DC comics. Wtf?

Quetzalcoatl

Since the latest DC relaunch (DC Rebirth) I've been reading several DC titles, and I'm confused regarding some of the continuity issues. A plotline that's been running through the current books has been the idea that someone had manipulated the time stream, effectively "stealing" memories from everyone. Sense DC Rebirth, some characters have gotten these memories back. Now, I've been assuming that these "stolen memories" are those events belonging to the pre-DCNewU continuity. In other words, I've been going with the idea that this time manipulation the characters keep talking about is what kicked of the New 52 continuity (I wasn't reading the comics when that happened). But that doesn't make sense because other books are treating the DCNewU as a parallel earth that coexists with the pre-New 52 one. The New 52 Superman, for example, has been shown to be a completely different character from the pre-New 52 one. The latest issue of Nightwing ​makes pretty clear that the Dick Grayson who's adventures we are now following is NOT the same Dick Grayson from the pre-New 52 comics, but an alternate one. I don't know how to reconcile this with what I've been reading in Titans. I got the impression from that book that Dick Grayson, and all the other Titans, are the same characters that we knew prior to the New 52, only with years (and therefore memories) removed from their lives, which is why they originally couldn't remember many pre-New 52 events.

So where exactly did the DCNewU come from? Some books are making it pretty clear that its just an alternate universe, as opposed to it being the same universe that just got effed up by someone messing with time. But if that's the case, what is all this "time theft/stolen memories" talk about?

Can someone help me out here?

I haven't read any of those but it sounds pretty confusing. I'm still trying to figure out current Marvel continuity. I mean, they reset and combined things with the main universe but what are the character like Mile's backstories now? Does he remember that he is from an alternate Earth or is he supposed to have always been there?

I think both companies should just start everything over! That or just alternate Earths it to explain away things like they did back in the day.

That's what they are still doing. Starting over and alternate universes is what created this problem.

DC's continuity over the last decade has been intentionally confusing and I always hated it. The fact Marvel followed suit frnkly nerd-gutted me and I haven't been reading comics-- even my beloved X-Men, since.

I think X-Men fans have been getting the short end of the stick for a while, especially since it looks like Marvel doesn't give much of a crap about them. Probably due to them not having the movie rights but I think Joe Quesada never liked them much, either. And we know what happens to things he doesn't like in comics, they get poofed away!

I saw the new creative teams for the upcoming X-titles and they are all yawnworthy. And they keep pushing Inhumans which is just eh. C'mon, Marvel, if Inhumans were ever going to be a thing it would have happened a long time ago.

I'll give it to DC for at least going back to what fans prefered, even if they did it in their usual confusing way.

Like Q said, this is still supposed to be the New 52 universe but the characters are remembering things from the PC one? Oh, and except Superman and Lois are both from the PC one, too, because New 52 Superman is dead...and there are two Lois Lanes and one is Superwoman now...

JQ hasn't been EIC for several years now. Marvel denies it up and down, but not having the X-Men film rights most certainly effects things. When they got called out on burying them they immediately said NUH UH LOOK and proceeded to change the status quo as far from the movies as possible.

These days they are so integrated with the rest of the Marvel U, the films have no way to resemble them.

Oh, I thought he was still in there. :|

Yeah, Marvel is lying their butts off saying it has nothing to do with the movie rights. Same for the Fantastic Four, I think this is the first time they have not had an ongoing in...ever? I know most of the characters are still around but the team has always had a title even when it wasn't the original 4.

I mean, guys like Foolkiller, Slapstick and Solo have ongoings but not the FF? *grump*

In fairness, Marvel isn't exactly being all synergistic with their MCU characters either. They've been swapping out iconic characters (more or less all the Avengers) like there's no tomorrow recently. Steve Rogers, Bruce Banner, Clint Barton, Tony Stark, and Thor have all passed the mantle one way or another, at least temporarily, recently.

I'm not sure comic books even matter anymore. Which is weird to think as you'd expect them to be going through some massive Renaissance right about now.

