher family's wishes regarding this very subject which I believe could be taken as spoilers. So I won't post it here but if anyone cares to read about it go to screenrant.com.

I just imdb'd Clone Wars and I only see Anthony Daniels and Ahmed Best reprising their roles.

Oh and the movie looks like Jackson and Lee did play Mace and Dooku. Still, that sounds like a few exceptions to me. Either way, this has little to do with the discussion and I really hate myself for arguing this.

Lee and Jackson only did it for the very first CW episode arc which was also released limited theatrically as a movie.

I wouldn't mind them explaining Leia's death in the opening crawl of Episode 9. She passed in the time between. Her part could be tailored to a new character then.

To address the topic, I think it's down to the family what happens in terms of CG. I have no problems with it if they're cool. I think of the Actor and CG combination performances as a homage or tribute to the actor. That sort of thing has been going on for years with music acts. You don't need any permission to do that.

Let's not forget that Leia and Tarkin were played by Actors in Rogue 1 and the faces were digitally mapped on. It's not like they are just making it all from scratch!!

BTW: Watched Rogue One with my eldest on Blu Ray last night. She missed it in the cinema as she wasn't very well. Anyway... the first scene with Tarkin and she spotted the actor straight away. He's in her favourite show every week and she knew who he was almost immediately. Incredible spot that. I knew the actor and I was gonna ask her if she knew who played him but she was too good

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.