Jyn's necklace (R1 spoilers...I guess)

Filthy Jawa

I don't see this discussed anywhere else, but am I alone in thinking too much was made of Jyn's kyber crystal for it not to come up again in the future? I am not in the camp of Jyn is Rey's mom, but could Jyn's crystal somehow end up powering Rey's light saber? Could be a nice connection between the films.

Jyn was blowed up. Was the crystal?

Seemed to be a bit bigger story-wise than just the totem from a lost parent to me. I've only seen the movie once, so I haven't really analyzed it, but the whole thing where Chirrut "saw" it on her...just seemed like the movie dwelled on that crystal more than it needed to for that purpose, plus it's an item that we know has greater significance in Star Wars, so.... hence my kooky theory.

The only thing story-wise I noticed was that the writers needed something to draw the secondary characters to Jyn so they can join her club. Since the blind guy gets a boner for anything force-related, he noticed the crystal, had their little conversation, and felt a good enough vibe from her to help her out. Its a little mcguffin for the blind guy and his machine-gun boyfriend, that's all.

Jinn got the crystal from her dad, but who gave it to him? His father before him. We're never expressly told who that was, but if you work it out it's definitely Gui-Gon. That will be revealed in Rogue 2 when she returns as a force ghost to mentor her surprise daughter in getting the second death stars plans to the bothans.

Qui-Gon's grand daughter+Luke=Rey

This explains how Rey gets that crystal for her new lightsaber as well. The nuclear fallout and radiation absorbed by the crystal (cuz it didn't blowed it up) is what turns the color of her blades rainbow colors. It's double bladed of course because...hello...quarterstaff training evidenced in TFA.

You know, when I was a kid, I always figured the lightsaber had a dial or something so you could change it to whatever color you wanted.

Also, I never could figure out how they turned them on or off because you never actually see them press a button, it just seems to turn on and off when its supposed to. Good job lightsabers for just knowing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.