Carrie Fisher in Critical Condition

Stevil

I met Carrie super briefly around five or so years ago. She was at DragonCon in Atlanta, I went to see her and a few other actors at the Star Wars panel. This was before The Force Awakens was even a thing and she was in very much a "I don't give a f***" mode. She told a bunch of hilarious and obscene stories about everything, she was very much the firecracker everyone always says. I slipped out a little early before the panel was over and went through a back hall that I thought would be a shortcut to go meet my wife who was at something else. Carrie and her assistant came out of a back door just as I was walking by.

I was kind of flabbergasted and reverted to awkward geeky fanboy, but still somehow got out something sane along the lines of "Hi Miss Fisher, that was really funny, thanks for coming to see us." She kind of looked at me bizarrely as if she was sizing me up or something and then said something like "No sweetie, thank you for being you!" Then she was gone just as quickly.

That little exchange must have lasted about only ten seconds, but I thought about it a lot the past few days. I am so heartbroken she is gone way too soon, but at the same time I am beyond happy that the world got so many good years of such a badass hilarious woman.

Very sad news.

I hate to point this out, but Leia's fictional mother, Padre, died of a broken heart, as did Carrie Fisher's real-life mother, Debbie Reynolds. It would be poetic if it wasn't so tragic.

Huh... Guess a lot of people owe George Lucas an apology for mocking him on that one.

Not pointing at you, Poe, but for anyone thinking about replying, including myself: keep the prequel arguments elsewhere.

I just realized that no matter what Disney does to make up for Carrie's absence in IX is gonna offend millions of people.

No, it will offend tens of people who will complain loudly on the internet

I just realized that no matter what Disney does to make up for Carrie's absence in IX is gonna offend millions of people.

No, it will offend tens of people who will complain loudly on the internet

While the internet knows no bounds to being "offended" by stuff that Carrie herself would no doubt applaud, I'm pretty sure Star Wars is safe. What's to complain about if they write her out of Episode IX (or even Episode VIII) and dedicated the next movie to her? Even a quick death just after the opening scroll aided by the Tarkin treatment would be acceptable. Pretty much anything short of recasting her as a younger big-boobed blonde would be just fine.

Of course, Carrie would probably approve of THAT as well.

There'll be a guy somewhere who complains about it being dedicated to a woman, and then there will be tens of people complaining about how there's a huge movement against women and so on.

Just like everything.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.