Holiday plans!

monkeygirl

So, my Christmas plans are all unraveling like a big sweater that someone keeps knitting....and knitting....and knitting....

I was going to spend Saturday with Jackie, my closest friend. We've gone out for lunch on Christmas Eve for the past 26 years, looking for Santa and giving him our lists. Then, the years I wasn't married, I'd be at her house later, till all hours, festivizing. This year, her dad in Eastern WA is dying and she's off to be with him. ALSO, I was doing a "Tami's favorite things" package for all my Girl Trip GFs with a pilot pen, some face cream, a vape pen and a gourmet brownie in each but my brownies were ****ing STOLEN by MAGGOT THIEVES and I wasn't able to get the gifts out in time.

SO NOW I'm looking at charities I can help at the last minute. But I gotta say, I am SO. ****ing. SICK. of people TAKING MY PERSONAL ****!

so, what are YOU doing for the next 4-5 days and nights? DETAILS< plz.

Thursday

- Cutting out of work early, and going to my high school best friend's mom's house. Every year they do a cookiethon, baking 3000+ cookies to put in tins to give to their friends family. I started helping out when we were in high school and make it a point to get back there every Christmas time.

Friday

- Wrapping and a few last minute shopping things. I'm hopelessly behind on wrapping. I was doing so well until about a week or so ago when I stopped wrapping but kept buying. Oops.

- My high school friends and I have an annual dinner sometime around Christmas when everyone is back in town so we are going to do that then grab drinks at a local bar afterward.

Saturday

- Probably more wrapping that I put off from Friday.

- Might go to church with the girlfriend.

- Christmas Eve dinner at St. Elmo's Steakhouse. We started the tradition of going out for a nice dinner on Christmas Eve 5 or 6 years ago. Indy actually has a very good fine dining scene. It's a treat.

- Some gifts when we get back home.

- Exchange gifts with the girlfriend? We haven't really decided when we're doing this.

Sunday

- "Santa" gifts. This year my grandma and uncles are going over to my parents house instead of grandma's for lunch/dinner. At 89, my grandma just didn't feel like doing all the prep/clean up that having people over entails. But after we eat we will go over to her house for gifts and games/cards or whatever.

- RELAX.

Monday

- Thankfully have this off work. I will either shop somewhere or spend the entire day in bed. Can't wait.

We're Colorado bound tomorrow. Going to be spending a week with my stepmother's family...say a prayer for me. BUT FIRST I have to get me, my husband, a kid, an infant, and 2 elderly cripples through the airport...say a prayer for that as well. BUT EVEN BEFORE THAT I have to finish packing all of our stuff for the week...yeah, still need prayers.

Tonight:

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party

December 23:

Holiday Brunch at Grand Floridian

TBD Disney park with the in-laws

Christmas Eve:

Visiting aunt in nursing home

Christmas Eve dinner at mom's house

After-dinner gift exchange at cousins' house

Christmas:

Exchanging gifts

Christmas lunch at MY HOUSE

Seeing Rogue One at Disney Springs

Holiday stuff at Disney Springs

December 26:

TBD Disney park

December 27-28:

Work :(

December 29:

TBD Disney park

December 30:

Magic Kingdom

NYE:

Epcot

This is the first time I have hosted a big holiday gathering at my house. Hopefully I do not fuck up the turkey. If I do, my mom is bringing a ton of other food. :p

It's also the first time I'm doing Disney during the holidays. I am not looking forward to the crowds. But the in-laws are here, and they've been to Disney enough that we're not worried about seeing everything, just sucking in the atmosphere, so hopefully it won't be a total pain.

Tonight: My brother-in-law is here to make Christmas cookies. One of us will take him home and one will stay with the kids. Hoping I get to do it because I was home last night with the sick baby (she has a cold that she has generously shared with me). Later I'm going to a game night and maybe Rogue One (battling a cold so I may choose rest)

Tomorrow: nothing. Maybe finish wrapping.

Saturday: spend the day at my mother-in-law's house, see my sister-in-law and her partner who live in Michigan, so we never see them.

Sunday: Get up, do presents and breakfast, go to Mass and then head back to the MIL. Do brunch there, more presents, and then head to my wife's aunt's house for dinner.

Monday: Christmas with my family.

Day after Thanksgiving -> Now - Decorating the inside of the house (including Christmas tree). Almost every room in the house, including the basement, will have some sort of decoration in it. My wife loves Christmas. While she does that, I decorate the outside of the house. This includes icicle lights on two levels of roof, laser lights that we bought last season, wreaths, hanging lights over the garage, lights on bushes, wrapped around the railing of the front steps, deers, dog, snowmen in the yard, candy canes and little snowmen. Now, with the inside done, wife started baking her homemade Christmas cookies. Took her multiple weekends to finish. I don't know how many cookies made, but she has filled at least 12 large Tupperware bins filled multi-tiered. I took a bunch to my bowling league last night, that my wife was gracious enough to put together for me. Received some good comments on some, but there was so much food, I brought a lot of the cookies back home.

Today - Worked a full day. Just ended. Nothing much else to do. My presents are wrapped. Just have to put some stuff in my wife's stocking.

Tomorrow - 12/23 - Working, but hopefully voluntary time off offered, so I can stop early. Maybe put a couple of new deer in the yard that my sister-in-law bought for us.

