The I've Seen Rogue One Thread (spoilers OBV)

captainbleh

The idea of a Fett movie doesn't interest me a whole lot. A Vader movie is probably a bad idea as well. Combine the two however, where Vader employs Fett to help him take down straggler Jedi might have enough decent material for a decent movie, though.

But imagine a movie that does for Fett what R1 did for Vader. Something that truly shows us the badass we always got the impression he was, but never saw.
I can appreciate that. I don't think he's a strong enough character to lead a movie, which is why I proposed a combo with Vader. It could be called "Jedi Purge" or something. That to me sounds like a story with a purpose. Watching Fett run around being a criminal seems too fan fictioney to me. Pair him up with Vader doing stuff we know had actually happened in the Star Wars lore and suddenly it feels like a Star Wars movie. Have Fett go too far and disintegrate somebody which pisses Vader off and you've checked off all the boxes.

And bring his gritty old voice and American accent back.

I don't think a movie with the bad guys as main characters will work. You can have Vader as the main bad guy but you need to have good guys as the main characters. And these good guys need a purpose outside of just trying to survive Vader. I'd like something like this:

"The First Rebellion"

Takes place a year or so after Revenge of the Sith. About half a dozen Jedi who escaped Order 66 manage to come together and try to overthrow Palpatine. They join up with some Senators, some we know and some new characters. They realize that they can't defeat the Empire militarily or politically and that their only option is to assassinate the Emperor. They begin to try to put together a plan. The Empire finds out about this plan through spies and obviously sets out to stop it. We can see Vader capturing and interrogating people, bursting into rooms saber ignited and killing all present. Despite the Empire coming closer and closer to finding who is actually behind the plot and being able to stop it, the plan is able to go forward. Finally the day of the attempt comes and comes oh so close to succeeding, however it is stopped at the last moment.

I kinda see it as Julius Caesar in space. Wouldn't have any large scale battles but lots of smaller action like the conspirators nearly being caught and narrowly escaping, that kinda thing. I'd say the finale would be in the Senate like in Julius Caesar but we've already had a fight in the Senate chambers, so maybe have the assassination attempt occur outside of the Senate at some large rally.

I dig it.

One thing that bugged me a bit about Yoda and Obi-Wan is ROTS sent them into exile immediately. Ummm why didn't you guys try again...you know...and "this time we'll do it together"? Uncharacteristically cowardly for these two. But then again I'm talking about characterization in a prequel and that's a waste of energy. Choc's treatment would help fix that problem.

I dig it.

One thing that bugged me a bit about Yoda and Obi-Wan is ROTS sent them into exile immediately. Ummm why didn't you guys try again...you know...and "this time we'll do it together"? Uncharacteristically cowardly for these two. But then again I'm talking about characterization in a prequel and that's a waste of energy. Choc's treatment would help fix that problem.

Obi Wan and Yoda could play a role but it would probably have to be secondary. I don't think I'd want Obi Wan to face Vader again prior to ANH.

One thing about Rogue One I liked and wish was explored more was the idea of what will the Rebellion be? There seem to be 3 wings to it in Rogue One. First you have the Rebellion we know from ANH which I see as represented by Organa and Mothma. These are good guys with good ideals. Next we have that middle ground represented by Cassian and that general who orders him to kill Galen. They are willing to push things further to get their goals. Then lastly you have the group lead by Saw which is even more aggressive than that.

I'd love to see the conflict between these groups explored. Like will the Rebellion stand for ideals or is it just get rid of Palpatine by any means necessary? We do see this in the background of the movie and I think in the end we see the "classic" good guy rebellion win out as evidenced by Cassian refusing to kill Galen and then finally the greatest symbol of the Rebellion from the OT, Princess Leia, coming in at the end of the movie all dressed in white as pure as the driven snow.

I kinda see it as Julius Caesar in space. Wouldn't have any large scale battles but lots of smaller action like the conspirators nearly being caught and narrowly escaping, that kinda thing. I'd say the finale would be in the Senate like in Julius Caesar but we've already had a fight in the Senate chambers, so maybe have the assassination attempt occur outside of the Senate at some large rally.

