Shameless Self Promotion

Since we have our depression thread, why don't we have one to brag? I want to hear about how great work is going, or kids, or the costume you made, or whatever. What are you doing well?

Any side gigs for anyone? An Etsy shop? Share whatever here. Brag about yourself and let us see the good stuff!

In the last year I've received three raises, had a role change, am considered part of department "management" (despite not having a job title change, which I'm fighting for), and have a sneaking suspicion I'm being groomed for a real promotion. It's all been kinda overwhelming since I've never been anything but a bottom of the barrel peon at work, but I think I'm adapting mostly pretty well.

It's not much to brag about but it's something. Bragging feels uncomfortable anyway. I'm not doing this thread right.

It's not much to brag about but it's something. Bragging feels uncomfortable anyway. I'm not doing this thread right.

That's definitely something to brag about. You're awesome, you need to own it. Even though I haven't met you in person, you're one of the coolest guys I know.

I've lost 12 lbs in 2 months doing Orange Theory and calorie counting. It's not fun but it's successful!

That's awesome! And a really healthy amount of weight loss for that time period. You should be very proud!

I just got through the department level for tenure and promotion. Now, I just need the process through the rest of the university to go smoothly, too.

Whoa! That's huge! I hope it continues to go well.

Been a pretty lousy few years lately to be honest. But I did manage to loose 100 pounds in 7 months recently (115 pounds total).

That's huge. How recent was this? That's just gotta be such a major life changing event right there. I lost 85 lbs last year and it was amazing how different I felt about myself.

Been a pretty lousy few years lately to be honest. But I did manage to loose 100 pounds in 7 months recently (115 pounds total).

Dude-- that is amazing. No small feat. I've been trading the same 35 pounds for about a decade, up and down. I'm on a downswing now, and I'm hoping I can finally punch through the wall and then keep things down.

Do you want to share what you did to do it?

I like this thread. I've had a pretty good year, and everyone seems to hate on the 2016. But--

- I bought a house

- My ADD kid seems to be adjusting to middle school really well (I was very nervous about this)

- I sold my first original script

- I'm in the final steps of selling a TV show, which if it gets past the pilot stage will change my life

- I just signed to write a movie where the director is the daughter of one of my biggest idols

- my sleeve tattoo is almost done, coving my bad 90s art school tattoos

- my halloween decorations are the best on the block

- I had an annual physical and my doctor says I can come off my high blood pressure meds

- I'm pretty sure my fight with Justus is one of the funniest things ever

Trevor's business is starting to show a little bit of growth and stability. He's had a couple of repeat customers now. So that's nice. I mean, we're still barely scraping by with nothing in savings, but it's starting to look hopeful.

We switched homeschool styles with Noah. He was starting to show a lot of eagerness for something more structured and has absolutely taken to ancient history. So I started to read a little more about classical education (when I was actually just looking for more literature suggestions to go along with the history spine we're using with the History Club he joined this year), and both Noah and Trevor really jumped on it. Now our focus is on a chronological survey of world history, literature from and about the time period that corresponds to our history, and the mechanics of writing (spelling, grammar, handwriting). It's a huge shift for me. We seem to have really stepped back from science and math now. They've both taken almost a back-burner position, and I'm trying really hard to be ok with that. But honestly, he's probably a full level to level-and-a-half ahead in math and fully ready for high school science (once his reading and math catch up), so I shouldn't be too worried about it. (But history and writing are so not my "things".) Both boys have actually mentioned throwing in a little art and music appreciation to correspond to the historical time period as well. Also, sooo not my element. But yay for them! Yay for new things!

Luke cannot and will not sit still. He'll be walking by the end of the year. And climbing everything in sight shortly thereafter. Pray for us. I'm also 85% sure he's "talking". He repeats the same sounds often in the same context. I remember Noah doing that for MONTHS before we figured out what he was trying to "say". I'm fairly certain he's got "words" for "I got it", "I'm stuck", "bubba/brother/Noah", "that", and "food/eat", but I'm still kinda working them out.

I'm not sure I'm doing this right either.

THIS FASCINATES ME!!!!!

We switched homeschool styles with Noah. He was starting to show a lot of eagerness for something more structured and has absolutely taken to ancient history.

I am SHOCKED at how much easier middle school has been for Oliver. The change in structure clicked for him like crazy.

THIS FASCINATES ME!!!!!

Thanks. It started as a Christmas present for my nephew, but it seems like a pretty unique thing. Nobody else seems to be selling anything like it, really. I found one person doing something similar with 3D printed cartridges, but they aren't vintage, which I think adds value.

That's huge. How recent was this?

Started in late-May last year, hit the hundred pound mark by Christmas, and lost the last 15 pounds by April. Currently trying to figure out how to moderate now that I've let my foot off the accelerator and don't have strict portion control. Which is so much harder than following my strict regime, but so far I'm managing.

That's just gotta be such a major life changing event right there.

Honestly, if that was my goal, I'd be really disappointed right now. I mean, I look a lot better. Matter of fact, I can honestly say I think I look pretty good for a balding guy in his late-30s, which, how many balding guys in their late-30s can say that? And I made the decision to lose the weight when I literally got winded bending down to pick up the shampoo in the shower and can now run for miles, so mission accomplished on that front. Plus, it's nice to be able to sleep on my back again without cutting off my air supply. But my life in general really hasn't changed much since I started. :shrug:

Really, my goal wasn't so much life changing as life extending. So I'm happy with the results.

I lost 85 lbs last year and it was amazing how different I felt about myself.

Good work to you!

I bought a house

- My ADD kid seems to be adjusting to middle school really well (I was very nervous about this)

- I sold my first original script

- I'm in the final steps of selling a TV show, which if it gets past the pilot stage will change my life

- I just signed to write a movie where the director is the daughter of one of my biggest idols

Wow.

THIS FASCINATES ME!!!!!

We switched homeschool styles with Noah. He was starting to show a lot of eagerness for something more structured and has absolutely taken to ancient history.

I am SHOCKED at how much easier middle school has been for Oliver. The change in structure clicked for him like crazy.

It always shocks me when something seemingly small or sorta insignificant has such a HUGE impact on my kid.

After nearly eight years of grad school, the University of Colorado decided to go ahead and give me a PhD. For those curious, my dissertation was on elementary classroom practices which are shown to increase the long-term academic achievement and involvement in STEM content areas of underrepresented populations in STEM.

I was "promoted" to overseeing my school district's highly gifted student program. This was sold to me as a promotion despite not having a raise. There is a fun sentence in my contract reading "other administrative duties as needed". I guess leading a district-wide program falls under "other duties".

Oh, as of a week and a half ago, I am now a proud father of a baby boy. Indoctrination has already begun. Books read so far include Darth Vader and Son, Calvin and Hobbes: It's a Magical World, and Questions and Answers about Space. I was told one book I read to him, Lego Dino Safari, was too scary; I took it as a complement.

I finished revising the first half of a manuscript and I'm really happy with it. Hope to finish the second half by the end of the month and send it off to agents in February.

Related: I'm taking an online writing class and I got my first real critique yesterday (the first two weeks were just worldbuilding) and I don't feel like I should give us this writing thing, so yay?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.