Ain't nobody got time to save yo life

Marc DuQuesne

So since the old ladies didn't shoot anybody they didn't actually need a weapon? You don't think the results may have been different if she wasn't pointing a gun in the intruder's face while giving her instructions? A weapon can have an impact without being discharged.

Here's what I want to know...

If this is happening multiple times and it's being reported in the local paper:

a) why aren't these little old ladies locking their home up before they go to bed, if there are known intruders in the area?

b) I know addicts aren't the brightest of folks, but if in every reported case they've been held at gunpoint, why do they keep breaking in on Granny Vigilante?

c) these are addicts looking to get a quick fix, they aren't out to murder anyone. Especially if they want to keep her as a source, they don't give scripts to dead people. So if "junkies broke in at night and tried to steal her pills without waking her up," why did Granny Vigilante confront the intruders? Why not keep a phone by your bed and call from there? Or play possum with gun in hand and call after the intruders have left? A basically able-bodied young person could overtake a lone little old lady who needs prescription meds, gun or not. Especially if they aren't working alone. You'd have to be nuts to confront someone if they haven't directly threatened you. Especially if you have no idea if they're armed or not. Having to refill your prescription is not worth risking your life. And even if the perps aren't there once the police arrive, again, addicts aren't very smart. They probably left prints.

Your story isn't adding up. I'd like to see your sources.

So since the old ladies didn't shoot anybody they didn't actually need a weapon? You don't think the results may have been different if she wasn't pointing a gun in the intruder's face while giving her instructions? A weapon can have an impact without being discharged.

a) why aren't these little old ladies locking their home up before they go to bed, if there are known intruders in the area?

b) I know addicts aren't the brightest of folks, but if in every reported case they've been held at gunpoint, why do they keep breaking in on Granny Vigilante?

c) these are addicts looking to get a quick fix, they aren't out to murder anyone. Especially if they want to keep her as a source, they don't give scripts to dead people. So if "junkies broke in at night and tried to steal her pills without waking her up," why did Granny Vigilante confront the intruders? Why not keep a phone by your bed and call from there? Or play possum with gun in hand and call after the intruders have left? A basically able-bodied young person could overtake a lone little old lady who needs prescription meds, gun or not. Especially if they aren't working alone. You'd have to be nuts to confront someone if they haven't directly threatened you. Especially if you have no idea if they're armed or not. Having to refill your prescription is not worth risking your life. And even if the perps aren't there once the police arrive, again, addicts aren't very smart. They probably left prints.

a- They did lock up, hence "breaking in".

b- I said there was a reported break in every few weeks. 3 instances the old lady held them up. These are not equal quantities. In other words, they get away with it quite often.

c- Old ranch ladies in Idaho might be different than old ladies wherever you are from. They are used to grabbing a gun to check out a disturbance in the herd. They don't hide under the bed till the coast is clear. My wife's grandmother (74) still hunts deer and elk every year and packs a .45 with her everywhere she goes. I would like to see you tell her to play possum.

The story adds up fine. It is just hard to get sheep to comprehend it.

If we had had our gun with us in January when that jackass t-boned us, the night would have turned out very differently. And not for the better. I think all the emergency personnel had enough to deal with as it was.

Ok, if you don't have self control and you are worried you may start shooting people out of hand you probably don't need to carry.

Not to nitpick because your points are all valid, except addicts can be smart and often are very intelligent. If you knew the lengths a heroin addict will go to to find the money to get a hit.. If that much effort went into something else like a legitimate job a lot of junkies would be very wealthy. No one becomes an addict by choice. Circumstances and poor decision making make roads that lead to addiction, but that doesn't make anyone stupid, not smart, or unintelligent.

Not to nitpick because your points are all valid, except addicts can be smart and often are very intelligent. If you knew the lengths a heroin addict will go to to find the money to get a hit.. If that much effort went into something else like a legitimate job a lot of junkies would be very wealthy. No one becomes an addict by choice. Circumstances and poor decision making make roads that lead to addiction, but that doesn't make anyone stupid, not smart, or unintelligent.

