The I've Seen Rogue One Thread (spoilers OBV)

captainbleh

and that's all he delivered, since the young-apprentice-loses-mentor-to-dark-villain plot device did not parallel ANH as he intended.

Well, you got the parallel, so it seems to have worked as intended.

A visually interesting fight is not a bad thing. While A New Hope relied almost totally on dialogue to carry the fight (the actual duel was like a minute long), this one relied almost totally on visuals and music. It's not a bad choice and in this case it totally worked.

Its no secret the one thing Lucas harped on more than anything else during the production of TPM was about how we would see Jedi in "full flower" and not some "old man or half-trained boy versus someone who was not much of a man."

Seems to be a common method from you. Posting a quote from someone to make your point instead of referencing the actual film.

Don't reply, I won't read it

Yes you will. And if you've got a problem with me that stops you from posting in a respectful manner, keep it to yourself.

1. Well, you got the parallel, so it seems to have worked as intended.

2. Seems to be a common method from you. Posting a quote from someone to make your point instead of referencing the actual film.

3. And if you've got a problem with me that stops you from posting in a respectful manner, keep it to yourself.

1. Intent and successful execution are two very different things. TMP's duel was all flash and no substance. There was no emotional investment in any of the participants.

2. Lucas is THE source; if you care to ignore that fact of the production in favor of the jollies you got from the emotionally empty duel, then that is your choice. I would not be the first, nor the last to point out the lack of any character/emotional investment (for the audience) in that duel.

3.You would do well to take your own advice, considering what I'm quoting here.

2. Lucas is THE source; if you care to ignore that fact of the production

That Lucas wanted to show Jedi in their prime? I'm not ignoring it. It's hardly a negative. It was pretty cool to see Jedi at the height of their powers. I would have been upset if we didn't get to see them being awesome.

Posting a quote of him wanting to do it says absolutely nothing about the quality of the product.

3.You would do well to take your own advice, considering what I'm quoting here.

That statement makes no sense.

And I did post another lightsaber duel thread just to clear off this one.

The duel in ANH sucks. It's gotta great back story, but the duel itself is an old man vs a half blindfolded giant clutz.

As much as I hated TPM the duel was awesome. It certainly didn't have the backstory that the ANH did, and the way Maul went out was just stupid, but it was so much fun to watch.

When you watch the ANH duel now you have to imagine Vader as the ultimate badass in order to suspend disbelief, which is hard for a grown up to do (ironically enough) because of TPM .

When you watch ANH now after watching R1, Vader's duel against Obi Wan is a huge letdown visually.

Personally, I could not compare the ANH duel to Vader's R1 actions (in a visual or practical sense), since (in-story) it takes no effort to look good cutting down powerless humans, as opposed to carefully facing a Jedi who cannot be steamrolled in a fight.

In reality we know the reason the ANH duel looks the way it does is because Lucas was limited to what he could do in the mid-70's. The performances he got out of Prowse and Guinness for that duel were as good as he would get given what was available to him at the time. Fortunately, an artist having limits can sometimes work to his advantage, even if he doesn't realize it. Best example being Spielberg having to work around the shark in Jaws because the thing wouldn't work the way he wanted. Had Spielberg had all the money and time in the world to make Jaws the way he wanted the film probably wouldn't have been half as good.

That's the beauty of these films. As the limits to what Lucas could do were lifted by advances in filmmaking technology and financial freedom, we see how the duels changed. But in-universe we can still make sense of them when you consider the factors involved, such as how you pointed out how easy it would be for Vader to mow down a bunch of scared, powerless soldiers as opposed to facing off against a Jedi Master with decades of experience, on top of this Master being his former teacher.

I am in the minority, I think, in that I didn't like seeing Vader's Castle in R1. It felt like one of those things out of the old EU more than something from a film. But since seeing it, I wonder if there was a purpose to it other than to hand out nerd boners left, right, and centre.

Perhaps showing Vader in the bacta tank is to show us just how much physical regeneration he requires to be in tip top shape. So if he goes after Tantive IV right after R1 ends and then on to the Death Star with Leia, how much time has he spent away from home by the time he has his showdown with Obi Wan? A week? Two? Not that he has any problems with the old man, but it could help to explain why he's so stiff and clunky compared to how he looked above Scarif.

1) The CG looks as good as I've ever seen to date; but In 10 years are we going to look at Tarkin and say "ugh! That CG is soooo 2016! Too bad they didn't have the actor android technology like we do now!" Only time will tell.

I suspect in 10 years CGI will only look marginally more realistic and people will still be complaining about any little flaw that falls short of absolute perfection and compare even big budget movies unfavorably to movies that are coming out now or video games.

I am in the minority, I think, in that I didn't like seeing Vader's Castle in R1. It felt like one of those things out of the old EU more than something from a film. But since seeing it, I wonder if there was a purpose to it other than to hand out nerd boners left, right, and centre.

I knew there was a reason I liked it. Hahaha!

As an old canonist who has embraced and integrated Rogue One into my personal canon, this is one of the many things that sits well with me and seems plausible. He has a castle on Vjun (which would have been sweet had they used that one) and another on Coruscant, that I know of. It kind of fits his new persona to have a dwelling on the world where Darth Vader was "born." This is one of the few things that Vader holds dear.

In contrast, he avoids Tatooine like the plague.

Light-Sith told me this before I saw it, and he was right: Rogue One feels very much like an EU novel. For this reason I consider it C-canon, like the live-action Ewoks movies only not terrible. I still say there are only six G-canon films.

But, you know, that's just me.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Rumors say the castle was established here cause Kylo visits its ruins in E8.

It's a good thing they are doing something new and unique, and not using some EU idea.

I knew there was a reason I liked it. Hahaha!

As an old canonist who has embraced and integrated Rogue One into my personal canon, this is one of the many things that sits well with me and seems plausible. He has a castle on Vjun (which would have been sweet had they used that one) and another on Coruscant, that I know of. It kind of fits his new persona to have a dwelling on the world where Darth Vader was "born." This is one of the few things that Vader holds dear.

In contrast, he avoids Tatooine like the plague.

Light-Sith told me this before I saw it, and he was right: Rogue One feels very much like an EU novel. For this reason I consider it C-canon, like the live-action Ewoks movies only not terrible. I still say there are only six G-canon films.

But, you know, that's just me.

I don't know anything about C canon or G canon. Only canon in Star Wars that matters is the ION Cannon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.