Anyone here stopped smoking?

Carrie Mathison

Guest El Chalupacabra

Despite like every movie or TV show that's come out of there?

I can't say that I watch very much of either, and if or when I do, it's British. I don't know what that little fun fact of yours is supposed to imply, but I assume it's to imply Driver's statement that it seemed to him pretty much everyone over there smokes. Which maybe to him, it seemed like they did. Maybe everyone he associated over there did. But yeah, your point is taken, because we all know everything you see in film and TV is real, right?

Be that as it may, I was curious, because well, sh*t, I haven't been to Europe in over 25 years. WTF do I know, right? So, I looked it up via quick google search, and it seems that an average of 29% of Europeans smoke, VS 16.8% of Americans.

Broken down by country, in the UK, it's about 19% who smoke.

In France, 31% of adults smoke.

In Italy, 25% of adults smoke.

In Switzerland, about 28.2 % of the population smokes.

In Germany, it's about 24.5% of the population who smokes.

Interesting results, and while significantly more Europeans do smoke than Americans, TV and film doesn't seem any more reflective of Europeans than Americans, since 29% if a far cry from "everyone."

Despite like every movie or TV show that's come out of there?

I can't say that I watch very much of either, and if or when I do, it's British. I don't know what that little fun fact of yours is supposed to imply, but I assume it's to imply Driver's statement that it seemed to him pretty much everyone over there smokes. Which maybe to him, it seemed like they did. Maybe everyone he associated over there did. But yeah, your point is taken, because we all know everything you see in film and TV is real, right?

Be that as it may, I was curious, because well, sh*t, I haven't been to Europe in over 25 years. WTF do I know, right? So, I looked it up via quick google search, and it seems that an average of 29% of Europeans smoke, VS 16.8% of Americans.

Broken down by country, in the UK, it's about 19% who smoke.

In France, 31% of adults smoke.

In Italy, 25% of adults smoke.

In Switzerland, about 28.2 % of the population smokes.

In Germany, it's about 24.5% of the population who smokes.

Interesting results, and while significantly more Europeans do smoke than Americans, TV and film doesn't seem any more reflective of Europeans than Americans, since 29% if a far cry from "everyone."

Have you ever wondered what life would be like if you weren't so snippy and defensive of everything?

Guest El Chalupacabra

I don't know. Haven't really thought about it. Have you ever wondered what life would be like if you weren't such a muckraker?

If I am snippy and defensive, it's only towards people like you who only post replies to me, just to put me down in some way.

I've been to London and Spain in the last 3 years. Most everyone I saw after the sun went down under the age of 30 was smoking.

That's my exact science poll.

I noticed this, too, when I went. I've been to France, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, and England. Was most prolific in France and Italy. It was winter in Switzerland and Germany, so it wasn't as noticeable. Probably because it was colder than shit outside.

What's so bad about being a muckraker?

"Muckraker, any of a group of American writers identified with pre-World War I reform and exposé literature. The muckrakers provided detailed, accurate journalistic accounts of the political and economic corruption and social hardships caused by the power of big business in a rapidly industrializing United States."

Guest El Chalupacabra

Yeah. Whatever. Glad to give you guys something to yuck it up about.

If you are going to band me, go ahead and get it over with. We all know Cerina has a history of banning people simply because she doesn't like them.

Yeah. Whatever. Glad to give you guys something to yuck it up about.

If you are going to band me, go ahead and get it over with. We all know Cerina has a history of banning people simply because she doesn't like them.

It seems like maybe you're going through a rough time right now, and this time of year always makes bad things worse. So, if that it's the case, I hope things get better, and not in sooner condescending way. I'm also going through a lot, include the fact that next Tuesday, I'm fired. My dad also does the day after we did our family Christmas five years ago.

The point in sharing that isn't too say "oh, poor me, give me pity," but rather just to say that, yeah, if I have an opportunity to make light of things, especially without insulting anyone, I'm going for it. I'm gonna do everything I can to keep my spirits up. But if it offended you, I'm sorry.

And, as Cerina said, as a team we've banned very few people who weren't just spammers. And we've unbanned significantly more. The chance of you getting banned without going way of the deep end is 0. Just isn't going to happen.

Maybe this was helpful, maybe I just came across as being a jerk, but I do wish the best for you and hope that you do have a Merry Christmas.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.