I'd like to see a story developed from Mon Mothma's line in ROTJ, "Many Bothans died to bring us this information" that's similar to the type of film you are describing here. I see it working as a spy thriller with that same toneno large scale battles, just smaller action scenes with spies, conspirators, etc. all working to get the intel for the Death Star II (or keep it from falling into the wrong hands.) We wouldn't even know who is legit and who isn't because in ROTJ the Emperor knew everything the Rebels were doing. So you have the intrigue of double agents as well.

I'd like to see a story developed from Mon Mothma's line in ROTJ, "Many Bothans died to bring us this information" that's similar to the type of film you are describing here. I see it working as a spy thriller with that same tone—no large scale battles, just smaller action scenes with spies, conspirators, etc. all working to get the intel for the Death Star II (or keep it from falling into the wrong hands.) We wouldn't even know who is legit and who is not because in ROTJ the Emperor knew everything the Rebels were doing. So you have the intrigue of double agents as well.

I realize you are maybe going for a different feel than Rogue One but wouldn't it essentially be another story about trying to get intel on a Death Star?

One thing about Rogue One I liked and wish was explored more was the idea of what will the Rebellion be? There seem to be 3 wings to it in Rogue One. First you have the Rebellion we know from ANH which I see as represented by Organa and Mothma. These are good guys with good ideals. Next we have that middle ground represented by Cassian and that general who orders him to kill Galen. They are willing to push things further to get their goals. Then lastly you have the group lead by Saw which is even more aggressive than that.

Well, Saw had already broken away from the Alliance by the beginning of the movie and they literally needed Jyn just to contact him, so he doesn't really count.

Actually, you put Mon Mothma and Bail Organa in the wrong place. At first glance, they appear to actually be moderates in the two main factions depicted in the movie, but really they're outsiders at the beginning for a Rebellion that is a bit dysfunctional.

On one side, you have the hawks represented by Draven and Cassian who have become too militaristic in their means and lost their moral compass (killing an informant in cold blood and ordering the assassination of Galen). And on the other side are the doves who, upon learning about the Death Star, ignore Jyn's testimony that a weakness could be found in the plans and veto her suggestion of sending a mission to obtain them. The doves are focused only on survival of the Alliance itself, willing to ignore an opportunity to destroy the Death Star in favor of scattering the fleet so that the organization will continue even if it means the galaxy existing in the shadow of an unstoppable doomsday weapon. Neither side really represent what the Rebellion would become.

Mon Mothma and Bail Organa are already where the rest of the Rebellion is going though. The True Alliance as it were. Everyone else gets there by the end. Jyn first, followed by Cassian and the others who followed them on the Rogue One mission. And eventually the rest of the fleet signified by Admiral Raddus rushing to join them. Though the reason for why the dove wing of the Alliance suddenly all jump in their ships to run off to fight just because they got a message that someone took the mission that they forbade a little earlier doesn't really make complete sense.

I took at it as they didn't want to engage the Empire in that way but once Jyn, Cassian and the other volunteers went and attacked the cat was out of the bag. It's not likely the Empire would be understanding that these were volunteers not actually sent by the Alliance.

One little piece of A New Hope I wish they would have addressed was how and why Palpatine gained the leverage to dissolve the Senate. And even Leia believed that the Senate still had power at the beginning of the movie. This was a small line, but it was presented as a big deal in the scene with the military commanders in shock when Tarkin tells them. And, with the Prequels, we know how big the Senate was just a few years earlier.

Since it's going to happen like tomorrow when Rogue One ends, it would have been interesting to get some insight there. Perhaps even show that Palaptine's hand was forced when a witness was found that would testify before the Senate.

I took at it as they didn't want to engage the Empire in that way but once Jyn, Cassian and the other volunteers went and attacked the cat was out of the bag. It's not likely the Empire would be understanding that these were volunteers not actually sent by the Alliance.

I'm not sure what difference that makes. It's not like the Empire was going to go soft on the Rebels. Hence why they were keen on breaking up the fleet and running away in the first place.

I think his leverage was the humungous military loyal to him, right?

