The I've Seen Rogue One Thread (spoilers OBV)

captainbleh

No reason to believe they couldn't have been a couple. Why not? It's the friendship that really matters, and whatever they were, you could tell it goes way back.

Was that Brom from game of thrones in there as well? When the star destroyer was pushed into the other one, an imperial officer yells "brace for impact" or something like that. It looked just like Brom.

I shouldn't have to preface this statement by saying I'm not homophobic nor do I oppose the depiction of homosexual relationships and/or marriages in Star Wars, or any other story, but I do have to, because some people on here may decide that disagreeing with them is the same as being anti-homosexual relationships - but just because two men are depicted as having a close emotional relationship does not mean they're automatically sexual partners. There are degrees of closeness in-between acquaintances and sexual partners. If two women were playing the roles of Chirrut and Baze (and why couldn't they have been female?), would it be logical to assume they're sexual partners?

Does "space married" mean sexual partners, though?

I shouldn't have to preface this statement by saying I'm not homophobic nor do I oppose the depiction of homosexual relationships and/or marriages in Star Wars, or any other story, but I do have to, because some people on here may decide that disagreeing with them is the same as being anti-homosexual relationships - but just because two men are depicted as having a close emotional relationship does not mean they're automatically sexual partners. There are degrees of closeness in-between acquaintances and sexual partners. If two women were playing the roles of Chirrut and Baze (and why couldn't they have been female?), would it be logical to assume they're sexual partners?

Does "space married" mean sexual partners, though?

It's more about challenging what is considered normal. There's nothing to imply they AREN'T a couple, so why do we say something is being forced if one thinks they are?

Guest El Chalupacabra

Obi-Wan looking old: beards hide a lot and Ewan McGregor is taking the same magic pills Johnny Depp does. He's aged really well. Make up and a big AOTC beard would hide a lot.

As for the Senate-- I feel like less than a day passed between The Emperor shutting it down and Alderaan. Part of me even wonders if Tarkins line was meant to be after but the edit moved things.

Yeah, it MIGHT work, if the make up is good enough. Hell, probably more than maybe. These days, they probably could pull it off no problem. I personally like your idea, and I would be down for ANY Obi Wan movie. I don't hate the clone wars era either, so don't get me wrong.

Episode 3.5: I am sure a lot of people want to see what happened to Obi Wan after the jedi purge. But, apology to the fans for the PT aside, do you think there is much demand for an episode 1.5 and 2.5? I think between the films, TCW, the bazillion EU books, video games, and whatever, that era has been sufficiently explored. I mean really, Pre-Disney Lucasfilm beat it to death as it was.

As for the Senate-- I feel like less than a day passed between The Emperor shutting it down and Alderaan. Part of me even wonders if Tarkins line was meant to be after but the edit moved things.

Did a quick look at old scripts (4th draft) and the novelization, and it looks like the scene actually got moved back. It was originally supposed to come right after R2-D2 was taken by the Jawas, but got replaced by the "Look, sir... droids" scene.

The scene that it ended up following was the scene between Obi-Wan and Luke where Luke views Leia's message, gets the lightsaber, but chooses to go home instead of Alderaan. The scene where Vader interrogates Leia was originally supposed to be in that slot.

So, Tarkin announcing the end of the Senate was originally supposed to happen a day earlier.

The emperor dissolving the Senate actually makes more sense after seeing R1.

Given R1 leads right into Anh, the events of both movies are all one story arc.

From the empire's perspective, the death star was being constructed in a remote location. It was tested with 1/5th firing power, then the hyperspace travel was tested, and Tarkin fired it again. At this point Tarkin reports to the emperor that the rebels stole the plans, they are more powerful than they realized, and the death star is fully functional. Emperor then orders them to recapture the plans, as the fully functional death star is the only thing he needs to maintain order by fear, throughout the galaxy. At that point he no longer needs the Senate to keep systems under control, so he dissolves it.

Makes sense and fits in with the dialog from both movies.

I liked R1 not for the movie itself but for what it adds to ANH and the story as a whole.

In reality Lucas in 1977 never anticipated making prequels. The bit about dissolving the Senate wasn't meant to fit any plot point or timing perfectly. Was just a quick line to show that the Emperor was taking away democracy.

But since we did have the prequels, it was useful for R1 to bridge the gap and put ANH back into context

I also don't think Chirrut and Bazr were in a relationship. They were brothers to me. Maybe not biologically but in a strong sense of kinship from their time spent serving as guardians of the whirls.

The closest approximation I could give is that Baze was Chirrut's 'Space Carer'.

I mean, I'm not talking tongue in cheek when I say that they could have easily had Chirrut call Baze his husband, or had them kiss good-bye at the end, and nothing else about the relationship would have to change. If Kennedy and company are serious about diversity and portraying a LGBT relationship on-screen, that was the perfect opportunity without "shoving it down people's throats".

Do I think they're actually in a relationship? No, because the movie doesn't clarify that. (Same with Finn and Poe, although there's no way Poe Dameron is straight.) Do I still ship them like crazy and think they should have been married? Hell yes.

And I feel the same way about Kanan and Hera on Rebels so no, it's not just about shipping all the men together. :p

I'd say having them kiss or call each other husband is shoving it down our throats. They established Sulu was in a same sex relationship in Star Trek without doing those things.

Were they shoving Han and Leia down our throat? Cause they kissed.

This is the root problem with diversity arguments. The only agenda is equal response. If a straight couple and a gay couple in a movie do the exact same things, the overwhelming argument is the gay scenario is an agenda or something being fed to us.

Asking for equality just means that when the general public sees a gay couple they have the same non reaction as they would to a straight couple.

Obviously we have a long way to go.

I'd say having them kiss or call each other husband is shoving it down our throats. They established Sulu was in a same sex relationship in Star Trek without doing those things.

Were they shoving Han and Leia down our throat? Cause they kissed.

This is the root problem with diversity arguments. The only agenda is equal response. If a straight couple and a gay couple in a movie do the exact same things, the overwhelming argument is the gay scenario is an agenda or something being fed to us.

Asking for equality just means that when the general public sees a gay couple they have the same non reaction as they would to a straight couple.

Obviously we have a long way to go.

Actually I was saying they didn't need to make it that obvious to plant a sign on the floor and say "look it's gay people".

Pretty similar to how Jyn and Cassian didn't have to kiss at the end to intimate that they may have feelings for each other.

I have gay friends and I'm pro-gay in my own way. But I don't think that Star Wars is the right place to satisfy Mara's fetishes.

Do we need to remind you where you work again T?? Where I work people of all sexual orientations are treated equally and they get paid the same and they also get to do the big jobs.

You might need a ladder to dismount mi amigo

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.