Which makes it more perplexing to me that multiple addicts would hit multiple homes that are known to have well-armed occupants. I should rephrase... possibly sloppy in the quest to score a hit ASAP. Because I can see someone break into Granny Vigilante's home if you're that desperate for a hit, but if you're intelligent, you're probably up on the local news, and probably know your neighbors and the area, and would be weighing the risk/reward ratio. I've never been desperate for a hit, so I'm not sure if the ROI would be worth it to someone to try to steal pain meds from a pissed off lady with a shotgun.

This is also why, as the pissed off lady with a shotgun, I'd be wary of confronting my intruders. Because if I were an intelligent junkie knowing full well that the occupant of the house I'm hitting is armed, I'd go in armed, too, and probably with a partner. I am also well aware that picking coyote out of my herd or hunting elk is very, very, very different from shooting a human being regardless of circumstance. I'd think that having to report a theft and refill my prescription isn't worth confronting someone who is actively looking to avoid an altercation, but probably planned for one all the same. Also, as someone with a chronic pain condition who takes medications that junkies would LOVE, if you've got really good drugs for junkies to steal, chances are it's because you live with some degree of incapacitation due to health issues. I don't care how much of a hardened redneck you are, if your hips or knees or back are in decline, you won't be able to move very quickly, adrenaline or not. And this is something that is ALWAYS on your mind as a person with a health problem.

So, yeah, this story doesn't add up at all.

Which makes it more perplexing to me that multiple addicts would hit multiple homes that are known to have well-armed occupants. I should rephrase... possibly sloppy in the quest to score a hit ASAP. Because I can see someone break into Granny Vigilante's home if you're that desperate for a hit, but if you're intelligent, you're probably up on the local news, and probably know your neighbors and the area, and would be weighing the risk/reward ratio. I've never been desperate for a hit, so I'm not sure if the ROI would be worth it to someone to try to steal pain meds from a pissed off lady with a shotgun.

Everybody has guns in this valley. Those were the old ladies without dogs, which are a much better burglar deterrent than a gun. It is much easier to sneak past a human than a dog. That is why I have a great big mean looking dog. Crackheads don't fuck with an Anatolian Shepherd.

This is also why, as the pissed off lady with a shotgun, I'd be wary of confronting my intruders. Because if I were an intelligent junkie knowing full well that the occupant of the house I'm hitting is armed, I'd go in armed, too, and probably with a partner. I am also well aware that picking coyote out of my herd or hunting elk is very, very, very different from shooting a human being regardless of circumstance. I'd think that having to report a theft and refill my prescription isn't worth confronting someone who is actively looking to avoid an altercation, but probably planned for one all the same. Also, as someone with a chronic pain condition who takes medications that junkies would LOVE, if you've got really good drugs for junkies to steal, chances are it's because you live with some degree of incapacitation due to health issues. I don't care how much of a hardened redneck you are, if your hips or knees or back are in decline, you won't be able to move very quickly, adrenaline or not. And this is something that is ALWAYS on your mind as a person with a health problem.

You keep saying "intelligent junkie". An intelligent junkie is the one that can hold a job. The functional pot smoker or alcoholic or whatever. They aren't the one breaking into an old ladies house in the middle of the night. I don't think you have ever been around a meth head or heroine addict. I am not saying they are all bad people but they aren't living in reality. My sister is a meth head and I don't let her around my family without me around. She is awesome when she is clean. If not she would rob me for a fix. One thing I can tell you, an "intelligent junkie" wouldn't take a gun with them and turn burglary into armed robbery.

The rest of that paragraph is the perfect argument for arming yourself. If you are not physically able to overpower an attacker you have to find a way to equalize things. The firearm makes the weakest old lady superior to that meth-head. Also, the people you hear saying that it is so much different killing a human than an animal, they are the ones that have never killed a man.

Other than that you are someone who would pay the Danegeld and play possum. We will never find common ground on that.

Guest El Chalupacabra

So, Dukane is Trump and Seth is Hillary-rite?

Seth is a nasty woman.

Finally some truth comes to this thread.

Duqueasy will grab Driver by the *****?

I sometimes think Marc is Pong trolling under an alias.

I had a similar thought, except not Pong, but Revroswell.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.