The I've Seen Rogue One Thread (spoilers OBV)

captainbleh

I didn't pick up on any Jyn/Cassian vibes. They embraced at the end because they were about to die. I'd even hug Pong in that situation

Well, maybe not Pong.

The closest thing to sexual tension was the "I'm not used to people sticking around when things go bad," "welcome home" sequence at the rebel base. And that was damn brief, and the purpose wasn't to set up a romance but rather a tone.

I'd say having them kiss or call each other husband is shoving it down our throats. They established Sulu was in a same sex relationship in Star Trek without doing those things.

Were they shoving Han and Leia down our throat? Cause they kissed.

This is the root problem with diversity arguments. The only agenda is equal response. If a straight couple and a gay couple in a movie do the exact same things, the overwhelming argument is the gay scenario is an agenda or something being fed to us.

Asking for equality just means that when the general public sees a gay couple they have the same non reaction as they would to a straight couple.

Obviously we have a long way to go.

Actually I was saying they didn't need to make it that obvious to plant a sign on the floor and say "look it's gay people".

Pretty similar to how Jyn and Cassian didn't have to kiss at the end to intimate that they may have feelings for each other.

I have gay friends and I'm pro-gay in my own way. But I don't think that Star Wars is the right place to satisfy Mara's fetishes.

Do we need to remind you where you work again T?? Where I work people of all sexual orientations are treated equally and they get paid the same and they also get to do the big jobs.

You might need a ladder to dismount mi amigo

Ah-- see I thought you didn't like gay people. Turns out, you just hate love period!

I dunno if it's the bit that Stevil is referring to but there is a shot when they are on the elevator going back down to the surface just before the Death Star fires where they give each other a longing look. Maybe it wasn't meant to play that way but I got the same vibe.

Yeah, during that scene on the elevator I thought they were going to kiss too. I'm glad they didn't. Not sure why but I felt this film was better off without any type of love story.

Nice one Wader and LDH :)

The elevator scene was the one for me.

I do like Love. In fact I'm all for romance. I just didn't see it between those two in the space married sense. They felt like brothers to me. I know I tease Mara but I didn't get that vibe all through the movie. To have them kiss at the end would be all WTF!! If they did include LGBT vibes in the next film I'd be all for it. I'd just hate for it to be lumped in there or feel forced. It would be nice to have Gay actors play Gay people too but it's not totally necessary.

I should remind you about our conversation about Tig and Venus as well. Still one of my favourite love stories :)

I've seen it twice now and I still can't remember any of the characters names. I still got all weepy when K2 holds the line. The blind Chinese guy and his boyfriend dying all "one with the force-like" made me well up a bit. Felicity Jones and kassian dying did nothing for me again. Couldn't care less. Especially when he opens his damn eyes at the last second. The first half bored me a bit, and I was able to follow the planet hopping a bit better, but the Forrest Whittaker stuff still sucked. The second half stil more than makes up for it. I originally said it was better than TFA, and I still feel that way NOW, but I think I'm going to enjoy TFA's characters and storyline more after some time.

It's not fair to compare Felicity Jones's performance with Daisy Ridley's, but Daisy did such a great job and Felicity...meh.

I saw it again last night and was able to take more in. I had to go to the toilet part way through (when they where at Eadu) and I'm wondering, does it show them stealing the Imperial ship, or does it just cut to them having it ?

The cargo shuttle just appears and guns down the troopers chasing Cassian and Jyn, we don't see K2 or Bodhi actually stealing it, just Bodhi running off when Cassian tells him to bugger off.

It's not fair to compare Felicity Jones's performance with Daisy Ridley's, but Daisy did such a great job and Felicity...meh.

Really? I thought Daisy's performance was far too over the top and enthusiastic, whereas Felicity's performance was just right for the tone of the movie. It's called Star Wars, not Star Squee, and the whole tone of TFA, and Daisy's performance in it, annoyed the hell out of me.

Yeah, of the two actresses one is Oscar nominated, the other had a guest spot in 'Holby City' or something similar, it's clear to tell which one is which.

I couldn't stand Daisy Ridley with her constipated over the top facial expressions, she has all the presence of someone who just came out of stage school. I'm not saying Felicity was brilliant either, but her performance was believable, which helps all the more to make you believe in the character.

Jones > Ridley

Rey > Jyn

Daisy Ridley gave them exactly what they wanted for Rey. Was she a great actress? Hell no. If you want to be nit-picky, you can tear her performance apart no problem. But for the character and the tone they were trying to achieve, she was the right actress and Rey was easily the biggest bright spot for The Force Awakens. Whether she can continue to be a highlight once the role actually turns serious is an open question.

Felicity Jones is a solid professional actress and, after one movie, Jyn was actually a deeper, more complex character. But nothing about her really stood as memorable. Instead of popping out like Rey did, Jyn bled a bit more into the background. Ironically, Jones's competence makes her less appealing for the type of movie that Star Wars is in general. But it's actually good for the film itself as her she carries the actual movie rather well.

