The I've Seen Rogue One Thread (spoilers OBV)

captainbleh

Yeah, it's not established canon since it's in games and other media, but they have shown before that weapons on the actual ships were more powerful than the ones on the speeders and thus more effective against AT-AT's.

Another nitpick I have is the sound of the blaster fire. At times I felt they sounded more like something out of Terminator as opposed to the sounds established by the OT.

I've no clue why he shot up Saw Gerrera's guy though. I must have missed something there. Any help guys?

It sure as **** got their attention, which I don't think would have happened if they'd just started shooting stormtroopers. Just a couple of opportunistic trigger happy anti-Imperials if they'd done that, but by shooting that guy, Cassian made sure Gerrera's people noticed them.

That's the way I saw it, as it really didn't make sense to me until I thought about it.

I thought it was obvious that Saws guy was going to chuck that grenade at the tank. Jyn was leaning up against the tank for cover, so he shot the guy so he wouldn't kill Jyn.

I didn't think of that, good point. I'll look for that when I see it next.

I did like that Cassian was sort of a bad person in some ways. Hey, running a Rebellion is dirty business. I've no clue why he shot up Saw Gerrera's guy though. I must have missed something there. Any help guys? But it is nice to note that you can't overthrow a government without employing agents that get their hands dirty and that they have to live with it as well.

Both me and my brother specifically mentioned this as a plus when we came out and discussed it. It's a side to the Rebellion you just don't see in the OT and it's good that they highlighted that it would need that kind of operative/operations to survive.

And I'll incur the wrath of Walt... and no one else has brought this up yet-- but I thought the only thing that was truly bad about this movie was the music. It was terrible and on the nose. I don't know if this is because it was recycle Williams on top of one composer that got fired on top of a third that stepped in-- but I found it to be uninspiring and forced at every turn. Nothing iconic about it.

The music actually bugged me. I kept expecting/wanting the classic Williams' themes to kick in, the Imperial March when we see the Star Destroyers with the Death Star, or the Yavin batttle music during the Scarif space battle, and it kind of bugged me that it wasn't. I can look past it though, just more of a niggle for me.

This just occured to me, and it's a strange, minor nitpick, but since they CG'd in other original X-Wing pilots it would have been nice to see Wedge, or even had someone new play him as a more prominent character. Oh well.

I think not having Wedge was the right call, considering that his reaction when he sees the Death Star in ANH makes it clear that he's never seen it before, and if he'd been there at Scarif, he would have seen it there. I loved that they had Gold and Red leaders in there, it was a choice that made a lot of sense (as was killing Red 5, that was a little moment for me that I enjoyed), but having Wedge wouldn't due to how he reacted over Yavin.

I think I used the phrase "tonally all over the place," though that may have been in a separate discussion. We mean different things though, I think, and your complaint has a little more depth to it. It just felt off at times to me, I can't articulate it better than that.

For me, it's the humor jammed in there. It felt, and I thought the same in TFA, very prequely. I don't need that in my Star Wars.

I don't think you're the only one with struggles with the tone issues (and I've already referenced you on that), but I'm not sure if the things that are bothering us are the same, even though I agree about it possibly being R1's biggest fault.

But I don't see why the inconsistent tone makes R1 more of an odd duck than all of the other things that make it an odd duck.

(I didn't like the score that much and missed the familiar stuff, but I overlooked it because I'm all for R1 and its siblings being experimental and I know that I'm not going to like all of the results. I'd have to critique the score like any other score and not bash it just because it's "not the same")

Which dovetails into your other question about watch order...I think I'd watch it first, then go on to ANH. It's a "dark prequel," then you can spring into A New Hope which brings you back to a more uplifting feel and sets off the hero's journey.

My girlfriend watched it as her introduction to Star Wars (truthfully I'm not even sure she knows Darth Vader is Luke's father... she's weirdly sheltered, she's never even seen Harry Potter). This was a conscious decision on my part (in part because it would be a fun experiment lol). I got about 30 responses on twitter whether it was a good or bad move and it was split pretty evenly. We didn't have time to talk much last night but we will tonight, and we'll watch ANH if she wants to.

ETA: The OT and PT are so visually different anyway that tone differences aren't any more jarring, imo.

That's a difficult one for me because I've never really believed in "the saga" as thing; for me, it's just a family of movies that is nearly 40 years old (with unavoidable differences and inconsistencies), and don't do viewing marathons or really care about viewing orders.

But I thought it was generally accepted that R1 being an odd duck was pretty much the point of it, and if someone is going to struggle with a detour in to morally ambiguous SW land between ROTS and ANH then they're just going to have to deal with it I suppose.