Sure. But why then? It's not like it's a burning mystery that has to be resolved. In fact, it's implied in A New Hope that the Death Star itself gave Palpatine the leverage to dissolve the Senate. But it'd be nice to call back to it and give it a more definite spin. Something where they're suddenly more trouble than they're worth and the Senate is not even worth the pretense of the vestiges of democracy anymore.

I also think that Rogue One is the story of how the plans were stolen, not the story of everything going on in the Galaxy at that time.

It's all presumably interconnected. I'm just saying I would have liked for them to have given a little bit of depth there. Which is (artistically at least) why the whole movie exists, right? To give context to A New Hope.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I wish the prequels had had more extensive reshoots.

Seth is going to reshoot them in a few years.

With a new cast.

And a new script.

Since they won't actually do that, my current dream is to do an Obi-Wan trilogy, with each film taking place after one of the PT films. So sort of a do-over in the same era, but with less suck.

I SOOOO want an Obi Wan trilogy.

I suppose that could work, but I think TCW sort of makes up for the PT in that way. Thing is, it would be hard to explain how Obi Wan aged so much in between TPM and AOTC, then looks young again in AOTC, then ages again between AOTC and ROTS. I don't know if it would be affordable to de-age him with CGI.

But, I could see:

Movie 1: Just before ROTS, with Obi Wan on a solo mission

Movie 2: Shortly after ROTS

Movie 3: Just before Rogue One

I've said it before, but I would love to see why Obi Wan never went after Vader, OR maybe he did, and found Vader was too powerful for him. I know Vader is crippled, but especially after seeing Rogue One, I am a fan of the idea that Vader in the suit is actually more powerful than Anakin was in ROTS when he faced off against Obi Wan.

However they do it, if we don't at least get one more film with Ewan as Obi wan, it will be criminal!

Finally saw it. Anyone else catch Barristan the Bold as General Dodonna?

I'm assuming this is someone from Game of Thrones. I was so glad to see Dodonna on base. I wish they'd added a line about Mon Mothma leaving (although I assume that's what she was doing when the comm officer ran up to her), since she's not there during the Battle of Yavin.

Re: dissolving the Senate, I presume Palpatine heard about the destruction of Jedha and Scarif and realized he could do whatever the hell he wanted with the Senate and nobody could stop him.

Watching ANH after R1, and thinking about the events from Mon Mothma's perspective, it looks like Rogue One and the Battle of Scarif were failures. A large chunk of the Alliance fleet was destroyed, the Death Star plans didn't make it to Yavin, Leia was lost to the Empire, and Alderaan was destroyed by the Death Star. Until Leia and Artoo show up at the Rebel base, it must've seemed like all was lost.

Obi-Wan looking old: beards hide a lot and Ewan McGregor is taking the same magic pills Johnny Depp does. He's aged really well. Make up and a big AOTC beard would hide a lot.

As for the Senate-- I feel like less than a day passed between The Emperor shutting it down and Alderaan. Part of me even wonders if Tarkins line was meant to be after but the edit moved things.

A bit late to the party but...

I really enjoyed this. I liked it *so* much more than TFA, that I can't even describe it. I feel like this is the Star Wars I always wanted. TFA annoyed me so much with the inclusion of its magical multiple world destroying Death Star. I still can't get over it that of all the plot devices in the world, they went with Death Star AGAIN. ugh.

Anyways. Things I loved in this: shades of gray. The humanization of the rebels. The political intrigue. Jyn was good (not as good as Rey but that's alright) Cassian was great, and I wanted more of him. The lovely romance between Chirrut and Baze tickled me to no end. The first third did a great job of laying the groundwork for the final act. Vader was terrifying- I want to watch the movie for that scene alone, not to mention his perfectly over the top amazing lava fortress. Also- I totally cried when everyone died in the end. That literally *never* happens to me.

There were a few dumb things: mostly the climb to get to the transmission tower and the laughably horrible architecture designed solely for drama in a movie rather than any sort of maintenance sense. I was glad to see R2D2 and C3PO, but I didn't need to hear him speak and Leia's face at the end looked like a horrifying plastic mask (which is weird considering Tarkin was pretty well done!).

Anyways. This felt like the new Star Wars I've been craving. TFA felt like a long apology.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.