Bitcoin and the future of currensy

RamonAtila

I was just thinking (and I'm not all smart about explaining myself well so here it goes)

I was thinking about Bitcoin and imagined a future where a bunch of new currensies like Bitcoin popped up and us returning to Babylonian and ancient Egypt days when a lot of different decentralized currensies existed and how certain products could only be bought with certain currensies. Then I wondered if this were true what would happen to national currensies like the dollar, and I imagined it would still be around but only used for government spending.

Could this crazy future I envisioned work or not work?

In theory it could potentially work, but in reality, governments aren't in the business of giving up their monopolies or a huge portion of their ability to drive fiscal policy.

They may remain a fringe commodity that some people use as a currency, but the chance of it ever really being a widespread currency seems highly unlikely.

I think that there is a reasonable question to be asked if bitcoin could become a currency.

The answer is no, but I don't think it is any more insane than asking if the US should go back on the gold standard.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.