But whilst thinking about what the odd duck thing might have meant, it did occur to me that populating the same movie with morally ambiguous / complex characters and classic heroes and villains (with Krennic stuck in the middle and having to interact with both) is a really unusual thing to do and it's hardly surprising that there are tone issues (even though I think some of them could have been avoided).

So thinking out loud (with no guarantee of any sense)... different / toned down or just more sophisticated versions of Vader and Tarkin? No Vader or Tarkin? Having the Rebel Fleet at the end be led by I-want-Galen-dead guy instead of classic hero not-Admiral Ackbar? Dunno.

(and apologies if any of this is just weird / WTF; it's just an attempt to untangle a feeling about something instead of criticism)

Well said-- and you're right. That was a major point of R1, to do it differently. I think as an experiment it certainly worked-- but having the movie tied so closely to ANH and Edwards not reigning in Mendelsohn and Whittaker to that tone makes it struggle a bit as opposed to say, a Boba Fett movie that's just about him being a badass with no ties to saga storylines.

Did not like:

R2 and 3P0-- I KNOW they have to be every SW movie... but it felt really forced. Like I need to hear 3P0 talking. Would have made more sense to just see them on the Tantive bridge with Leia in the background.

I thought about this a little more. At the start of ANH C-3PO tells R2 "there'll be no escape for the princess this time." But then when R2 shows Luke part of Leia's message 3PO claims to not know who she is. "A person of some importance" is the only explanation he gave. We can chalk it up to him just trying to keep her identity secret since he didn't know if he could trust Luke at the time. But it seems inconsistent with the rest of the saga, especially since he didn't even know what was going on. He just followed R2 into the escape pod and R2 was the only one trying to accomplish the mission.

Also, when the Star Destroyers were rammed into each other, I thought about ESB when the two Destroyers crash into one another when Han outmaneuvers them. I was expecting to hear the alarm you hear in that scene for this one. But instead we got the same alarm you hear on the Death Star. Strange how much the world of the OT stuck that you expect even the most minor things like this to be correct.

Oh I just thought of a couple of shots that made my hair stand: The first takeoff of ships from Yavin IV with the guy in the tower, then them leaving orbit. Almost shot for shot with the OT.

I'd also be interested to know just how similar the Death Star firing sequences were.

Oh and I waited all movie for "You may fire when ready." That's the quintessential Peter Cushing line to me. That and "Would you prefer another target, a military target?" They just capture his accent perfectly.

I liked that they got in the little R roll that Cushing does when Tarkin was talking with Krennic without overdoing it.

EDIT: Anyone else notice that one of Gerrera's men with Two-tubes when we first saw Bodhi was wearing a black scout trooper helmet? It's something we've seen in the books and comics, it's nice to see it on screen too. It would also mark the first canon appearance of the scout trooper helmet, since this takes place years before ROTJ (assuming it's not actually a BARF trooper helmet, which could be even cooler)

I thought about this a little more. At the start of ANH C-3PO tells R2 "there'll be no escape for the princess this time." But then when R2 shows Luke part of Leia's message 3PO claims to not know who she is. "A person of some importance" is the only explanation he gave. We can chalk it up to him just trying to keep her identity secret since he didn't know if he could trust Luke at the time. But it seems inconsistent with the rest of the saga, especially since he didn't even know what was going on. He just followed R2 into the escape pod and R2 was the only one trying to accomplish the mission.

C-3PO in A New Hope was simply written differently than any other movie, so he could do stuff like lie to Luke. The simple fact is that the script didn't really match the character because Anthony Daniels' portrayal was in many ways at odds with the somewhat slick character that Lucas originally imagined him as being.

Imagine C-3PO in ESB, RotJ, TFA, or any of the Prequels having the presence of mind to lock himself in the closet and call for help, to sell himself to Uncle Owen, or hit R2-D2 in anger and insult him. It just wouldn't have happened. The C-3PO of A New Hope is unique and, sadly, we'll never get him back because I rather prefer him over the useless C-3PO that replaced him.

I think I used the phrase "tonally all over the place," though that may have been in a separate discussion. We mean different things though, I think, and your complaint has a little more depth to it. It just felt off at times to me, I can't articulate it better than that.

For me, it's the humor jammed in there. It felt, and I thought the same in TFA, very prequely. I don't need that in my Star Wars.

Dude this would be a very dark movie otherwise. That changes the tone completely. The humour was used sparingly I thought.

Well said-- and you're right. That was a major point of R1, to do it differently. I think as an experiment it certainly worked-- but having the movie tied so closely to ANH and Edwards not reigning in Mendelsohn and Whittaker to that tone makes it struggle a bit as opposed to say, a Boba Fett movie that's just about him being a badass with no ties to saga storylines.

Reign them in? So they sound like everyone else??

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.