Shameless Self Promotion

Guest El Chalupacabra

I used to do a lot of side work on computers, or buying older but otherwise good computers for refurbishing and reselling them. I did that to get by, because at the time I wasn't making a lot. But I finally reached a point a while back where I didn't need a side gig because my day job payed enough, so I wanted to do something to give back somehow.

For almost 7 years now, I have used contacts I made over the years and procured older, used desktop PCs and laptops (sometimes out of my own pocket because people will have "broken" PC I can pick up cheap, or oftentimes, through donations from people I have done side jobs for, or more recently, from my employer during their refresh cycles), rebuilt and reinstalled operating systems, then donated them to people or organizations in need. This includes museums (they are often underfunded), a halfway house for at-risk teens, YMCA, smaller schools, private citizens, and closest to my heart, the Hopi Leadership Program. I don't know how many I have donated for free over the years, but since December 2015, I have personally donated about 70 such desktop PCs and laptops.

I also have been involved for a few years now with various toy drives around the holidays, and food drives to feed homeless families, in either case where I would donate a day or two of my time to help out. Last spring (when I had a semester off) I was one of a dozen people who participated in a bed drive (helped pick up donated beds and helped deliver them) to a charity that then would distribute them to various shelters .

Guest El Chalupacabra

Makes me wish I still had my old Zelda cartridge!

It's too bad you don't live closer to me, Chalup. We have an organization here called The Geek Group that's all about science and technology opportunities for all. I think you'd love working with them.

SUPER sweet what you're doing!

Thanks! :)
I didn't grow up poor, but we didn't have a lot of money either. I literally didn't own a computer until I was 22, so I understand getting a PC, even an old one in the hands of someone who might not otherwise be able to afford one, or an organization trying to do good for their community, can make a world of difference. What I do is just a drop in the bucket, but at least it is something.

Anybody who has placed an order so far, I have most of the prep work done, just waiting to get a fresh batch of the Raspberry Pis in tomorrow, and then I should ideally get them in the mail either as soon as the Etsy order has processed, or in the case where it has already gone through, I will definitely get them out before the end of the week.

And if anyone is interested in getting one for Christmas, at least let me know by Thanksgiving. You don't necessarily have to place the order, but I want to make sure I have all the components, because I'm trying to not overstock and lose money.

Question about the ordering process and Etsy in general:

I just got an email from etsy telling me I need to send a photo of my photo is to them for the order to be processed. A Google search has said this happens sometimes, but it seems super fishy.

Have any of you been faced with this when making this order or otherwise with the company?

My daughter just turned one

My son is enjoying preschool and isn't falling apart every day

I'm finally going to school with a real degree and career in mind

Which leads into I'm leaving a career that I hate

I've found a new hobby, and created an Etsy shop turning NES cartridges into full blown emulators.

Dude this is incredibly rad. I'm going to show my sister, my defacto brother in law collects old games. I think he'd freakin love this.

As for me personally I don't work anymore! I think that's definitely some thing to celebrate after toiling my entire adult life (even though it took me getting laid off from my miserable job for it to happen). I'm really thankful Link's job is good enough we can afford to make this happen. Especially cause our boy really needed the extra attention at the moment.

I picked up doing handcrafts again and have been really enjoying it. My new love is hand/arm knitting, hoping to put together some Christmas gifts while I laze about on bed rest.

At the day job: two raises and a promotion this year.

At the part-time not-exactly-paying fun-time hobby-job: going on 4½ years now, 1400 entries and counting, still getting just enough virtual hamster pellets to feed my self-esteem and keep doing what I'm doing while devaluing the writing market for all those internet users who dream of making a living at it. Having an entry go kindasorta mini-viral last spring among a particular fan base was pretty gratifying, even though it was for deeply irritated reasons.

Meanwhile, my son is now in his senior year of college and I am older than ever.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.