Timeless

CoLA

Anyone watching this series? If you watched shows like Sliders or Quantum Leap, you might like this. A group of people have to keep traveling to different years in the past to prevent a guy from changing key points in history. One thing I like about the "villain" is even though he is a bad guy, he sees it as changing things for the overall good (and he may be right but that's still debatable).

Also! I like how even though the team manages to save history for the most part, when they come back things are not always exactly the same. Like, instead of John Wilkes Booth assassinating Lincoln, it was an unknown assailant. One of the characters even

loses their sister due to her not even existing anymore

LoT tends to swing between god-awful cliched story telling and decent world-building, enough that I actually stopped watching halfway through season one and only picked it up again when I found out about the Invasion cross-over, so I could be caught up on it. If Timeless doesn't trot out the old tropes and actually tells a good story, I may recommend it to my partner, she loves a good time travel story.

The writers are willing to alter history in-universe, a little anyway. That alone is refreshing. It's tiresome when a time-travel story is set in an immutable timeline and the characters can't actually do anything.

I'm not even sure the antagonist is wrong, or that the protagonists are right. Once you're able to move through time, how can some lives in the past be worth less than some lives in the "present"? Why not try to save everyone in the Hindenburg? Why not save Lincoln? I think the story may radically alter the timeline eventually. I look forward to seeing it change.

I think it would be neat if they keep altering it in ways not usually seen in movies and series. Like they go back to the present and find out someone they knew is a different age than they were before.

And I really like that they are willing to let history change, even if it isn't too drastic. I wonder if they ever will let it get changed in a major way at some point. It's hard to imagine the world being the same if they manage to erase Rittenhouses' influence from it. It could be pretty interesting since they aren't allowed to go back again to the same point.

• 1 month later...

Still loving it, too! Only one more episode left of the season, sadly, but they did extend it from the original 10 episodes it was supposed to be. I'm liking it a lot more as the team is taking more risks now and is on the run. I feel like the "going after Flynn to stop his weekly escapade" thing was going to get pretty old after a while.

And someone needs to punch Mason in the face!

I kind of saw the mother Rittenhouse connection coming, so that twist felt a bit flat to me. I wasn't surprised, anyway. Makes me wonder if her mom ever planned on letting her know about it in the original timeline, being sick and all. I almost feel like it could be part of their plan to change history. Imagine if Lucy discovered that her mother found that changing her past meant becoming well. She didn't seem too concerned about a daughter she used to have!

I wonder what the Jiya stuff is, too. Is she seeing possible futures? Alternate presents?

Also, isn't this all happening in the past? I kow they said they couldn't travel to the future, but now we know from Flynn that he met an older Lucy, so the future has already happened?

Mom surprised me. She said that Rittenhouse wouldn't let her get sick. So, I think that mom was not affiliated with Rittenhouse until Lucy started making jumps. Just like messing with the past wiped out her sister, it also changed something so that mom and Rittenhouse became affiliated.

This better get picked up for a second season, and beyond.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.