2016 First Presidential Debate

Ms. Spam

That's appears to be his plan-- talk over her and get her to spar with him instead of focusing on her policy. He knows he can't beat her on policy. Even if people disagree with her policy, she talks like a politician and he rants. It's pretty much exactly what Carrie predicted above.

That's appears to be his plan-- talk over her and get her to spar with him instead of focusing on her policy. He knows he can't beat her on policy. Even if people disagree with her policy, she talks like a politician and he rants. It's pretty much exactly what Carrie predicted above.

For what it's worth, it's working. It's still early, and right now he's letting the silly tax return question distract him (he'd be better off smacking her around on the emails for a few more minutes), but he's dominating the discussion while Clinton is a bit lost in how to deal with him.

Where the difference in maintaining debate composure can be seen. Clinton had a question on her emails, spent two seconds on it before pivoting away. Took almost zero harm from it. Trump almost ignored it to chase his own tax question. Then later not pivoting on the questions of birther or the lawsuit. Spent a lot of time instead of just dismissing it and then moving on.

Furthermore, Trump got tired at about the 45 minute mark. He dominated before that, but he had a bad 15 minutes there.

I think "dominated" is a strong word. He certainly got her chasing her own tail in the first half, but once she stopped taking the bait he looked like a fool.

I think where she went wrong was pivoting to take shots at him instead of answering questions. He was actually shutting up and she provoked him to talking over her again. That was stupid.

Her response to the stamina comment though was pretty epic.

So, basically, it was Trump at first. But he didn't have the composure to get past the gotcha questions. I mentioned before the debate that he needed to get her chasing rabbits. Well, Trump was the one doing that.

Holt did Clinton's work for her by bringing out scandalous statements from Trump instead of policy questions. Trump, believe it or not, won on points when they were talking about policy. But he just couldn't help himself when someone attacked him and he reflexively defended himself. He chased those rabbits around, and a large portion of the last 50 minutes of the debate was him wallowing in his old statements and on the defense.

eh, Reagan's election turned on his last debate with Carter.

And pointless? Not quite I'll be blitzed by the time Colbert and Rob Lowe are on.

Clinton needs to make her more human and Trump needs to be less emotional but no ones really changing their minds with this debate.

Same thing I told Tank.

Your mind won't be changed by the debate.

Millions of others will.

eh, i don't see this one causing a bump for either in their polls. Yes, my mind wasn't changed but this is really a lost opportunity for Trump. I'm kind of disappointed. But OMG drunk.

eh, i don't see this one causing a bump for either in their polls.

Probably not. Which means it was a big missed opportunity for Trump. He had a chance to make his case that to the wobbly persuadable voters that might have wanted to believe in him, and I'm pretty sure he didn't help himself with that group.

Clinton was, frankly, pretty lousy throughout. But she was lousy in a bland/muddled way that let her survive until Trump punched himself out. And as long as Trump didn't win, she gets to be president.

BTW, what was up with that "Will you accept the results?" question at the end? Has one of them been threatening a coup and I haven't noticed? Just a strange, strange way to end the debate for a moderator.

The crowd I was with watching started out quiet but it changed towards the end. Those questions were kind of lame at the end. I'm dreading the memes after this. But I think they survived pretty good for a bunch of geriatric candidates. These dogs aren't going to do new tricks so basically you have to start thinking "I think I'll chose the candidate that doesn't scare the crap out of me concerning war and international topics".

Clinton was, frankly, pretty lousy throughout. But she was lousy in a bland/muddled way that let her survive until Trump punched himself out. And as long as Trump didn't win, she gets to be president.

Again, I think that's your dislike for all things Democrat leading you to say that. It wasn't a blow-out by any means, but when she stuck to policy she was fine. The stamina come back and the retort about preparing for the debate-- that was her beating Donald at his game.

I'm not exactly sure what debate Poe was watching because, as an admitted Hillary detractor and someone who won't be voting for her, debate was like night and day. Donald proved for 90+ minutes that he was out of his league by a master debater (by comparison) and that he's completely unqualified to be the GOP nominee.

He lied repeatedly (I did my own fact checking throughout the debate), he continuously cut off Hillary after first requesting she not cut him off in the beginning, and he just meandered through every turn, did his usual B.S. with the same dumb, common folk delivery, and when he wasn't talking, he looked like he wanted to be anywhere but there like a seven year old child, prediagnosed ADHD.

Anyone who's still supporting him: good Gods, hold your breath for a minute and don't stop for an instant. The worst candidate a party could nominate in... well, it happened twice in one cycle but Gods, Trump makes Hillary likable.

Guest El Chalupacabra

The pundits are almost across the board calling it a draw saying Trump started strong, and Clinton finished well. But I have to agree, Clinton edged Trump out. I don't think as decisively as you believe, though. But if the pundits declared a decisive victory for Clinton, so what: a) Trump would just claim the media was against him, and b) there are 2 more debates. The first is always the most boring one. Debate #2 is where they will be more themselves, then f*ck up. And Debate #3 they try to walk back debate #2, or downplay gaffs or mistakes.

Again, I think that's your dislike for all things Democrat leading you to say that. It wasn't a blow-out by any means, but when she stuck to policy she was fine. The stamina come back and the retort about preparing for the debate-- that was her beating Donald at his game.

Sure, against Trump. But her zingers fell painfully flat for the most part (Trumped-up trickle down anyone?) and she rather stumbled through her answers. Were she not being graded on the Trump curve, it would be a performance somewhere around Obama's first debate four years ago.

And I actually think the stamina thing, is your bias in the way. I know that's what you wanted her to say, so yeah, you considered it good. But the side-by-side where Clinton felt the need to suddenly overdo it with the smile as soon as stamina was brought up was rather terrible optics. Trump flailed with the birther, tax release, not paying his workers, and getting sued for racial discrimination, but his changing the face question to stamina was one that he scored the points he wanted to so that it was at least a draw at worst (I thought Trump came out better actually) as it was a basic exchange of insults.

Aside from Clinton getting him to chase on some of those accusations, Trump's damage was mostly self-inflicted by his need to argue and defend against the attacks instead of dismissing them quickly and hitting back.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.