Test Area North

Marc DuQuesne

I found this a while back and found it intriguing. Maybe someone here might enjoy it. The Aircraft Nuclear Propulsion program was one of the craziest things that we (US) have ever come up with. The LOFT (Loss Of Fluid Test) reactor and the hot cell at TAN (said to have been the biggest west of the Berlin wall) was instrumental in the TMI investigation. They now use the hanger they built for the ARP project as part of the Army's composite (Chobham, depleted Uranium) armor production facility. It is a dry read at times, but I found it very interesting.

https://inldigitallibrary.inl.gov/sti/3028280.pdf

A note in case anyone decides to check it out on Google Earth. Almost all of the buildings have been demolished, you will have to use the old image function to see the hot cells and so forth. Still only gets you back to 1998 though so all the ARP stuff is gone.

P.S. If you look really carefully next to building by the parking lot in front of the big ass hanger, you will see an M1 Abrams tank. You will notice the barrel isn't pointed straight. I'm told the Army guys aimed the gun in the direction they thought the Naval Reactor Facility was when they parked it there. If that's true the stupid army guys missed by miles.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.