The I've Seen Rogue One Thread (spoilers OBV)

captainbleh

My son and I just got back from it. I thought it was alright. Other than a few funny areas of the movie, the first 2 acts were incredibly slow. 3rd act, however, was incredible. I need to watch it again, but I'm baffled by how non interesting this movie was for the most part, but the final act is probably one of the best acts I've seen from a movie in years. That 3rd act was top ****ing shelf.

Well said-- and you're right. That was a major point of R1, to do it differently. I think as an experiment it certainly worked-- but having the movie tied so closely to ANH and Edwards not reigning in Mendelsohn and Whittaker to that tone makes it struggle a bit as opposed to say, a Boba Fett movie that's just about him being a badass with no ties to saga storylines.

Reign them in? So they sound like everyone else??

Not sound-- just hit it at the same level as everyone else.

Guest El Chalupacabra

I really liked this movie. I'll elaborate more when I have the time. But I think I might actually like it better than TFA, and I liked TFA quite a bit. Not sure at this point. I am going to wait a bit and let the movie settle in before I actually say that. I think Rogue One will definitely have better rewatch-ability, though. I have no complaints about the plot, characters, FX, and the CGI cameos were great, even if there is a tad bit of an uncanny valley thing going on there.

Also, glad they did have Bail Organa, and granted

it will be hard to have a sequel to this spin off, considering everybody ******* dies (!!!!!), but I want to see another spin off movie with Bail, and Obi Wan!

Rogue One is substantially better the second time around. The Vader scene was still amazing.

It was pretty damn awesome. Makes me want a Darth Vader jedi purge spin off movie, made from the point of view of Darth Vader. Also, the bacta tank scene was great, too, and there is sort of a nod to Bast Castle.

I'm glad they had JEJ reprise the role of Vader, and it totally isn't his fault for his voice changing some, but they could have done a better job cleaning it up to match the OT films better.

I know they intentionally made it so that Vader's suit matched ANH, but when Krennick met Vader, Vader's suit looked a little too much like a Halloween costume in one of the close ups. They could have used darker lighting or something to hide that.

One last thought for the night. I know a lot of people are like "who care's it's a stupid 20 year old video game," but I liked the fact the Rogue One doesn't completely contradict Dark Forces. I rationalize it as the plans that were uploaded were missing some data, so they sent in Kyle Katarn. Haha! Then again, your head canon may vary.

This is the "I've seen it" thread. No need to hide spoilers. Your idea for a spinoff with Bail and Obi Wan...I always got the feeling the point of Kenobi and Yoda hiding was that they'd stay hidden from everyone of importance until it was absolutely necessary to reveal themselves. Having a film or any story with Obi Wan and Bail interacting before the events of ANH puts that in jeopardy. In fact, I think that's one of the dangers of having an Obi Wan spinoff film at all. They already went overboard having Kanan and Ezra going full fledged Jedi in Rebels.

So I wonder if we'll ever get the "Director's Cut" of Rogue One? Kidding, but the footage shown in the trailers does suggest there was a very different movie being made:

https://youtu.be/f3DkQehtt04

Guest El Chalupacabra

I think there is room for Obi wan to leave Tatooine for a mission, but there can always be an adventure for Obi Wan on Tatooine. You have bounty hunters and inquisitors that could track him down. Also, he could be on a mission to save Luke as a child, and at the end he causes Luke to forget, Superman II style. But I agree with Driver: doesn't fit Obi Wan's personality to just sit around and do nothing for 20 years. I dislike how some fans think that Obi Wan is locked into just sitting on Tatooine the whole time. Yes, Obi Wan was in hiding, and yes, he was watching over Luke, but he doesn't have to be on Tatooine the entire time, either. There is nothing in canon that states Obi Wan stayed in his sand igloo for 20 years and picked his nose and played space invaders, in between stalking Luke when Uncle Owen wasn't looking.

BTW, I liked the un-jedi: Guardians of the Whills. Very clever idea, because Star Wars without any jedi at all, just doesn't feel right. It was a great way to have a jedi-like presence in the movie, without breaking the established canon that the jedi were nearly extinct at that time.

