The I've Seen Rogue One Thread (spoilers OBV)

captainbleh

Guest El Chalupacabra

Chirrut isn't Force sensitive though. He's just a believer.

He may not be Force sensitive, but I think the Force was guiding him to an extent, and his belief in the Force was the reason why.

Sort of like in ANH when Obi Wan smirks and seems to be laughing to himself when Han Solo boasts that the Force doesn't guide his destiny. Maybe Obi Wan foresaw that it would?

I 100% couldn't disagree with you more than I do about Red and Gold leader. It reminds me of a baseball 1 game playoff in 1999, the Mets against the Reds. The winner advanced to the playoffs. The Mets used their best pitcher Al Leiter, which was an obvious decision. However my friend said they should hold him in order to save him for Game 1 of the potential next series. You have to get to that series first. You don't hold guys back. It makes no sense.

I also couldn't disagree more about Tarkin and Leia, I thought both were awesome.

Or he's spouting scripture. I know a lot of people who love to quote the Bible and speak as if they are an expert on God and yet never attended a seminary or wore the cloth or collar.

Possibly but that line seemed too specific to be scripture. Then he was also able to pick Jyn out in a crowd through a necklace she had tucked away. He has some sensitivity to it at least.

i actually think it woulda been cool to have a little arc for him where he is trying to use the Force all movie but can't. His buddy laughs and calls him a dreamer. Could play it partly for comedy, partly dramatic. Then at the end he uses The Force to throw the master switch.

I'm not sure how well this movie will age over time.

1) The CG looks as good as I've ever seen to date; but In 10 years are we going to look at Tarkin and say "ugh! That CG is soooo 2016! Too bad they didn't have the actor android technology like we do now!" Only time will tell.

2) For a stand-alone film, it doesn't stand alone. This movie is like DLC for ANH. It NEEDS a new hope for it to make sense. Otherwise the ending is like..."wtf? All this and they don't blow up the death star? They are going to come back and do it later i guess? What an unsatisfying ending!" So, why not just watch ANH instead?

3) most people agree the characters are disposable and fairly blah. That doesn't do well for making me want to see them again and again. I don't see myself popping this movie into my blue ray player as often as I might ANH, ESB, ROTJ, or TFA. I'd rather watch Luke, Han...Leia (rip) or Rey, Finn, Poe each do their thing and succeed, rather than I would Jyn, Kassian, K2 and the Asian couple get blown away. It hurts the replay value for me a little bit.

I think Disney is gonna be like GL on crack and update the CGI every seven years when it comes out the ****ing Disney vault, so I wouldn't worry about Leia and Tarkin. I'd worry about the updated ANH battle with Obi-wan doing backflips ruining your childhoods.

I also wouldnt worry about Chirrut. If he woulda used the force before dying y'all woulda had a field day. Y'all woulda lost your shiiiiit!

I agree with that. Adywan was sort of going in that direction by adding "The Battle of Heroes" to that scene. Now we just need two stuntmen dressed as Vader and Obi-Wan to re-record portions of the fight. And it would make sense considering their dual on Mustafar, and now they're just pussyfooting around. You can blame age, but look at Yoda, Dooku, and Palpatine. Apparently immersing one's self in the Force is enough to take a short break from achy bones and muscles.

Regarding 3PO and R2's cameo: It would have made much more sense, and felt more natural, for that to have occurred aboard the Tantive IV.

[Edit] Okay, why is there a word sensor on "T h r e e p i o" and "A r t o o," auto-correcting them to "3PO" and "R2"? That's freaking stupid, guys.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Funny enough, Obi-Wan doing backflips is one of the only additions ANH could use in my opinion. And I'm all about my childhood being ruined.

So says the PT hater. LOL! Unless you are being flip, I never thought I would ever see you say something like that.

I actually like the ANH duel because it isn't flashy and I think it ages better. One of my personal complaints about the PT is how over the top some of the duels were, namely Anakin VS Obi Wan in ROTS.

And bringing it back to Rogue One, that is why I think the Vader scene was perfect. Those few seconds of badassness are enough to establish Vader's skill, without being overly flashy. It was far more animated than the ANH duel by a factor of, I don't know, a lot, but Vader's vibe of being controlled and efficient are still there.

Imagine C-3PO in ESB, RotJ, TFA, or any of the Prequels having the presence of mind to lock himself in the closet and call for help, to sell himself to Uncle Owen, or hit R2-D2 in anger and insult him. It just wouldn't have happened. The C-3PO of A New Hope is unique and, sadly, we'll never get him back because I rather prefer him over the useless C-3PO that replaced him.

Yes!!! Why did 3PO get ruined? I never fully realized this, but you are 100% right. He's like Han in RotJ.

Funny enough, Obi-Wan doing backflips is one of the only additions ANH could use in my opinion. And I'm all about my childhood being ruined.

So says the PT hater. LOL! Unless you are being flip, I never thought I would ever see you say something like that.

I actually like the ANH duel because it isn't flashy and I think it ages better. One of my personal complaints about the PT is how over the top some of the duels were, namely Anakin VS Obi Wan in ROTS.