Christmas Eve - Going to a friend's house in the evening. This couple really throw a wonderful Christmas Eve party. Great food, exchange gifts, sometimes games. Just a very nice evening.

Christmas - Us empty-nesters will exchange gifts. Won't take too long. My wife will probably work out after that, then she will start preparing food. Appetizers usually. My sister-in-law will come over and we will exchange gifts with her. Unfortunately, pretty boring. But, their parents passed 10 years ago, grandparents long gone, other family in Florida. My father passed over 30 years ago, my mother passed 2 1/2 years ago. All grandparents gone. Brother passed 3 years ago. Sister, step-sister and step-father all in Florida (Sorry to make this so morbid). So, really nowhere else to go. All cousins, Aunts, Uncles busy doing their own thing.

Monday, 12/26 - No work!!!! YAY! Not doing much, I don't think.

12/27, 12/28, 12/29 - Working.

12/30 - Working half day. Off at 12PM. Happy. Not sure if wife is going to want to start taking things down inside, yet.... Outside, I give until mid-January or later.

New Year's Eve - Going to another friend's house for an awesome, awesome, awesome party. Great food, drinks, champagne toast at midnight, friends - that can play - jamming in the basement. Hopefully, as I did 4 years ago, I'll get on the mic and sing a little Alice In Chains (Man in a Box), or other bands music.

New Year's Day - No work! YAY!!!

We flew to LA on Tuesday, will fly back on the evening of the 25th. We're not doing much, should probably take the kids to a movie before we lose our minds. Opening presents on Christmas Eve.

On the 27th-30th, the daycare is open so we are going to take our annual kid-free days. We have a pilot friend who has an overnight in Seattle so we'll see him, do some wine/whiskey tasting, eat at places the kids won't appreciate, go see movies (Rogue One FINALLY). We'll do New Years Day brunch with our friends because we're all lame and have kids and they can bounce off the walls together while we have mimosas and socialize. Probably take Quinn to see SING over the weekend (heard it's too long for Ethan). Don't have to go back to work until the 3rd.

Christmas won't start until next week for me. Most of my family is flying out this weekend to spend Christmas up north, including my nephew who is the only child in the family locally, so Christmas itself will pretty much just be another day. My sister and nieces will be visiting from Illinois next week though, so that's when the gift exchanges will happen and the heavy family time.

We're Colorado bound tomorrow. Going to be spending a week with my stepmother's family...say a prayer for me. BUT FIRST I have to get me, my husband, a kid, an infant, and 2 elderly cripples through the airport...say a prayer for that as well. BUT EVEN BEFORE THAT I have to finish packing all of our stuff for the week...yeah, still need prayers.

We're going to see you on the news, aren't we?

Tonight:

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party

December 23:

Holiday Brunch at Grand Floridian

TBD Disney park with the in-laws

Christmas Eve:

Visiting aunt in nursing home

Christmas Eve dinner at mom's house

After-dinner gift exchange at cousins' house

Christmas:

Exchanging gifts

Christmas lunch at MY HOUSE

Seeing Rogue One at Disney Springs

Holiday stuff at Disney Springs

December 26:

TBD Disney park

December 27-28:

Work :(

December 29:

TBD Disney park

December 30:

Magic Kingdom

NYE:

Epcot

This is the first time I have hosted a big holiday gathering at my house. Hopefully I do not **** up the turkey. If I do, my mom is bringing a ton of other food. :p

It's also the first time I'm doing Disney during the holidays. I am not looking forward to the crowds. But the in-laws are here, and they've been to Disney enough that we're not worried about seeing everything, just sucking in the atmosphere, so hopefully it won't be a total pain.

DAMN! I am exhausted just from READING all that! Disney should be so pretty for Christmas!

Hosting will go well. Turkey's just a big chicken. Your holiday table will be just gorgeous, won't it?

Last night: had a few drinks with my best bro, just the two of us at our favorite psuedo-Irish pub.

Today: I had lunch with my nephew and we watched Rogue One.

Tonight: dinner with my best bro's family and Christmas gifts for their kids.

Tomorrow: Christmas dinner with the family at my parents' house out in the sticks.

Sunday: Christmas morning and brunch with the family at my sister's house.

Monday: spend all day in my recliner (hopefully).

Tomorrow: Christmas dinner with the family at my parents' house out in the sticks.

How out in the sticks are we talking? In Nebraska, it's all relative.

They live in Iowa, out in the country about an hour's drive from my place in the west end of Omaha. It's a nice drive with lots of pretty countryside, even in the winter (except for the nocturnal suicide deer that like to test drivers' reflexes).

JEEBUZ CRIPES, Lucas! That is a buttload of doings! I'd like to see pics of the friends dinner. ALSO, what'dja get the gF?

In a complete oversight, we didn't get a picture. But here's one from a friend's wedding this Fall with the same group. Mostly high school friends with a couple spouses and fiances. I'm behind the bride. Sorry about the size.

14192633_10154509330894834_7405633432656

I got the girlfriend some scarves, which she's super into. Several "fashion scarves" and a couple actual cold weather ones. A couple cookbooks, because we enjoy cooking together a lot, but our repertoire could use some significant expanding. And a cheese-tastic Love Book. She's super sentimental and not materialistic at all (like she didn't drop a single "hint" this holiday season... she's weird!) so that will probably be her favorite. Oh and a collage picture frame with pictures of us. Fairly low-key.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.