That 3rd act was top ****ing shelf.

In the end, I think that's why I'll end up liking this movie a lot more than The Force Awakens. The two movies are a bit inverted. The first third of this one was only okay while it was the strongest part of TFA. And while Cassian is definitely better than Finn (man, what a turd he is in that film), Jyn is just nowhere near Rey. It's not like Daisy Ridley is even as good an actress as Felicity Jones, because she's really not. But Rey just pops a whole lot better and her introduction and first few scenes are something that just felt right.

But The Force Awakens fell apart as it went along, pretty much from the moment Rey was captured and up through the very weak climax. Despite a few flaws, at least Rogue One knew how to balance a ground battle with a space batter. Matter of fact, this is the first REAL space battle we've gotten since Return of the Jedi and it's nice to have back. The Phantom Menace was the closest, but just had Anakin flying around at random until he accidentally won the space and ground battle. Revenge of the Sith only had a straight-line to Dooku's ship. And The Force Awakens had a token X-Wing attack that they forgot about for large chunks of time.

Here we have a real story going on up there where the space battle is integrated with what's going on with the people below them, where the tide of the battle turns a few times, and it's for the most part something to get vested into. Again, we haven't really had that in 33 years and it's awesome to finally regain that in Star Wars since it was, once upon a time, the series true bread and butter.

And with the heroes dying one-by-one, it raised things up just that much more of a notch since we know the heroes don't have plot armor here.

Another little nit-pick though. They were a bit inconsistent in how invulnerable Star Destroyers were to other ships. Vader's Star Destroyer rammed all those ships with no problem, but the other Star Destroyer was completely destroyed by a very slow-moving Star Destroyer hitting it. Not to mention the A-Wing that took out a Super Star Destroyer in RotJ (though I suppose the deflector shields got taken down first there).

That's a good point. Krennic deserved to go out via Vader or Tarkin. It was kind of an ignominious end.

I rather liked that he went out like a bitch.

Besides, it was Tarkin who killed him.

Saw it last night. I really liked it. Too many geek out moments to list. My only real complaints stem from things I felt the film should have stayed away from. I'm not one of those that got riled up over the "design defect" of the Death Star. An exhaust port two meters wide that required a one and a million shot from a young Jedi Padawan? Doesn't seem like defective air bags or batteries blowing up your phone..... And as much as I loved Vader kicking ass trying to get to the Tantive, my first thought was where was that during the old man fight in ANH? Small gripes.

Guest El Chalupacabra

Well, if Rebels follows through on it's current plot, there's going to be something with Maul and Obi-Wan on Tatooine, be it a movie or show episode.

If there ever is a Maul VS Obi Wan rematch, it will be on Rebels, or maybe a sequel CGI animated show. I don't see it in a live action movie movie. As far as the movies are concerned, Maul is dead. They would have to explain how he survived, which I don't see them doing in a live action movie.

I think the design defect (not that I ever bought it in to the Death Star having a vulnerability being such an unusual thing) was supposed to be something so subtle that only someone who knew it was there would be able to detect it, and now all of those people are dead...

Or are they? Is Vader's "do not be too proud" line now a cryptic reference to the conversation he had with Krennic?

I'm going to pay a lot more attention to the third act when I see it again because it was a lot to take in on one viewing and I didn't really get the feels, but I really liked most of the first two "slow" acts of this and (until I see it again anyway) most of my emotional reaction to R1 is centred on Galen.

One of my minor complaints with the film was the soundtrack, it just seemed to over the top and in your face at times, it could have been a little more subtle, but I'm listening to it on CD right now and it sounds great. It sounds more like the style of music Williams was composing in the late 70's early 80's. There is a section in the first track that sounds a lot like a section of E.T. I'm more than happy with it.

I'll be going to see it again a few days, I could go tonight but I don't want to kill it.

The final space battle was just amazing to witness, there where a lot of beautiful images in this film and stand out scenes. I got really emotional watching it in parts, (despite getting a little bored somewhere in the middle). I went to the toilet after the film ended and I've never seen my eyes look so red.

