The I've Seen Rogue One Thread (spoilers OBV)

captainbleh

It's "at-at". It's not as if NASA is "en-ay-ess-ay". Acronyms that spell words should be pronounced as those words! Otherwise why name it the Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division, just to call it "ess-aitch-eye-ee-ell-dee"? :)

But then how would you say AT-ST? "At-ess-tee?"

It's "at-at". It's not as if NASA is "en-ay-ess-ay". Acronyms that spell words should be pronounced as those words! Otherwise why name it the Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division, just to call it "ess-aitch-eye-ee-ell-dee"? :)

But then how would you say AT-ST? "At-ess-tee?"
"At-saint". Or maybe "at-street". Obvs.

Seriously, though, if the all-terrain scout transport didn't exist, how would you pronounce AT-AT?

Can't pronounce "st" unless you want to say "sit", "street", or "saint", so no. The consistency is within the acronym itself; I don't think it needs to be consistent across the vehicle types. If the chicken walker didn't exist, or was called something like All Terrain Exploration Transport, wouldn't it be "at-et"?

Meh. I'm not sure what else there is to talk about. R1 is out and done, TFA is out and done, and TLJ is keeping its secrets almost as closely as TFA, maybe moreso. I've gathered as much as I can about the plot of the film, but keep it to myself so I don't "spoil" it for anyone else. So why not discuss this pendantic stuff? Besides, no one has said what they'd call the AT-AT if the AT-ST didn't exist, or wasn't named so.

Were they always? I thought they were added later. With all the different editions, all these movies are become like a fuzzy, half-remembered dream.

If I were putting money on it though, I think they were added later. I remember them being a new-toy revelation in RotJ.

When I saw the AT-AT in ROTJ I was stoked. With memories of ESB I couldn't wait to see what they did on Endor. Too bad we didn't get to see them in action. Though in hindsight seeing how effective they had been against the firepower the Rebels threw at them on Hoth it's hard to see how they would've overcome them on Endor.

I always called them imperial walkers because that's what the movie called them. I'm not sure where Scout Walker even came from, but that's what I called the little two-legged ones. And yes, they were in the original cut of ESB for a single shot. As a kid I loved how fast they moved in ESB...better watch out rebels!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.