To go back to the Prequels, it's like Natalie Portman cast as Amidala. She's a perfectly solid actress and did good for The Phantom Menace, but a large part of me wishes that her doppleganger Keira Knightly had replaced her in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. Portman's arguably a better actress, but while Knightly is certainly a fine actress herself, she's got a better sense of genre fun like she showed in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. You can look at the Thor movies to see that Portman just doesn't belong in these types of roles at all. Knightly would have sold the love scenes better and wouldn't have completely tanked Revenge of the Sith like Portman did.

Jones obviously did her best, unlike Portman, but her portrayal and the character herself weren't quite as vivid as Rey.

Nothing about felicity's performance was particularly memorable to me. Hey! Remember the time when she did [blank]? I can't fill in that blank at all. As far as Jyn the character goes: The empire destroyed her family as a child, raised by a war vet and and became a soldier. Then she was in jail. Her love for her father propelled her character and somehow caused a 180 in her willingness to help the alliance and make the ultimate sacrifice. For all that characterization, I feel nothing for her. Her performance was adequate at best to me. I didn't buy the fact she's supposed to be tough and I didn't care when she died. I didn't buy the fact she was the alliance's mocking jay and rallied the suicide mission...part of that is due to the fact her and the rebels don't spend enough time together to show any kind of trust, and part of that is because Felicity Jones is not Jennifer Lawrence.

Daisy on the other hand...I loved Rey. You could say her character may have been underwritten and I won't argue, but Daisy was so fricking charming I really don't care. If Rey and Jyn were in an arena death match that blocked force power, I feel Rey would slam dunk Jyn. The way their characters are written, I probably shouldn't feel that way.

I'm very late to the party, having just seen it yesterday, but I'll simply say that it's a flawed film that totally redeems itself in the last half hour.

I agree with others that the music sucked, that Saw was over the top, no opening crawl was weird, and that Vader's first scene was oddly dissapointing (not only was JEJ's voice off, the guy in the suit wasn't big enough- somewhere David Prowse is laughing), but it was worth it to see that finale. As awesome as the space battle was, though, I can't get that Vader scene out of my head. It took 39 years and 8 movies to do it, but finally we got to see Vader at his worst/best tearing into Rebel Scum like Rosie Odonnell at a Chinese buffet.

It reminded me of how awesome it was to see Hannibal Lector show his stuff when he escaped captivity in Silence. Prior to that he was just an ominous presence, but when he pulled off that escape you got to see what a badass he was.

I know we're going to get a Han Solo movie soon, but I want more movies that take place between 3 and 4. Give me more Obi Wan, more Boba Fett, more Bail (as Driver said, how cool was it to see him redeem the character?), even a little Yoda. I'd even love for them to bring back Jar Jar (just to kill him off, of course). And I hope they work a Vader cameo into ALL of them.

One thing I will say is that I'm surprised people were down on CGI Tarkin and Leia. I thought they were perfect.

Let's just hope we don't need CGI Leia in ep 9.

That's what like so much about about R1. It honestly fills the gap.we get to see the death Star at work in a more detailed way, and to me it builds up the destruction of Alderaan perfectly. I'm someone who truly believes all the films should be embraced (and no EU) and this movie really takes care of this looming disconnect between the PT and OT. As of now there are.more modern SW films than classic c SW film. So the eyes can accept the OT better since they saw the same characters in more modern films. I even find that R1 helps the ST too. All that build up to starkiller base.

Because you see, the landscape of SW has changed. We first hear about the death Star in AOTC and it continues til ROTJ. Add Starkiller in TFA and now it's a doc about historical scientific achievement. Same with the personal Skywalker family storyline. SW has shown its own history with these new episodes. So now the.OT is about how.it fits in this history and it's.no longer about how the new SW films fit in The OTs history.

One thing that bugged me a bit about Yoda and Obi-Wan is ROTS sent them into exile immediately. Ummm why didn't you guys try again...you know...and "this time we'll do it together"?

This is why Rebels is screwing things up for Yoda and Kenobi's characterization and it's gotten to the point where there's no way around it. You have the two most powerful Jedi in the galaxy hiding out because of how dangerous it is for Jedi to expose themselves after the purge. Yet Kanan and Ezra are running around lightsabers blazing, causing havoc and mayhem embarrassing the Imperials, killing Inquistors and even facing off against Vader a few times, escaping him and making him look a fool.

There was that one episode where Ezra mind-tricked an AT-ST driver to turn his walker against the stormtroopers, killing everyone that had them pinned down and then having the walker just go off the ledge. Well shoot, if this chump kid who is just learning how to be a Jedi is doing this, Yoda and Obi Wan could've sat in meditation on Hoth and just turned all the AT-AT's against each other. Battle over. Vader never gets to land and enter the base. But even if he did, Yoda and Obi Wan together, along with a trained Luke since they would've been with him all this time...again battle over.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.