If only Gareth Edwards and whoever the writer was had done Episode 7... Oh well...

There might not have been any Bothans that died in this one, but I counted at least 5 Wilhelms that bit the dust.

I had heard about the Peter Cushing thing beforehand, and I can see where there are some complaints. While Cushing might have a living doppelganger out there, chances are he's not a licensed actor. We could have gotten that molded mask that was a mess at the end of ROTS.

I think I've watched way too many cinemasins videos. The opening scene while cool had me wondering why they landed so far away from Erso's farm. That was a long ass walk.

Saw it at 9am this morning. I wasn't super excited for this one, so my expectations were subverted. Not sure if i would say I loved it, but definitely liked it a lot. So very different, props to Disney for having the balls to experiment and try and do different things.

Story: better than TFA. Really solid war story. You could say the story was nothing more than the crawl from ANH, and that's very accurate, but it's very focused and well done.

Characters: I...don't even remember their names. The villains were great however. The infighting and bickering for credit of the death star was good. The rebels were kind of..unmemorable. Could have done better. The droid was amazing. A sarcastic droid. Love it! The blind guy and his friend was a nice duo, but needed more info on them. Halfway through the movie I realized I have no idea why they are even along for the ride. Forrest Whitaker's character flat out sucked. In general they felt kind of like...well...terrorists, but not in an awful way; more like a righteous and non-horrible way.

Peter Cushing: worst performance of his career. Just kidding. At first I LOVED what they did with him, but as you saw more and more of him he looked more CG, and I got a bit of a creepy vibe, like reanimating the dead. Since Tarkin is an evil SOB, it kind of worked. He really needed to be in there.

Leia, Red and Gold Leader: loved what they did! But...where was Porkins?!?!

Vader: did he look fat, or was it just me? Well, I wanted more of him. What we did get was great. Could have done without his corny one-liner, but I loved the way he was played up in the lines: "should we use the death star on the rebel fleet? No. VADER will handle the fleet." he's so badass he's entrusted to handle the entire fleet. Love it. Bacta tank was not only a great intro, but contributed to a his character in a positive way. He's stuck in that thing until it is required for him to be unleashed, like a monster. Vader has never been so frightening.

Beginning: it was a positive thing I guess to see different planets, large universe and what not, but I found all the jumping around a bit confusing. Plus it was kind of boring, but necessary to get things rolling, so I understand.

The ending: BEST. SPACE. BATTLE. EVAR!! Words cannot describe how much I loved the third act. One of the most memorable moments in star wars. The transition to the beginning of ANH was so PERFECT and seamless I didn't know prequels could be done this well. A million times better than ROTS.

Impact on star wars: in general, this movie as a bonus tied up loose ends, and added to the star wars mythos all in positive ways.

Everyone should see this movie. Period.

In respect of the X-wings taking out the walker, on my second viewing, it's a single explosion that hits it. That makes me feel like it was either a proton torpedo or the more likely concussion missile that did it. Both were carried by X-wings and they are evidenced on the attack on the Eadu facility when they bomb the landing platform.

Similarly the gunner on the U-Wing was firing Ion Rounds (Blue) at a walker that not only knocked out a leg but disabled the entire machine. Evidenced by the blue electrical flashes at the top of the walker prior to it exploding (from a leg hit!!).

I also think it's worth pointing out that they're cargo variants of the AT-AT (AT-ACT I think it is), which would have less armour than the front-line variants we saw in ESB, plus the enormous hole in the side that the cargo pods would fit in to would create a glaring structural weakness which would make them easier to take down than the ESB AT-ATs.

I also think it's worth pointing out that they're cargo variants of the AT-AT (AT-ACT I think it is), which would have less armour than the front-line variants we saw in ESB, plus the enormous hole in the side that the cargo pods would fit in to would create a glaring structural weakness which would make them easier to take down than the ESB AT-ATs.

I bet Galen Erso designed the walkers to blow up easier too

If I hadn'rt already said it I would applaud!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.