/quote]

I don't need full on PT level duels. While they are fun, they seem overly choreographed. I'd be happy with the ANH duel being even on par with ESB or ROTJ. The lack of any Force abilities makes it stand out. TFA was able to have them and modern choreography without going over the top.

doesn't fit Obi Wan's personality to just sit around and do nothing for 20 years. I dislike how some fans think that Obi Wan is locked into just sitting on Tatooine the whole time. Yes, Obi Wan was in hiding, and yes, he was watching over Luke, but he doesn't have to be on Tatooine the entire time, either. There is nothing in canon that states Obi Wan stayed in his sand igloo for 20 years and picked his nose and played space invaders, in between stalking Luke when Uncle Owen wasn't looking.

I think it fits well with Old Obi-Wan's personality. I like the idea that he spent 20 years in a sand igloo thinking about everything he did wrong and meditating and learning how to become one with The Force (which surprises the hell out of Vader). Plus he's hoping to begin Luke's training, but his uncle wouldn't allow it. To me that's a more fitting part of the story than Obi-Wan having more excitement and adventure. A (mature) Jedi craves not these things.

doesn't fit Obi Wan's personality to just sit around and do nothing for 20 years. I dislike how some fans think that Obi Wan is locked into just sitting on Tatooine the whole time. Yes, Obi Wan was in hiding, and yes, he was watching over Luke, but he doesn't have to be on Tatooine the entire time, either. There is nothing in canon that states Obi Wan stayed in his sand igloo for 20 years and picked his nose and played space invaders, in between stalking Luke when Uncle Owen wasn't looking.

I think it fits well with Old Obi-Wan's personality. I like the idea that he spent 20 years in a sand igloo thinking about everything he did wrong and meditating and learning how to become one with The Force (which surprises the hell out of Vader). Plus he's hoping to begin Luke's training, but his uncle wouldn't allow it. To me that's a more fitting part of the story than Obi-Wan having more excitement and adventure. A (mature) Jedi craves not these things.

Nailed it. :thumbsup:

TFA was able to have them and modern choreography without going over the top.

Can't say I like that example. ESB and RotJ had great storytelling behind their duels that have kept them modern even if the stunt work is from the 80s. The Prequels had great bombast and flare, and still generally managed to tell their stories well (particularly in The Phantom Menace). They were all fun to watch.

TFA... well they made good on their promise not to be the Prequels. Uninteresting choreography, uninteresting color schemes, bad choices in storytelling. It was all just so bland and disappointing. At least A New Hope managed to be something completely new and both began and ended memorably.

What makes the ANH duel worthy was the characterization and dialogue, and how it fit into the context of the great story already being told around it. It felt necessary, and not just the "lightsaber scene that just HAS to happen now". It was fun to watch, but not for the same reason the TPM duel was fun to watch...most of it. TPM duel telling the story though? My ass. AOTC duel? My ass AND my balls. I'll give you ROTS, even though in MY opinion the opening duel is better than the grande finale.

TPM duel telling the story though? My ass.

I'm afraid your ass has forgotten how well done it was. As a fight, its progression from beginning to end is unparalleled in Star Wars for its storytelling. The only major issue with it was that the ending was a little weak. This was a duel that went through multiple distinct phases and showed each of the three characters' personalities in how they handled the fight. And with only a single line of dialogue spoken through the whole thing ("Nooooo!"). The whole thing was done in visuals and music with the simplistic feel that I enjoyed about The Phantom Menace. It's very much a classic George Lucas sequence, and one of his best.

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes."

Since it's your opinions isn't it by definition neither of you are right nor wrong?

Regarding 3PO and R2's cameo: It would have made much more sense, and felt more natural, for that to have occurred aboard the Tantive IV.

Yes, have them standing in the background when Antilles hands the plans to Leia. Or maybe on the Yavin base when Bail Organa and Mon Mothma talk about contacting Obi Wan and then Bail walks into that room as he says he'd trust her [Leia] with his life, they could've been standing in the background in that room.

By the way, on your previous comment about establishing other Force users in canon besides Jedi and Sith, you can always pick out easily who is not a SW fan and just a general moviegoer when they refer to Kylo Ren as a Sith.

What makes the ANH duel worthy was the characterization and dialogue, and how it fit into the context of the great story already being told around it. It felt necessary, and not just the "lightsaber scene that just HAS to happen now". It was fun to watch, but not for the same reason the TPM duel was fun to watch...most of it. TPM duel telling the story though? My ass. AOTC duel? My ass AND my balls. I'll give you ROTS, even though in MY opinion the opening duel is better than the grande finale.

Right on target. Its no secret the one thing Lucas harped on more than anything else during the production of TPM was about how we would see Jedi in "full flower" and not some "old man or half-trained boy versus someone who was not much of a man." In his mischaracterization of his older creation to support the then-new, he focused on being able to show the "flash and wow" of a lightsaber duel, and that's all he delivered, since the young-apprentice-loses-mentor-to-dark-villain plot device did not parallel ANH as he intended.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.