I don't think that's really new for comics, they've been swapping out characters for decades. Green Lantern, Iron Man, Thor, Flash, Green Arrow, Captain America...there have been plenty of times the original is absent and someone takes over the role for a while.

Maybe it's a little different now since Marvel is still keeping the originals while adding new ones who have the same name. Which I don't really get? I mean, okay, name recognition but how does it make sense to have two characters going by the name Spider-Man? Or Captain America? Or Thor? I guess Marvel could be doing this in the comics so that they could set things up for future movies when the actors eventually move on.

In fairness, Marvel isn't exactly being all synergistic with their MCU characters either. They've been swapping out iconic characters (more or less all the Avengers) like there's no tomorrow recently. Steve Rogers, Bruce Banner, Clint Barton, Tony Stark, and Thor have all passed the mantle one way or another, at least temporarily, recently.

I'm not sure comic books even matter anymore. Which is weird to think as you'd expect them to be going through some massive Renaissance right about now.

I think they expected everyone who watched an MCU movie would leave the theater and hit a comic shop-- but it just didn't happen.

I'm pretty sure the swapping out and mantle passing is to set up younger more diverse roles for name brand heroes because at some point the actors are going to age out of the roles. This way when they are recast they can have legit comics counterparts.

It's happening with Wolverine even though Fox owns him. Hugh Jackman is on his last outing and they are introducing X23. In the comics, Logan prime was killed off a couple years ago and Old Man Logan was swapped in via a multiverse hole.

Comics are in a sad state right now.

I'm pretty sure the swapping out and mantle passing is to set up younger more diverse roles for name brand heroes because at some point the actors are going to age out of the roles. This way when they are recast they can have legit comics counterparts.

I don't think that's what will happen. They're definitely on a diversity kick, but I think it really is meant for the comics. I rather doubt Robert Downey Jr. is ever going to be replaced with a 15-year-old girl (talk about putting a world of pressure on someone!) or Thor with Natalie Portman. Captain America I can see being passed to Falcon though, if not Bucky, but that was built in a long time ago.

X23 could have been another exception. I was actually a bit disappointed that she's so young in the Logan movie. I was hoping she'd take over for Jackman immediately.

X23 could have been another exception. I was actually a bit disappointed that she's so young in the Logan movie. I was hoping she'd take over for Jackman immediately.

I wonder how that will work. Logan looks like it takes place after most or all of the X-Men are dead and gone. Unless they throw in some time travel shenanigans to get Laura in present day, in which case they could easily have an older actress play her. Or the same one since X-23 isn't that old in the comics, anyways, like 16 or 17. So the actress could play her in another movie that came out 3 or 4 years from now. Hey, Chloe Moretz played a 12 year old asskicker in a comic movie, and her character didn't even have powers!

Or the same one since X-23 isn't that old in the comics, anyways, like 16 or 17.

Oh, I can deal with a young X-23. Sixteen or seventeen is just fine (though I'm not comfortable with much younger). Unlike Tony Stark, a teenager who has gone through hell is a fitting successor to the animalistic Wolverine. It may not be Logan, but it has the right texture for a Wolverine concept, especially the learning to harness his rage portion of the character. And if Hugh Jackman absolutely insists on getting old, then X-23 makes at least as much sense as recasting.

But she doesn't really seem like she's got that sort of dangerous in her at the moment. At least from the trailer, I got a whole lot more of a sense that she was being protected, not that she was about to stick a few claws through someone's head like Logan.

In the first NYX series she was a lot younger-- but yeah, the future timeline is confusing-- it doesn't seem to be either of the timelines seen in DOFP.

Well, it would certainly continue the tradition of the Wolverine movies being the tossed aside as useless. Origins: Wolverine is pretty much not spoken of anymore. The Wolverine, despite a very open-ended resolution with Yukio joining Logan as his "bodyguard" was erased from continuity less than a year later, making the whole thing amazingly pointless.

At this point it'd almost be fitting if X-23 is recast and James McAvoy finds her and brings her in during the 90s in the next mainline X-Men movie. Because, why the hell not?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.