The I've Seen Rogue One Thread (spoilers OBV)

captainbleh

As for event/non event, I wouldn't be so fast to dismiss the power of Star Wars. I think both TFA and Rogue One did about as well as you'd ever expect them to do at the box office. Releasing the movies once a year around the same time could play into helping the movies out. It becomes like a tradition. People don't get tired of the Super Bowl or Christmas, why not Star Wars?

Thank you, Driver, for saying everything I wanted to say.

I will add: Disney does not make decisions about Lucasfilm. George picked Kathleen Kennedy to succeed him. George decided to sell to Disney because he knew the franchise was in good hands and Disney would be hands off. Kennedy hired Abrams, Rian Johnson, Gareth Edwards, etc etc, not to mention Kiri Hart and other creative executives on the Story Group. Pretty much every executive was there before the sale.

No question on that - and as Driver said, Disney will maintain a professional hands off approach because they know it is what works and what gets them the cash. But at the same time, I'd say the point myself and possibly Jawa are getting at that if Disney want to pull their weight, they can. At the end of the day they still have final say. I don't think they will but it wouldn't be a shock if at some point a Disney executive starts forcing some decisions.

"Still, Iger wanted to make sure that Lucas, who was used to controlling every aspect of Star Wars, from set design to lunchboxes, understood that Disney, not Lucasfilm, would have final say over any future movies. “We needed to have an understanding that if we acquire the company, despite tons of collegial conversations and collaboration, at the end of the day, we have to be the ones who sign off on whatever the plans are,” says Alan Horn, chairman of Walt Disney Studios."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2013-03-07/how-disney-bought-lucasfilm-and-its-plans-for-star-wars

Aside to all that, I really don't understand the hate at all for Kathleen. I don't even understand why EU lovers would hate her - Lucas essentially canned the EU when he came up with the treatments and pitches for new movies. Correct me if I'm wrong but he did this before Kathleen ever came aboard. Honestly hating Kathleen is ridiculous considering how much she has done for the franchise in such a small amount of time.

In fact, while I'm against another Indiana Jones movie, I'm not too worried about it either since I know it'll be in safe hands if she is looking after it. (I don't actually know, where her & Marshall involved in Indy 4?)

They were, but Lucas essentially became the director in post and was incredibly involved in ruining the script before they went ahead with shooting. Spelberg, Marshall and Kennedy ran the shoot, but beyond that it was a Lucas prequel-style shit show.

I think there's something to be said about the way Hollywood works now compared to the time period the OT was released. Back then most films were made, released and everyone moved on afterward. It was rare for a film to be made with the intention of being the start of a "tentpole franchise." Talk to the creators of every successful film and they'll tell you they never intended for there to be one sequel, much less having their creation turned into a franchise that spawned upmteen sequels. Terminator, Back to the Future, Jaws, even the low budget films like Halloween and Friday the 13th. Carpenter hated that Michael Myers was turned into a franchise and Victor Miller could not understand how they made all those Friday sequels when he wrote his movie with Jason being dead the whole time. So in those days, a SW film was a huge event because it was the rare sequel that had been planned from the start and had enough story to extend through three films. Today, it's rare when studios greenlight a film that is not intended to be one of many.

Kathleen Kennedy has my vote. I hate the EU. It's made for nitpicky nerds. Kathleen Kennedy believes the movies are the only canon, which is what I believe. She is here to.satisfy.our need to know what really happens to our heroes post-ROTJ, and that is fine with.me. and if you dont like this country then you can get the hell out!

Really? She believes the movies are the only canon? Is that why she essentially started another EU, without calling it an EU?

Man, anti-EU people sure are funny to listen to.

She didn't. George essentially did when he developed story treatments and new films and selling to Disney. Kathleen just saw that transition through and developed a new one under that direction. Any "Legends canoist" or whatever want to call yourselves are essentially trying to spin some weird twisted narrative that she came in and tore the franchise apart when what she actually did was just make sure the transition was smooth and they made some quality Star Wars movies (sure you might not think they are, but it was the intention regardless).

