Holiday plans!

monkeygirl

I cannot catch my breath unless I'm perfectly still. There are a few of us who are having a hard time acclimating. Plus the dry air is giving me nosebleeds. I mean, it's been a fun time and the scenery is amazing. I just wish I could breathe.

Plus, today my back is killing me, but that's from the awkward way I slept last night.

So, it turns out, Jackie's Dad died on Christmas Eve. I think that's just RUDE, but both their pain is over now. I'm thinking of a Christmas do-over this weekend.

IN other craptastic news, the vape pen I JUST bought a few weeks ago isn't working and the vape pen I bought to replace it yesterday isn't working.

*sigh*

ALSO, I found out yesterday, the PC I got my Mom two years ago is still in its box, under her bed. AND I found out she has a cell phone but she won't give me the number.

I got super sick on Christmas. Was feeling bad before that and had missed Rogue One and game night. On Christmas, though, people (my wife? Maybe my mother-in-law too?) had to help me to the car. And not any kind of fun related sick. I've been in bed for two days. And finally got fed up and drove myself to urgent care.

Sinus infection, ear infection, strep, and bronchitis. So my holiday plans are all ruined.

So, it turns out, Jackie's Dad died on Christmas Eve. I think that's just RUDE, but both their pain is over now. I'm thinking of a Christmas do-over this weekend.

ALSO, I found out yesterday, the PC I got my Mom two years ago is still in its box, under her bed. AND I found out she has a cell phone but she won't give me the number.

Sorry to hear about Jackie's dad.

And I hear you on the unopened gifts. Got my mom a Kindle Fire last Christmas because she ruined the brand-new laptop I got her with a virus. She hadn't pulled it out of the box until August when my cousin came to visit and tried to set it up for her. Got her an iPhone after years of bitching that she wanted one because I figured Siri could help her with her increasingly limited mobility. She can barely figure out how to make a phone call. Fml.

Also sorry about your cat, Driver. Going to be a sad day when we get there with Isis.

My parents have also not used;

a $100 gas card from August

an OPEN-ENDED BLANK CHECK from Merry Maids (because my Mom hasn't " had the time to CLEAN before they come"...she said this, out loud and means it)

a $150 gift certificate to Salt Rock Grill

I think they're both officially OLD

AND ALSO, my Mom has asked me to tell her how to retrieve her cellphone voicemail. She's had the phone for 2 years.

On the plus side, I got to see my kids excitement on Christmas morning, even the 14 month old.

That was entirely priceless and is better than everything else that I missed.

On the topic, how do you deal with a gift that you REALLY don't want, but someone close to you is super excited about giving it to you? Normally I'm very gracious, and I was at the time, but my MIL gave me an Amazon Echo Dot and an outlet thing that lets you turn something off and on from a smartphone.

I want to return both and get the $80 to get something I would actually use (we have tablets, my wife has a smartphone, I have an iPod touch and a couple of Bluetooth speakers, we don't need one more device to tell us the news or play music), but I know she'll be over a lot and I don't want to offend her. So I'm just stuck with a crappy present, right?

I got an echo and it's been awesome for use in the kitchen. Verbal sccess to the timer, measurement conversion, music, and podcasts is awesome when you're cooking. Maybe whoever does the cooking can use it. And the light thing is cool for when you come in with hands full of kids/groceries. You may like it more than you think. If you set it up, install the jeopardy app.

It is, but almost all of our lighting is overhead, hardwired. And we already have a speaker in the kitchen that is great for cooking and clean-up.

For a lot of people it would be an awesome gift, but we just have too many gadgets already.

My wife is now semi interested though, so I will probably keep the Dot and return the outlet thing.

fuck. You guys.

I knew 7 days with these a-holes was too much. It pretty much all exploded today. Well, it started last night when my stepmom's mother tried to throw away my sister's puzzle and our brother verbally bitch-slapped her for it. Then today she tried to undermine Trevor's parenting for apparently the 20th, and final, time. Trevor jumped her ass. My dad joined in. Then my grandmother got to unload. It was ugly and beautiful all at once. I've never liked this woman and she doesn't like me.

It is, but almost all of our lighting is overhead, hardwired. And we already have a speaker in the kitchen that is great for cooking and clean-up.

For a lot of people it would be an awesome gift, but we just have too many gadgets already.

My wife is now semi interested though, so I will probably keep the Dot and return the outlet thing.

We actually got the same thing for my father-in-law. Echo dot and smart plug. If you wanted to use it for overhead lighting, you could exchange it for a hard lined light switch that's actually pretty easy to install. Caveats: doesn't "work" on dimmer switches, and our Wemo one didn't work so we returned it, so I might recommend TP-Link at this point. We liked using it for timer lights while we were on vacation.

I actually "clean up" for the cleaning service. They're not full service maids. They clean/disinfect. So I pick up clutter, clothes on the floor, etc. I grew up in Chicago where all the cleaning ladies are Polish and they'll dust AROUND everything like it's nailed down to the surface. I hear Hispanic cleaning ladies will do anything as long as you pay them for it, so your experience may be very different. Mine are old white ladies so I try to make things easier on them when I had a young crew of 2-3 because I know it's back breaking work.

Overhead lighting makes me uncomfortable. It unnerves me and I can barely stay in a room lit that way for long. My next door neighbor has a 200 watt pure white overhead light in her living room and at night I always make sure my blinds are closed so I don't have to see it.

My parents have also not used;

a $100 gas card from August

an OPEN-ENDED BLANK CHECK from Merry Maids (because my Mom hasn't " had the time to CLEAN before they come"...she said this, out loud and means it)

a $150 gift certificate to Salt Rock Grill

I think they're both officially OLD

AND ALSO, my Mom has asked me to tell her how to retrieve her cellphone voicemail. She's had the phone for 2 years.

You can start sending me their presents instead. I will use them.

Upon further reflection, we do have a couple of lights that it would work for, but the chief oke is right inside the door we use, so it would be more work than just turning the knob.

Plus the one she got has horrible reviews, especially how it works with Alexa. So I think I'm stuck with the Dot, but not the outlet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.