Fidel Castro is dead!

Poe Dameron

The title of this thread wasn't my opinion, I just copied and pasted from our president-elect's Twitter. One of those moments when you understand why people lapped up his crassness. Which I'm sure will fade away the next time he opens his mouth.

Anyway, Castro's dead. He's been out of direct power for awhile now, so the old question of what happens after Castro isn't so much in play, though his brother probably won't be holding onto power much longer himself.

Sadly, Obama pretty much picked the worst time to thaw relations with Cuba. Once Raul passed on, it would have been a good time for the United States to exert pressure on the new regime to open things up. But Obama wanted his legacy moment, so we tossed out a lot of our leverage already.

The title of this thread wasn't my opinion, I just copied and pasted from our president-elect's Twitter. One of those moments when you understand why people lapped up his crassness. Which I'm sure will fade away the next time he opens his mouth.

Anyway, Castro's dead. He's been out of direct power for awhile now, so the old question of what happens after Castro isn't so much in play, though his brother probably won't be holding onto power much longer himself.

Sadly, Obama pretty much picked the worst time to thaw relations with Cuba. Once Raul passed on, it would have been a good time for the United States to exert pressure on the new regime to open things up. But Obama wanted his legacy moment, so we tossed out a lot of our leverage already.

I honestly don't think what he said was crass. Someone dying doesn't wash away the wrong they've done. It's much more crass to do what say Jimmy Carter did and speak of fond memories of your visit with him.

As a non Trump supporter, but someone who finds most of the paranoia about him far overblown, I find it beyond amusing that Democrats who are so scared of what Trump may do have praised a man who did things far worse than even they would imagine Trump doing.

I think a lot of people from the Cold War era would echo his sentiment honestly but I'm not sure my grandparents would put it that way, hah. He did play a pretty big roll in some of the scarier parts of the early 60's and I'm sure many people who remember those times were not pleased we're opening up ties with Cuba again.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.