What do you guys actually thought happened? Lucas approached Disney, Disney were going to keep the EU and then Kathleen turned around and convinced them to scrap it? If you want to get angry, get angry with Lucas who not only gave you everything you loved but apparently took it all away as well.

Every time I see your name I want to follow it up with "Trix are for kids!"

Anyway, I do not hate Kathleen Kennedy as I do not hate anybody. I was mainly just trolling with the Antichrist comment. Funny that Mara thought I actually believed she was the biblically prophesied world ruler.

And it's old canonist. The name itself is an in-joke referring to the Old Calendarists within Eastern Orthodoxy. And believe me, I do blame George Lucas for quite a bit.

The interesting this, I never grumbled against him until he started messing things up with The Clone Wars. Despite the prequels' shortcomings and his tinkering with the original Trilogy (some of which I didn't mind), I stood by the guy (figuratively) while everyone else hounded him, even though the some of the things he was doing disturbed me greatly. I defended his honor in the face of all the hostility, whether he deserved it or not.

I finally lost it when his new mediocre kids' show took a dump on everything I loved. Even then--even now--he is still one of my most respected people on Earth. He gave me the franchise I love. He built the sandbox for others to play in, and for many to do a better job than he did.

I just watched an episode where a group of "younglings" (including a Jedi Wookiee, natch) were taken to see a droid homage to the Harry Potter wand guy. This supposedly-ancient droid had given every Jedi their lightsaber (sans crystal) and even did a little doddering routine like the Harry Potter guy - I forget his name but John Hurt (R.I.P.) played him in the movies.

I'm sure there are worse examples, but that was horrible even for me, a guy who has never read a single SW novel or comic book.

So now, just because some cartoon writer wanted to pay tribute to another series in a light-hearted way, that's canon? That's how the Jedi get their lightsabers?

Canon, shmanon.

As I recall the 'droid did not just give the kids their sabers. He had parts and provided guidance for safely assembling them. The very idea of kids building high-energy plasma blades unsupervised hardly seems plausible.

Why should Jedi assemble their own weapons, anyway? Did knights of old forge their own swords?

Lightsabers are.supposed to be very personal, I think. You choose the crystal, you place it. The handle has to.Be comfortable for you. It has to fit like a glove. The Jedis personality goes into it like a piece of art. Rey got drawn to the lightsaber because it was Luke's, not any other lightsaber. Now my wager is all this talk of us learning more about Luke in TLJ might explain why Rey was drawn to him. Some people say it's because they're related. I hope that's not true.

I just watched an episode where a group of "younglings" (including a Jedi Wookiee, natch) were taken to see a droid homage to the Harry Potter wand guy. This supposedly-ancient droid had given every Jedi their lightsaber (sans crystal) and even did a little doddering routine like the Harry Potter guy - I forget his name but John Hurt (R.I.P.) played him in the movies.

I'm sure there are worse examples, but that was horrible even for me, a guy who has never read a single SW novel or comic book.

So now, just because some cartoon writer wanted to pay tribute to another series in a light-hearted way, that's canon? That's how the Jedi get their lightsabers?

If it's who I'm thinking of, the droid was voiced by David Tennant.

That is indeed canon, but in an only ambiguous way because the Force & Destiny RPG rule book coyly hinted that Filoni's cartoon is simply a series of Imperial propaganda holovids produced by the Commission for the Preservation of the New Order (COMPNOR). They contain kernels of truth but are heavily distorted, thus explaining away all of the inconsistencies between The Clone Wars cartoon and previously-established lore. Therefore, the ancient Jedi droid may be based on something true, but is probably not from the beginning of the Jedi Order, supplying lightsabers to every single Jedi. The Order is 25,000 years old, and lightsabers have only be a staple of the Order for around 10,000 years.

So yeah, most likely an exaggeration. It fits. Works for me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.